• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wingcollector

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Zionsville
    I just picked up a 1945 production stocked Inglis High Power. The gun itself is near mint ( I'll try to post pics later) . My question is the stock. I know that the Canadian made stocks have been reproduced, but the stock that came with this one has, what I assume are Chinese characters on the left side. The hardware is also a bit different. It's well made, and fits well, and the pistol fits IN it well. But I can't seem to find any reference on the stocks, and the only pics I can find are of the Canadian stamped version. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Paul

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    IIRC, Inglis was already involved making BREN guns for England and Canada when they were approached about also making Browning P35s for the Canadian, Chinese and British governments. As FN was now controlled by the Nazi occupation, this was not done under license but by "reverse-engineering" from six FN-made samples obtained from the Chinese government. Inglis began production of P35s in February 1944 and stopped in September 1945. Total production was about 151,000 pistols.

Inglis P35s were produced with both tangent-type and fixed rear sights. The Chinese contracts are found with both types, while the British and Canadian ones are only the latter. Wooden holster/shoulder stock were furnished with the Chinese contract pistols, but whether those were routinely marked with Chinese characters or not, I don't know for sure. It would seem logical that they would be, IMO.

I suppose that it's also possible that what you have is a Chinese-made replacement. It might be worthwhile to see if you can find someone who can translate the characters for you as that might help determine its actual provenance and age.

Hope this is of some help.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    There are indeed certain year / location produced HiPower pistols that are specifically exempted from NFA / SBR hoopla.

There are specific rules about having the proper combination of pistol location & year of manufacture + stock location & year of manufacture.

http://www.titleii.com/bardwell/atf_letter70.txt That tech letter MIGHT help get you on the right track.

Hopefully your stock is/was original Canadian manufacture.

-J-

Top Bottom