• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    N.E corner
    I was talking to someone today and was asked a question that I didn't know the answer to. If you lived in another state and owned Class III nfa items then moved to Indiana, are you required to re-register them with a change of address. I don't have much, if any, knowledge about nfa stuff and told him I would see what I could find out.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    No. You're not required to re-register them.

For machine guns, short-barrel rifles (and short-barrel shotguns, though they're illegal in Indiana so this wouldn't apply) and destructive devices, you are required to get an approved 5320.20 before moving them interstate. You fill out the same form that you would for travel to another state, though you would check "No" on the return to origin box.

For silencers and AOW's this is not REQUIRED, though it is RECOMMENDED to keep the registry accurate.

My advice would be to fill out 5320.20's listing anything you're taking to Indiana. This will effect the change of address in the registry.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    No. You're not required to re-register them.

For machine guns, short-barrel rifles (and short-barrel shotguns, though they're illegal in Indiana so this wouldn't apply) and destructive devices, you are required to get an approved 5320.20 before moving them interstate. You fill out the same form that you would for travel to another state, though you would check "No" on the return to origin box.

For silencers and AOW's this is not REQUIRED, though it is RECOMMENDED to keep the registry accurate.

My advice would be to fill out 5320.20's listing anything you're taking to Indiana. This will effect the change of address in the registry.

Exactly this. And that doesn't just apply to Indiana, the process is the same no matter where you move (with the exception of... Virginia I think... where you have to register your MGs with the state).

If its an emergency move, you can even call the ATF to get approval to fax it in. Last time I did that it was a 3 day turn around. Normally its a week or two in my experience.

Top Bottom