• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel's sister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Red dot in a blue state
    How many of these folks have read the Constitution and know what is in it? And when will the defense of the Constitution begin?

More than most of the civilian population I'd bet.

Let's not forget they do the bidding of the civilian leadership...most of whom, especially on the left, consider the Constitition to be a "flawed document". I seem to recall the current president expressing similar views.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    There is a difference. The first is more often deadly than the latter.

Maybe, but most will crap their pants when faced with active human aggression. So...is the fisherman more brave for taking the more dangerous job? That is what you are inferring. I believe that LEO's have a noble profession. We choose to go toe to toe with the boogie man on a daily basis. Soldiers in combat see worse. I'm not sitting here trying to puff up my profession but let us not minimize it either.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Maybe, but most will crap their pants when faced with active human aggression. So...is the fisherman more brave for taking the more dangerous job? That is what you are inferring. I believe that LEO's have a noble profession. We choose to go toe to toe with the boogie man on a daily basis. Soldiers in combat see worse. I'm not sitting here trying to puff up my profession but let us not minimize it either.

Like I said at the beginning, military personnel are a cut above.

And indeed leos have a dangerous profession... just not as dangerous as garbage men or many others.

Babysitters didn't make the top ten.

Last edited:

lumpy39us

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Being Military I have,
    Measured by fatalities per 100K, police officers rank in the top ten behind:

Fishermen
    Been on ships many times, though you might want to think the deck of a fishing boat is dangerous, try to imagine the deck of a ship involved in Military operations. Done with this one.
    Loggers
    My Military job involves operating in many different environments, I think I recall being in the forest's on a couple of occasions clearing roads and sites for AO's.
    Pilots
    In all of my Military career I can't recall ever flying in C130's, C5's, UH CH Helicopters. Ahh memories, whats that stuff leaking, oh it's just hydraulic fluid don't worry. Man when we landed every tire on the right side of the C130 blew out, we sure got lucky.
    Farmers
    = heavy equipment hazards, thankfully the Military uses, uhhhh. To have many pieces of large vehicles moving in a small area just might be comparable, ya think.
    Coal Miners
    Tunnel rats, might be comparable?
    Roofers
    I would sure like to have roofers available in some of the areas that our Military has been, but bottom line we have to do it!
    Garbage Workers
    Ha, I was dumping trash there were explosions going off every where. It made me wonder, are those aerosol cans or did some Idiot Soldier accidentally toss some of his rounds into the trash?
    and
    Truck Drivers
    The Military has it easy here, we only have to be able to drive on every road in the world. I'm sure the dangers of driving on the autobahn are minimal compared to the Nations roads. Driving in Kuwait scared the hell out of me! I think I heard once that the Military was exposed to some of the same hazards that civilian truck drivers face, IED's, Snipers, Ambush, Choke points, Break down's in hostile territory, Planning actions on contact, dealing with the wounded.
    Please provide me with a list of more really dangerous jobs so I can compare them to life in the Military.

The 15 Most Dangerous Jobs In America
    Next?
    I'm funny!

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Like I said at the beginning, military personnel are a cut above.

And indeed leos have a dangerous profession... just not as dangerous as garbage men or many others.

Babysitters didn't make the top ten.
    All military are a cut above? Why? I know quite a few military folks who have never seen anything more than a stateside desk for their career. Do my job for a week and you will see why I'm a babysitter..."My 5 yr old won't go to sleep." "My teen refuses to go to school." "My live-in boyfriend hid my car keys." "My room mate won't stop talking to me." blah blah blah...and it is only getting worse. Dispatch screens NOTHING, they send everything to us no matter how asinine. I deal with my share of in progress crimes and catch lots of criminals but I tire of the "nanny work" that gets dumped on us. Soon we will be getting called because people are too lazy to wipe their own arses. "Babysitting the world" because we are called FAR too often to deal with problems that should fall on parents to handle or at least should stay within the family. Your drunk brother at a family get together (who has hurt no one) should not need 911 called because no one will step up a drive him home. The effects of a nanny state overflow into our expected job descriptions.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Most LEOs and Military people dont join to be heroes, or the so called "perks". Just like any other job, there are always those couple. But lets look at it this way, when one cop goes rogue and breaks the law, the nation hears about it. When a farmer/fisherman goes "rogue" and breaks the law, unless its big time sensational, only his local area hears about it. Granted, thats abit simplified, but, for the most part true. Also, most military and LEOs aren't asking to be worshiped, however, all the ones that I know, would not like to be treated like crap. As pointed out before, most people only talk to the Police when they are pulled over, or something happened and they just broke the law. How many have actually tried to talk with one, or be nice with one like you talk to the kid bagging your groceries? Not so many. Maybe thats just some of my observations.
    I would say though, my thoughts on why they (Military and LEOs) are placed on the pedestal, is because for the most part, they are serving for the greater good. They are putting YOUR life ahead of their own. After all, when you are in trouble, who do you call?
    While I wouldn't say HERO worship them, I would say you should respect what they are willing to do for you. As for me, I have been to other countries as well, and as pointed out, most actually love Americans, especially our servicemen. There must be a reason why another country would love the American Army (and the rest of the military) more then their OWN countries' military. Of course, being the great nation that this is, not only are you entitled to your opinion, you can speak it without free of government repercussions. Anyway, thats just my 2 cents, take it for what its worth.

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    All i know is that ive called for the police on several ocasions and to find that they never show. Any more you cant even get them to come out to get a police report. I had my truck broken into and all of my tools stolen last year. Called to have the police come out and get a report. They took my info and a list of everything taken and said they would mail a report. Never got it. So what are our tax dollars going to? To serve and protect? It seems to me its more like doughnuts and making more money for the state via traffic citations. I'd say military is a cut above.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    All i know is that ive called for the police on several ocasions and to find that they never show. Any more you cant even get them to come out to get a police report. I had my truck broken into and all of my tools stolen last year. Called to have the police come out and get a report. They took my info and a list of everything taken and said they would mail a report. Never got it. So what are our tax dollars going to? To serve and protect? It seems to me its more like doughnuts and making more money for the state via traffic citations. I'd say military is a cut above.

Move to Carmel, we take reports on just about anything.... :D... actually..... :xmad:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

I am sure you can pick up a report if one wasn't mailed to you. Here we charge $12 a report and you can get a copy online if you pay. BTW, I hate doughnuts and could give 2 :poop: about money for the state. Love how that is the common jab at us though...doughnuts this or doughnut that...blah blah blah.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I am sure you can pick up a report if one wasn't mailed to you. Here we charge $12 a report and you can get a copy online if you pay. BTW, I hate doughnuts and could give 2 :poop: about money for the state. Love how that is the common jab at us though...doughnuts this or doughnut that...blah blah blah.

Come on, Denny. Your post defies logic. NOBODY hates doughnuts. Come on, there's at least one kind for everyone. Personally, I like the apple fritters. I pick through them and find the ones that the slacker employee left in a little too long. And you have to admit, the best coffee in the universe can be found at Dunkin' Donuts.

You lost me with that one, man.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Come on, Denny. Your post defies logic. NOBODY hates doughnuts. Come on, there's at least one kind for everyone. Personally, I like the apple fritters. I pick through them and find the ones that the slacker employee left in a little too long. And you have to admit, the best coffee in the universe can be found at Dunkin' Donuts.

C'mon man...I gotta tell myself that I hate them to keep my sugar craving at bay. I have a terrible sweet tooth. Any Officer caught eating one while in uniform in public should be beaten severely.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    C'mon man...I gotta tell myself that I hate them to keep my sugar craving at bay. I have a terrible sweet tooth. Any Officer caught eating one while in uniform in public should be beaten severely.
    any idea where that cops and doughnuts thing came from? i could be wrong but i doubt cops eat any more doughnuts than anybody else.

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    any idea where that cops and doughnuts thing came from? i could be wrong but i doubt cops eat any more doughnuts than anybody else.

29catqf.jpg

Id say from cops. :D

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Major General Smedley Butler USMC

Has the "good" we've done out way the bad ? Are the countries we've had our wars in any better off because of our efforts ?

IMO , we haven't been in a "just" war since WWII .

Seems to me , a lot of American (and foreign) blood has been shed just to make some corporate ****s rich while doing nothing for the common man .

Soldiers and LEO's alike , pawns in games that benefit neither .

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Major General Smedley Butler USMC

Has the "good" we've done out way the bad ? Are the countries we've had our wars in any better off because of our efforts ?

IMO , we haven't been in a "just" war since WWII .

Seems to me , a lot of American (and foreign) blood has been shed just to make some corporate ****s rich while doing nothing for the common man .

Soldiers and LEO's alike , pawns in games that benefit neither .

Depends on the who's view you are looking at. Im sure the thousands of people that were being killed in Bosnia, and surrounding areas are better off now that we have been there. Im sure in Somalia, it would have been a lot better off if we had been there abit longer, instead of how we tucked tail and ran after a victory. I do know that there are always a couple hundred reasons for any war that we have been to, including WW2. If we had gone all the way in the 1st Gulf War in 91, we most likely not had to go back in 03. Course, everyone on both sides of the aisle had been wanting to go back into Iraq since before 03, and even voted to go in, but forget that when they are running for election. As for the people living there, I do know that MOST of them are glad that we were there. And seems that is one country doing better. After all, now we know better what was going on, dozens of mass graves filled with hundreds of people. Yep, Im sure they are glad we stopped those.
    I know Grenada and Panama are better after our brush wars there. Shall I continue? When the US military is deployed, we don't go to conquer land, we go to try and make things better. Do we make mistakes, well, we are human too, so yes, mistakes are made. But we do way more good then any mistakes that are made.Its almost becoming funny that as Soldiers (and others in the military), that we are more welcomed in foreign countries then we are in our own country. Granted, a lot of that has changed since Vietnam, thanks to the veterans that were treated like crap, wanting to make sure that it would not happen again. Once again, as I stated before, most of us don't want to be worshiped, and did not join to be worshiped, but we just want to be treated with respect.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I will kick some butt for some good apple fritter. Longs on 16th. street west side indy....best I have found.

nemo97

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Well, for those of you who are adamantly defending the glorification of Mil/LEO and how "defend your freedoms" I want to know this: What freedoms have they defended in the past 12 years? I want specifics, not "they're out there fighting terrorists" talking-head news bulletins.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    All military are a cut above? Why? I know quite a few military folks who have never seen anything more than a stateside desk for their career. Do my job for a week and you will see why I'm a babysitter..."My 5 yr old won't go to sleep." "My teen refuses to go to school." "My live-in boyfriend hid my car keys." "My room mate won't stop talking to me." blah blah blah...and it is only getting worse. Dispatch screens NOTHING, they send everything to us no matter how asinine. I deal with my share of in progress crimes and catch lots of criminals but I tire of the "nanny work" that gets dumped on us. Soon we will be getting called because people are too lazy to wipe their own arses. "Babysitting the world" because we are called FAR too often to deal with problems that should fall on parents to handle or at least should stay within the family. Your drunk brother at a family get together (who has hurt no one) should not need 911 called because no one will step up a drive him home. The effects of a nanny state overflow into our expected job descriptions.

Coming from someone who gets mad at wasted sting operations and SWAT overkill, that crap just pisses me off. I can count on 1 hand how many times I've called 911 and they were all for accidents I witnessed (never anything for me).

There are very few things I'm calling 911/dispatch for. The rest I'll handle on my own thankyouverymuch.

Any Officer caught eating one while in uniform in public should be beaten severely.

ROFL!

Top Bottom