• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I just think the Glock slogan didn't get translated correctly. It isn't "Perfection", it's "Potential". It isn't hopeless, like a Hi-Point. But it needs to be overhauled right out of the box. After all, why all the aftermarket support for a perfect machine?

LOL....I always thought "perfection" with at least four "generations" of Glocks makes me think Gaston's Austrian to English Dictionary may have been off a few words...

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    LOL....I always thought "perfection" with at least four "generations" of Glocks makes me think Gaston's Austrian to English Dictionary may have been off a few words...

Truth be told, I don't mind them. They're somewhere around the 50th percentile of handgun awesomeness. But I do love to poke a glockophile.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I fired many abused 1911's in the military, no issues to feed or fire and always hit where I was aiming (at the target or not).

I claim no expertise, but folks I trust have said to me that the 5" in .45 feeding ball is "the grail" of reliability in the 1911. The further one deviates from that formula, the more likely to encounter reliability issues.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    No handgun, or machine of any kind, is perfect.
    No operator, of any machine, is perfect.
    The more you train, generally, the better off you will be.
    But, not all "formal" training is good and productive training.
    Not all "informal" training is as bad as some make it seem.
    Do the best you can with what you have.
    Try to get as much good information about the topic as you can.
    Then make informed decisions.
    Be honest with yourself. Giving yourself an alibi for a lack of preparation and training will only hurt you.
    Be honest with yourself. Choose a weapon that maximizes your strengths and eliminates as much as possible your weaknesses.
    Be honest with yourself. Any gun will work if you are properly prepared.
    Be honest with yourself. Any gun can fail if you are not properly prepared.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Just to pile on, and get a post in this thread....

The only recent failures I have seen were both in 1911's. One jammed trying to feed a round, and jammed so well it took several minutes to clear. The other would not chamber about every other round. It was a rental, and the counter said it hadn't been cleaned in a few days.

Neither failure seemed to be safety-related, though.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just to pile on, and get a post in this thread....

The only recent failures I have seen were both in 1911's. One jammed trying to feed a round, and jammed so well it took several minutes to clear. The other would not chamber about every other round. It was a rental, and the counter said it hadn't been cleaned in a few days.

Neither failure seemed to be safety-related, though.

Nothing party's like a rental.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I just think the Glock slogan didn't get translated correctly. It isn't "Perfection", it's "Potential". It isn't hopeless, like a Hi-Point. But it needs to be overhauled right out of the box. After all, why all the aftermarket support for a perfect machine?

People like to tinker and make something that runs great, run worse. Almost every issue I've seen with a Glock is from someone messing with the internals. Some of them were from the Gen 3 to 4 changes, mostly the ejector. I never saw one malfunction because of it, but the ejection was erratic and people didn't like getting hit in the face with brass for some reason.

As far as having four generations (now five if you count the newer one that is apparently having issues), there are a lot of reasons for it. The main one is customers demand new ****. If Glock never came out with anything new, their popularity and sales would diminish for no other reason than they would become "the same old ****" regardless of their reliability. Another thing that drives change are military contracts that want something specific, this forces Glock to change this or that to meet the criteria if they are trying for the contract.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    People like to tinker and make something that runs great, run worse.

What a statement of ironic truth. I was 16 the first time I saw that. A local kid had a Pontiac that most days could stay with my Chevy, if he got the jump, he had me. Neither one of us was a very good mechanic. He got some money and bought some junk "speed" parts from J.C. Whitney. Looked cool under the hood and all, but after that he couldn't begin to keep with me even if I was asleep at the launch.

We have seen guys do that with pistols too. First he is showing off some "way cool" upgrade, and then he cannot finish an event. You kind of feel sorry for the guy, as the stress of pistol problems causes him to make dumb mistakes even when the pistol actually fires. All part of the education process.

Top Bottom