• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Except that in this instance the request is made to circumvent state law. That should be a red flag to anyone, regardless of party or political leaning.

Interesting take. I consider it asking for help working within state law. To me, "circumventing" would be finding a way to get Libertarians on the ballot without having had 2% of the vote. Even if someone asked for my vote for whatever reason they can think of, my vote is still valid.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Interesting take. I consider it asking for help working within state law. To me, "circumventing" would be finding a way to get Libertarians on the ballot without having had 2% of the vote. Even if someone asked for my vote for whatever reason they can think of, my vote is still valid.

Absolutely. To circumvent means to go around. This request works with and within the rules.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Except that in this instance the request is made to circumvent state law. That should be a red flag to anyone, regardless of party or political leaning.
    If you think that broke election laws in some manner then I suggest that you report it to the Secretary of States office for criminal investigation. I, for one, say you're flat out wrong and that your report will be filed in the appropriate receptacle in the SoS office. This was nothing more than a request for a vote. Period. Shoot, some of Mike Wherry's own radio commercials said just the same.

Now, if you've already voted, my guess is that you probably cast a vote for Charlie White, the gop candidate. Someone whom you knew absolutely nothing about. Were you aware that he's currently facing accusations (backed up by his own admissions) that he committed voter fraud? Were you aware that he broke campaign laws in advertising? Feel good about that vote?

Mike Wherry is a USN vet and small businessman who actually dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's and played by the rules the state set up. And did all the necessary homework to make a good candidate. All Charlie did was be a party hack.

The gop has to garner at least 2% of the vote to maintain ballot access, too. So do the dems. An individual asking for a vote is not breaking any laws or manipulating anything.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    If you think that broke election laws in some manner then I suggest that you report it to the Secretary of States office for criminal investigation. I, for one, say you're flat out wrong and that your report will be filed in the appropriate receptacle in the SoS office. This was nothing more than a request for a vote. Period. Shoot, some of Mike Wherry's own radio commercials said just the same.

Now, if you've already voted, my guess is that you probably cast a vote for Charlie White, the gop candidate. Someone whom you knew absolutely nothing about. Were you aware that he's currently facing accusations (backed up by his own admissions) that he committed voter fraud? Were you aware that he broke campaign laws in advertising? Feel good about that vote?

Mike Wherry is a USN vet and small businessman who actually dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's and played by the rules the state set up. And did all the necessary homework to make a good candidate. All Charlie did was be a party hack.

The gop has to garner at least 2% of the vote to maintain ballot access, too. So do the dems. An individual asking for a vote is not breaking any laws or manipulating anything.

I didn't say there was anything illegal about it, and you have to lack any reason to claim I did. I said asking that someone vote for your candidate simply on the basis of your ability to easily get on statewide ballots is manipulating and corrupt. I'll add unethical. You don't think so because he's your guy. That's fine. Go ahead and defend corruption when it suits you.

My issue was not with the candidate. It was with the unethical request BY A PARTY OFFICIAL. Not that it's any of your business, but I voted for Wherry. I voted for him because of the ethical lapses White seems to have. See, I believe in acting honorably at all times. Even when it doesn't serve you to.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Does anyone else have an issue with manipulating the voting process to benefit a particular political party? Isn't this exactly the kind of corruption we rail against Republicrats for?

I'd like to see the laws manipulated such that they stop exclusion of other parties from the ballot in the first place. Why should the outcome of the SoS race have anything to do with Libertarians' statewide ballot access in the future? The real corruption is in the laws that you defend.

If you want to see real manipulation, then you should look further into how the Republicans/Democrats have manipulated the laws/rules in order to keep out 3rd parties/ 3rd party candidates and independents.
    :+1:

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I voted for him as I had already made up my mind that he was the best choice anyway. I was #2 to vote in my precinct, somebody beat me to the machine this time.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I'd like to see the laws manipulated such that they stop exclusion of other parties from the ballot in the first place. Why should the outcome of the SoS race have anything to do with Libertarians' statewide ballot access in the future? The real corruption is in the laws that you defend.

:+1:

1. I get it. Corruption is OK and ethics be damned as long as it positively impacts your cause.

2. I'm not defending nor am I for or against the law. It's simply the law. I don't know why it is written the way it is. Probably to keep tweakers off the ballot. If you want it changed elect legislators who will change it.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I didn't say there was anything illegal about it, and you have to lack any reason to claim I did. I said asking that someone vote for your candidate simply on the basis of your ability to easily get on statewide ballots is manipulating and corrupt. I'll add unethical. You don't think so because he's your guy. That's fine. Go ahead and defend corruption when it suits you.

My issue was not with the candidate. It was with the unethical request BY A PARTY OFFICIAL. Not that it's any of your business, but I voted for Wherry. I voted for him because of the ethical lapses White seems to have. See, I believe in acting honorably at all times. Even when it doesn't serve you to.
    You did indeed say that something illegal took place. No corruption has occurred nor has any manipulation. A person asked for a vote for a candidate. There's nothing unethical about it. Doug is a member of his COUNTY party, as are many people. Is it your contention that party members cannot ask you to vote for their candidate for a good reason? Bet Michael Steele and his dem counterpart will be interested to know that. The same applies to many hundreds of Facebook postings, radio appearances and ads by the LPIN. As for your acting in an honourable manner....you've got a strange way of doing it by spreading deliberate falsehoods about people. If you still think something corrupt has taken place is it not your duty to report it to the authorities? Let us know how that works out for you.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    1. I get it. Corruption is OK and ethics be damned as long as it positively impacts your cause.

I don't see it as corrupt or unethical. He is asking for peoples vote for a specific and forthright reason, if they do not have preference in that election.

No more corrupt than asking someone to vote for a specific party to keep the other party out, or telling someone if they vote for a third party they are throwing away their vote.

You did indeed say that something illegal took place.

I don't agree with his reasoning. But I also don't believe he said anything illegal was taking place. He stated that it was in his opinion unethical and corrupt. That is not the same as illegal. Quite a few years ago when I lived in Lake Co IN, the Sheriff handed out special deputy status to friends and political supporters. While IMO it was unethical and quite possibly corrupt it was legal for him to do so.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    There's nothing unethical about the request. I voted for the Libertarian candidate in my District's (in Colorado) congressional race because the Republican is a sure winner, but I would like to see the Libertarians gain more political clout. That clout will influence the Republicans to modify their positions. I don't believe the Libertarian party will ever be a major party, however.

The political process isn't a test of purity, it's a practical exercise in influencing the type of government we have. If I want more Libertarian presence on the ballot, but I also want to make sure we have a Republican instead of a Democrat, such a vote is perfectly reasonable, smart and there's nothing unethical about it.

Don't just declare it unethical, make your case.

Top Bottom