• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pooty22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    I purchased a pistol on Saturday. I know that it was legal for me to take it home in my car without a license. Last night, my wife and I had a lengthy discussion on what I planned to use it for. I told her for target shooting and home defense. I told her that I can carry it to a range for practice without a license and she asked me to find out for certain if that's true. So was I correct? Clarity from a LEO is preferred or the law regarding this. Thank you for the help.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'll do you one better. Here is the Indiana Code on that topic:
    Indiana Code 35-47-2

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without being licensed; exceptions; person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.
    (b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
    (1) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person;
    (2) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body while lawfully present in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the person:
    (A) has the consent of the owner, renter, lessor, or person who legally controls the property to have the handgun on the premises;
    (B) is attending a firearms related event on the property, including a gun show, firearms expo, gun owner's club or convention, hunting club, shooting club, or training course; or
    (C) is on the property to receive firearms related services, including the repair, maintenance, or modification of a firearm;
    (3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;
    (4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case; or
    (5) the person carries the handgun:
    (A) at a shooting range (as defined in IC 14-22-31.5-3);
    (B) while attending a firearms instructional course; or
    (C) while engaged in a legal hunting activity.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    El Director is wise! :D

OP: go to the link he posted and print it, keep it with you when traveling to/from the range. There are still LEO's out there who are not fully acquainted with it, so having a copy could save you some hassle in the future.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    I purchased a pistol on Saturday. I know that it was legal for me to take it home in my car without a license. Last night, my wife and I had a lengthy discussion on what I planned to use it for. I told her for target shooting and home defense. I told her that I can carry it to a range for practice without a license and she asked me to find out for certain if that's true. So was I correct? Clarity from a LEO is preferred or the law regarding this. Thank you for the help.

you're good to go

why not just get your LTCH?

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    I doubt I'll ever be able to convince her to get hers. I'm having a hard enough time getting her to be okay with me carrying a gun.

Will she go with you to shoot it?

Alot of times people are just leary because they know nothing about it, if you teach her maybe she will jump on the boat??

I've known people to change their mind after they get to shoot!

Pooty22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    Will she go with you to shoot it?

Alot of times people are just leary because they know nothing about it, if you teach her maybe she will jump on the boat??

I've known people to change their mind after they get to shoot!

I'm going to try that but as of right now she's pregnant with our second child. I need to site her that they are safe enough to have around our kids. She's worried about a ND and if our kids will be able to get to it. She also doesn't want them to develop a fascination with them and think they aren't dangerous.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    You could try to get her to attend a class with you.

There are plenty of safety classes.

Just work on her slowly, hope she comes around and sees the light :)

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I doubt I'll ever be able to convince her to get hers. I'm having a hard enough time getting her to be okay with me carrying a gun.
    Tell her that the chances of her ever needing a firearm to defend herself or a family member is really pretty small. Statistically she won't need it. Then tell her when she and your kids are laying face down in the convenient store restroom waiting to be executed because they walked in on a robbery in progress she can reassure herself by saying, "Statistically this isn't happening."

Top Bottom