• ...and so much more!
  • slars1327

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    SPEEDWAY AREA
    Hi all,
    I am fairly new here and I am a transplant from another state.I am a retired sheriff's deputy and CCW under the federal law that was passed a few years ago to allow reitired police , sheriff's etc carry concealed within the us states and teritories etc.

My question is:

I have answered ads for guns for sale. One of the deals the gentleman (seller) was absolutely, positively under the belief that since I did not posess a Indiana conealed carry permit that I was in violation of the law and he could not and would not sell a pistol to me since he felt I was not leagal to carry. I showed him all my id's and paperwork as well as my retired star and ID. He was animate about my being illegal in Indiana.

What say you all......

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    He was wrong, but just trying to over his own a$$.

Welcome to Indiana, HGC, and thank you for your service!

Hope you have better luck in the future.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Hi all,
    I am fairly new here and I am a transplant from another state.I am a retired sheriff's deputy and CCW under the federal law that was passed a few years ago to allow reitired police , sheriff's etc carry concealed within the us states and teritories etc.

My question is:

I have answered ads for guns for sale. One of the deals the gentleman (seller) was absolutely, positively under the belief that since I did not posess a Indiana conealed carry permit that I was in violation of the law and he could not and would not sell a pistol to me since he felt I was not leagal to carry. I showed him all my id's and paperwork as well as my retired star and ID. He was animate about my being illegal in Indiana.

What say you all......

He's wrong. Let him wallow in his wrongness.

Welcome.

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Welcome to INGO!!!

Well first of all IF he said it was a CCW permit that shows how little he knows about indiana law IANAL but educated on INGO. Indiana has LTCH (Licence to carry handgun) which does not specify concealment. Secondly it is not illeagal for him to sell you the gun. It would be illeagal for you to posess the gun.(not his problem) I THINK your are leagle W/O LTCH but I'm not sure on that. If these are the sellers thoughts then he has the right to refuse the sale but he probally thinks it's registered to him too so move on to another deal and let him think what he wants to.

Last edited:

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you're good to go, on buying a gun and then taking it home even if you don't have a LTCH on a private sale.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    An LTCH is not required in any way, shape, or form for you to either purchase or possess a firearm in Indiana. However, Indiana law says:
    IC 35-47-2.5-14
    Providing handgun to ineligible purchaser; exemptions
    (b) A person who purchases a handgun with the intent to:
    (1) resell or otherwise provide the handgun to another person who the person knows or has reason to believe is ineligible for any reason to purchase or otherwise receive from a dealer a handgun; or
    (2) transport the handgun out of the state to be resold or otherwise provided to another person who the transferor knows is ineligible to purchase or otherwise receive a firearm;
    commits a Class D felony.
    Many face-to-face sellers use the Indiana LTCH as a way to verify that you are not ineligible to possess a firearm. It's not perfect as it can obviously be easily forged, but since non-LEO's have no way to perform a background check, we can only use what we've got. It's possible that he had some confusion about it after buying a firearm from someone else who asked to see his LTCH.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Although...

Being an Indiana resident may very well mean that you need to get the Indiana LTCH in order to be legal here in Indiana.

I'm not sure if LEOSA requires you to have your resident state's own permit/license or not.

*My limited understanding of LEOSA is that it allows you geographical "permission" to carry in areas that don't necessarily allow carry, but that it doesn't give "permission" to carry in otherwise off-limits areas (such as schools, for instance).

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Welcome to INGO!!!

Well first of all IF he said it was a CCW permit that shows how little he knows about indiana law IANAL but educated on INGO. Indiana has LTCH (Licence to carry handgun) which does not specify concealment. Secondly it is not illeagal for him to sell you the gun. It would be illeagal for you to posess the gun.(not his problem) I THINK your are leagle W/O LTCH but I'm not sure on that. If these are the sellers thoughts then he has the right to refuse the sale but he probally thinks it's registered to him too so move on to another deal and let him think what he wants to.

Even without an LTCH or other means of being legal (such as the LEO status,) it would not be illegal for a purchaser to posses the gun from point of purchase to his/her house. The law does not specify the purchase has to be made at a gun shop or FFL.

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    i believe that you must be a resident of the state where the gun is being sold....so as long as you had any ID that was proof you where and still are a resident of Indiana...you are good to go....you don't need a LTCH.....even at any gun shop..if you do not have proof of resident, some shops won't even allow you to handle their guns..

Top Bottom