• epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Can you daisy chain routers?

My apartment is getting over run with computers and networked items. Some are or can be wireless (PSP, PS3), but I would rather run a patch cable to them if possible and they aren't moving as it is faster and more reliable. I currently only have this:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT54G2-Wireless-G-Broadband-Router/dp/B0014J07R2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1223395073&sr=1-1[/ame]

Could I just use another 4 port router I have laying around and add 4 more ports or do I have to get another bigger router?

Thanks.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Or you could use a switch after the router, cheaper and easier. Just dont use a hub as can cause traffic jams.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    You can always turn off routing in the second router and use it as a big fancy switch..

So yeah, sure you can!

Okay, networking newb question. What is the difference between a router and switch?

I have an older (3-4 years old) D-Link 4 port router that I would like to be able to use. If I can turn it into a swtich, how would I go about doing that?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You can attach a router to another router, but unless you're subnetting your network, you shouldn't need to. There are daisy-chaining rules, but they won't come into effect in your situation.

A router is a device that separates two dissimilar networks (such as your home LAN and the internet, or sometimes your home wired and your home wireless network).

A switch and a hub are both signal repeaters, but where a hub will rebroadcast the signal on all ports, the switch will only broadcast a signal on the port that the traffic is destined for.

Some residential routers (like the DLink cable/DSL routers) include a 4 or 8 port switch built into the chassis. Nothing special needs to be done to use it as a switch, just don't use the port marked "Outside" or "Internet" (it's usually the one that's separated from the rest).

Also note that off-the-shelf cable/DSL routers generally have some services built into them that are turned on by default. A DHCP server, for example, that may try to hand out addresses that are invalid. Be sure to check for that and turn them off in the device's web config before implementing.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Just dont use a hub as can cause traffic jams.

In a SOHO, a hub is unlikely to be a bottleneck. Irrelevant anyway as it's becoming increasingly difficult to buy hubs anymore anyway, which means when I want to sniff traffic, I have to...get creative...with the switches I connect to. :D

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks.

So I just plug a wire from the router I have the cable modem plugged into into a one of the router ports (not the WAN port) of the other router and other than maybe shutting some things off, it should work?

If not I need to get a dedicated switch right?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Thanks.

So I just plug a wire from the router I have the cable modem plugged into into a one of the router ports (not the WAN port) of the other router and other than maybe shutting some things off, it should work?

If not I need to get a dedicated switch right?

Pretty much, yep.

Top Bottom