• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Linc8301

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Indianapolis
    She has recently applied for a LT permit. Does anyone have any suggestions on a type of gun she should look at for her first. She has never really spent too much time at the range, but has spent some shooting random guns. Any suggestions? Thanks ahead of time.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The best thing she can do is head to a range that has several different types to rent and try as many as she can. This way she wont buy something that she does not like to shoot even if it feels good in her hand!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Wow, I know prices are going up, but thought the subject line was a interesting... Just needed to be prefaced with WTT: ;)

I'd advise she get out and test a few. We'd need more info on how competent she thinks she would be with various types of guns (i.e. revolver vs semiauto, and then there are many different types of semi auto). Is this something she is thinking of carrying on her person? Would she practice with it? Lots of variables. Maybe an initial basic pistol training course from some of the various instructors here such as ACT or Indy Gun Safety could help her make the decision.

Linc8301

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thank you all, Like i said she has shot before but nothing much. I plan on taking her to a range and letting her try a few before she buys like BigTanker said. She will carry it, and I am going to def instruct her to practice with it. I wont let her have the gun and not practice.lol

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    She has recently applied for a LT permit. Does anyone have any suggestions on a type of gun she should look at for her first. She has never really spent too much time at the range, but has spent some shooting random guns. Any suggestions? Thanks ahead of time.

Find out from her which guns she liked shooting and which ones she didn't. Plus, she probably needs to visit a gunshop and hold the different styles to see which one is the best for her. Men always like to suggest a revolver for beginners(especially ladies) but there are women out there who prefer semi-automatics like 1911s. It all depends on what feels good to HER. If she hates your or our suggestions for a carry gun she won't practice with it all.

Nemesis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Harrison County
    OH MAN, i almost fell out of my chair i was laughing so hard!!!

depending on how she handles the recoil, i had a 357 mag my wife shot, she didn't like it so i tried some 38 special loads in it, she didn't like it eater so we settled on a Smith and Wesson 380, its a nice little pocket gun and it also has a safety on it unlike a lot of the smaller pocket guns.

JJenn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    I thought the title here would make a great book title.
    I vote for the revolver, that's what my girl has.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Thank you all, Like i said she has shot before but nothing much. I plan on taking her to a range and letting her try a few before she buys like BigTanker said. She will carry it, and I am going to def instruct her to practice with it. I wont let her have the gun and not practice.lol

I guess my point on training was some of the basic pistol classes I mentioned let you shoot guns that they have and go over different types with folks, etc and that allows them to make up their own mind. Just a thought.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    While women can usually shoot a lot of semi-autos, the story changes when it comes to caring for it herself. Stripping most guns seems easy to most guys but it is impossible for most women. Forget what they can shoot....consider what they can completely care for themselves.

With that in mind, revolvers are a great choice for women. Care/maintenance is not a challenge. I don't recommend any semi's for beginning, female shooters.

model60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    My wife loves her 2" Rossi .38, she is comfortable with it, it's inexpensive {relative}, accurate within it's limits; summer carry on the place calls for .38 CCI shotshells

HalfCocked

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I totally agree with WebSnyper. Have her take the NRA pistol class. She will get a ton of great info and shot several guns in at least 2 calibers. It will be money well spent.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    These threads usually begin with the OP asking the group what they recommend for the sister, girlfriend, or wife. What they should get is something that fits what they like, and the purpose for which it is intended.

It's not about INGO, but the individual. Most important is familiarization, training, and building confidence. Will she be intimidated about the simple act of shooting during practice? If that potential obstacle is overcome, she will be much better prepared in case of a real situation calling for self defense.

That said, most of us gray headed men on the forum-started with a revolver. It's simpler to operate in some respects, understand, and clean after use. :D

Linc8301

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thank you all. I am gonna take your advice and try to get her to take a gun class. Hiker Im with you, I started off with a 357 magnum myself as my first gun.

Top Bottom