• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    Does anyone here know if my employer can with hold my last paycheck if i cant find all my uniform items to turn back in? I have been with them for 3.5 yrs and have changed sites for them. Im a security guard and the second site i have worked at for the last 3 years doesn't want us to wear the badge and get mistaken for LEOs in the crap neighborhoods around work. I am trying to decide how hard to look for the stupid badge they gave me when i started at my other site. anyone with experience in this, please let me know what you did.

DISREGARD PLEASE. I found the items i was worried about.

Last edited:

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Do yourself a favor and check the IN . Labor board web sight .

Companies that require you to wear a uniform to work for them / perform company business for them , may NOT CHARGE YOU for those uniforms .

Although many do , it's not legal here but most folks don't know that so they get away with making you pay for uniforms to work for them .

Don't believe me ? Look it up then tell that company you want the money back for the uniforms .

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    From DOL: Home

Q: Can an employer fine an employee and take it out of his or her paycheck?
    A: No. An employer is not permitted under Indiana law to fine an employee and deduct the amount from his/her pay. After an employee receives his/her full check, however, an employer may ask an employee to pay him/her back for loans, goods or services rendered to the employee or for damage to company property. An employer may terminate an employee and/or file a lawsuit for failure to repay these types of debts.

Q: Can my employer deduct the cost of uniforms from my paycheck?
    A: Indiana law does not allow employers to deduct the cost of mandatory uniforms from an employee's paycheck. However, it does allow employers to deduct the purchase price of merchandise sold by the employer to an employee if it is at the request of the employee. With this said, if the uniform is optional and the employee makes a written request for the deduction, the cost may be deducted from the employees wages.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I guess I should read the code. I have been charged for these things in the past and it was employers word over mine. Why would I want to keep any of the crap uniforms.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Thanks for posting the law. I work at a restaurant and our employer always says you have to turn in your uniform to get your last pay check. AFAIK nobody has ever lost it and be denied the check.

I knew the employer couldn't fine us or " I'm taking that out of your check " the deductions area on the payroll is for other things. Courts, wage garnishments, something like that I would imagine.

marrell1482

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    NWI
    I'm being charged ten dollars a month for my crappy uniform. I brought it up to my employer and showed the lady at hr the dol website and she said "oh it's just how it's worded, we can do it" I emailed the dol about it and they just referred me to the faq.

Never pursued it any further although I would like to. Just not sure where to start honestly as I said I contacted the dol and they didn't help much. Don't mean to jack the thread but anyone have any suggestions?

marrell1482

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    NWI
    Yeah just like when they deducted 1/4 of my check for "damages to vehicle" with no notice what so ever or obviously my consent.

Top Bottom