Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Our Instructional League is geared toward USPSA Competition. We are looking at creating a league that is separate and different geared toward self defense drills with firearms.

The idea is for this to be a 2-3 hour block of time on the range for $20-$25. It would involve shooting a set of drills 2-3 different drills with each shooter shooting them 2-3 times each. Our staff would be on hand to run the drills and provide instruction on what each shooter was doing well and what they could do better.

Possibly the last exercise would be a scenerio involving shoot and no-shoot targets.

1) How many would be willing to attend such an event?
    2) Would it make a differnce where the event was hosted? (Vigo County, Putnam County or Hamilton County)
    3) How often would you attend such an event?

Looking for sincere feedback.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    You had me at hello. :)

I would be interested. The closer to Indy the better. I would attend as often as my schedule allowed (a fixed schedule such as "the third Sunday of every month" or "every other Saturday", announced as far in advance as possible would greatly improve my odds of being able to do it).

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I would be very interested in such a class that would allow me to learn and develop new/better skills without needing to take up an entire day. I have been wanting to get involved in more class and training events, and have really been wanting take the plunge into USPSA, Friday Night Steel, and 3 Gun Matches... but with a young family it is hard to find time. I am not one that likes to start something unless I can show up and participate consistently, so I have put it off thus far.

I have committed myself to attend at last 1 class prior to the end of the year (which I expect to be IN Gun Law), at least 2 major events next year (Hopefully an Appleseed as one of these), and it would be great to supplement with additional training that does not require a tremendous amout of time committment, i.e., an entire weekend or whole day. I could see attending this once per month, perhaps every two weeks as time allows.

Location is somewhat irrelevant, as long as it rotated so everyone got a chance to be "local" and it didn't require a 2 hour drive to participate every time. For me personally, Atlanta or anywhere in the greater Indy area would be extremely convenient.

Thanks!!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Glad to see interest. We are in the planning stage and have discussed it some. As far as being like what is going on in Michigan I cannot say for certain. There will not be a timer involved in things for this league. It will not be a competition or stages like competition, but drills and scenarios.

I would like to see a monthly schedule developed so that we can advertise when the sessions will be held in advance. This feed back is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    would this be more along the lines of what stevemi and tfin have going on up in michigan? if so I would be very interested.

We don't know what they are doing in Michigan, so there is no way to answer your question effectively.

What we envision will be that we'll pick a skill or two and devote a session to just that. Sometimes it will be drills and sometimes it will be scenarios and sometimes it might be a little of both. The scenarios might resemble courses of fire from competitions, but we won't be doing it for the best time. We'll be doing to practice and test apprpriate skills of the day, and sometimes that will mean that slower is better. A similarity to our competition leagues is that there will be observation of a student's performance on a scenario, followed by feedback/criticism, and then they'll do it again with the intent of eliminating mistakes or improving execution or both.

An example might be that we'll work on draws from concealment and establishing a good firing grip on a consistent basis. Another time, we might focus on how to open a door safely with an unholstered gun. Another might be multiple threat engagement, incuding what kind of decisions are involved along with honing the skills such as target-to-target transitions. Another might be shooting from extreme close quarters. Another might be shooting on the move, including the decisions you have to make related to it.

The key is we'll do it manageable blocks of a few hours. No one will be overwhelmed with the "drinking from a firehose" syndrome that sometimes happen when the curriculum is a bit too ambitious for the students. What we won't do is endless repetitions with the intent of mastering a specific skill on the spot. Practice is a related but different thing, so we'll be more concerned with exposing people to new (to them) ideas, perhaps different ways of approaching old tasks, and evaluating where students may need to focus attention in their own practice. Having eyes on you that can tell you if you're doing something wrong or inefficiently can be a huge help, and suggestions on how to improve can be equally beneficial.

This won't be a replacement for our regular classes (or anyone else's), but will instead complement them. We may also try some things that we don't address or have time to address in a given class.

Last edited:

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I will attend as much as my schedule allows and I would likely bring female family members if I can drum up interest.
    I couldn't possibly get too much practice on any of the above mentioned topics .
    I prefer putnam county now that I have "the back way" down . I am sure its not in St louis

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Having it or one in Putnam County is the easiest place for the guy who does the set up. Glad to hear so many votes for that location.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    You had me at hello. :)

I would be interested. The closer to Indy the better. I would attend as often as my schedule allowed (a fixed schedule such as "the third Sunday of every month" or "every other Saturday", announced as far in advance as possible would greatly improve my odds of being able to do it).
    What is he said. Rotating counties or whatever is probably good for everyone in general.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Our primary facility is Coach's range, so most of these will be there (near Greencastle). If the demand is high enough, we'll probably do other venues. It's unlikely that it will happen anywhere where renting the range is necessary.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    I'm late as usual, but I think both my wife and I would attend as often as possible. With her working downtown Indy, and sometimes having to travel there late at night, I'm always concerned for her. And I could use the training too...

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Guys the February SDS (self defense seminar) will be from 2-5 pm at the Atlanta Conservation Club. It is going to be on the 20th. I know this is farther for you than Greencastle, but we wanted a gravel surface to work on for these early wet months of the year.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Our first SDS is scheduled for Jan 23. It is currently full with a wait list. We have one scheduled monthly, but the next three are going to be held at the Atlanta Conservation Club. If there is demand we could schedule additional session here in Putnam County for those who are closer. See our full schedule in the ACT forum here on INGO.

Top Bottom