• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    NY hospital forced rectal exam Wed Jan 16, 11:26 AM ET

NEW YORK - A construction worker claimed in a lawsuit that when he went to a hospital after being hit on the forehead by a falling wooden beam, emergency room staffers forcibly gave him a rectal examination.

Brian Persaud, 38, says in court papers that after he denied a request by NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital emergency room employees to examine his rectum, he was "assaulted, battered and falsely imprisoned."

His lawyer, Gerrard M. Marrone, said he and Persaud later learned the exam was one way of determining whether he had suffered spinal damage in the accident.

Marrone said his client got eight stitches for a cut over his eyebrow.

Then, Marrone said, emergency room staffers insisted on examining his rectum and held him down while he begged, "Please don't do that." He said Persaud hit a doctor while flailing around and staffers gave him an injection, which knocked him out, and performed the rectal exam.

Persaud woke up handcuffed to a bed and with an oxygen tube down his throat, the lawyer said, and spent three days in a detention center.

A request by the hospital to dismiss Persaud's lawsuit was denied by Justice Alice Schlesinger, who ordered a trial to start March 31.

Hospital spokesman Bryan Dotson said, "While it would be inappropriate for us to comment on specifics of the case, we believe it is completely without merit and intend to contest it vigorously."

Persaud's lawsuit, filed in Manhattan's state Supreme Court, seeks unspecified damages. A judge dismissed a misdemeanor assault charge against him.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    IIRC when this was originally posted on Glocktalk, there were several MDs, pointing out why it was the right thing to do. The went in with the doctor mumbo jumbo and I forget why, but there was a medical reason for that rectal exam and they forcibly did it because a. he wasn't fully coherent (i.e. couldn't understand the possible consequences of not having it done) and b. for CYA so that if he died or caused a large health issue later on, they couldn't be sued.

I know it sounds messed up, but the human body is completely linked and works in funny ways. An injury in the head could cause a problem somewhere else. I am going to have to trust those with the medical degree on this one.

Top Bottom