• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    ...but it all needs to be built on a rock solid foundation of habit and practical application.

There's a lot we disagree on and I've reread the OP's post in this thread and yours as well. I wouldn't change my recomendation unless the circumstances some how change such as they purchase a different gun or other equipment. My recomendations are for use of existing equipment the OP has listed as owning in this thread.

At least on this much we agree and I'd rather drop it on a positive note than bicker to no useful conclusion for the original poster.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Hey, the way I see public forums is this: Everyone is entitle to an opinion, right or wrong it really doesnt matter to me. I post a new thread, and look forward to everyones response. It gives me great ideas or a different way of thinking. If its something negative, I just blow it off. Overall its a great way of seeing things I wouldnt have maybe picked up on. That what makes this place so great.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    doglb ... for what my opinion is worth, Glock21 is someone whose opinion I always value. First of all, I've known him a few years and assessed his knowledge, wisdom and character. I've trained alongside him as a student and I've been in classes where he was an instructor. Then there is the thing that he's a close associate of Vicki Farnam. Vicki literally wrote the book on how to teach women to shoot and to protect themselves with firearms. The DTI (Farnam) people see a lot of female students each year and they've put a lot of thought and done a lot of experimenting with how meet the special needs of students, including those particular to women. I'm not implying that anyone should defer to Glock21 or anyone else, but I think we should all know that his opinions are based on a lot of experience.

With that out of the way, I also think carry in the appendix position will ultimately be the best option. Quite a few IWB holsters work really well, but they need to be either vertical or have a slight crossdraw/rearward cant (i.e. the opposite of the FBI can of most strong side holsters). I've been carrying in the appendix position with my second gun for a few years with an IWB holster that is adjustable for various angles and heights (a Comp-Tac CTAC). I recently got a Blade-Tech IWB holster for a Glock 17, which you can adjust for a vertical orientation and it works nicely in the appendix position as well. Even though I'm not a woman (last time I checked), I think it will still work well for your wife.

Another option would be some kind of dedicated bag or pouch that is not her purse, preferably one that is attached to the body in some way. Dedicated Belt packs/fanny pouches are ridiculed by some, and they introduce additional safety concerns on the draw/presentation, but they are an option to consider.

Here's another thing. All of us who are serious about carrying firearms all of the time have had to make some compromises in how we dress and our relative level of comfort. If your wife is serious about carrying, she may need to make some changes in how she dresses, which could ultimately be the best way to deal with this situation.

Good luck helping your wife to solve her problem.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    doglb ... for what my opinion is worth, Glock21 is someone whose opinion I always value. First of all, I've known him a few years and assessed his knowledge, wisdom and character. I've trained alongside him as a student and I've been in classes where he was an instructor. Then there is the thing that he's a close associate of Vicki Farnam. Vicki literally wrote the book on how to teach women to shoot and to protect themselves with firearms. The DTI (Farnam) people see a lot of female students each year and they've put a lot of thought and done a lot of experimenting with how meet the special needs of students, including those particular to women. I'm not implying that anyone should defer to Glock21 or anyone else, but I think we should all know that his opinions are based on a lot of experience.

With that out of the way, I also think carry in the appendix position will ultimately be the best option. Quite a few IWB holsters work really well, but they need to be either vertical or have a slight crossdraw/rearward cant (i.e. the opposite of the FBI can of most strong side holsters). I've been carrying in the appendix position with my second gun for a few years with an IWB holster that is adjustable for various angles and heights (a Comp-Tac CTAC). I recently got a Blade-Tech IWB holster for a Glock 17, which you can adjust for a vertical orientation and it works nicely in the appendix position as well. Even though I'm not a woman (last time I checked), I think it will still work well for your wife.

Another option would be some kind of dedicated bag or pouch that is not her purse, preferably one that is attached to the body in some way. Dedicated Belt packs/fanny pouches are ridiculed by some, and they introduce additional safety concerns on the draw/presentation, but they are an option to consider.

Here's another thing. All of us who are serious about carrying firearms all of the time have had to make some compromises in how we dress and our relative level of comfort. If your wife is serious about carrying, she may need to make some changes in how she dresses, which could ultimately be the best way to deal with this situation.

Good luck helping your wife to solve her problem.
    :patriot: The fanny pack is a good option althoug it takes some practice to use, I'm I guy and it's a good option when your just in shorts and a T shirt. most SD experts I've listen to on some PD videos dont recomend purses because a purse snatcher can get it too easily unless you totally aware of whats going on around you, if he gets it he's got everything including your GUN!

Top Bottom