• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do think this law is a good thing? (multiple choice.)

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    IMO the passing of this law, which by the way I am in support of, will do nothing but allow you to protect yourself to and from work. As has been mentioned, the types that would do this or are planning this don't care about the law or they wouldn't fit into that catagory.

With that being said though, I also think there are very few that would safely get out of an ongoing active shooter situation, get to their car, get their gun, and then go back inside. I'm not saying it wouldn't or couldn't happen just that I see that as unlikely.

Plus if you add to that the shoting would probably be over by the time you got back in.......:dunno:.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Gun-friendly bill breezes through House

What does everyone think, a step in the right direction, or potentially giving someone a gun so they can shoot up a work place after having a bad day.

My thoughts are that it might result in higher workplace shootings, but would also lower the deaths as people could defend themselves after the threat is presented.

I also think that the type of person that is more proabable to commit a workplace shooting would pay no attention to a law that prohibits him from carrying a gun in his car while he is at work. :twocents:

You do understand, don't you, that your last paragraph kind of invalidates the first part of your second paragraph, don't you? If someone is the kind to shoot up a workplace, they surely aren't going to be bothered by workplace rules against doing so!!!

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Did Obama write those poll choices?...

My opinion is that the law is a waste of time. This is an at-will state regarding employment agreements. If they can't fire me for a gun in my car, they can fire me for wearing a blue shirt on the 17th.

Regardless, I'll continue carrying my firearm in my holster without my employer's knowlege. It's only his insurance agent who cares anyhow. If I get fired...so be it. The US & Indiana constitutions both recognize my inalienable RTKBA & I will act accordingly...including a strict avoidance of areas in which my firearm is unconstitutionally barred by unconstitutional laws which no self-respecting LEO should ever enforce.

I will not hide my firearm away in my car (hoping it isn't stolen) for 8-10 hours every day while walking around claiming that I'm a 2A supporter. :twocents:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I also think that the type of person that is more proabable to commit a workplace shooting would pay no attention to a law that prohibits him from carrying a gun in his car while he is at work. :twocents:

There was never a law to prohibit this, just company rules. :dunno:

This law only says they can't enforce that rule inside your vehicle.

.fourfive

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    bloomington, IN
    You do understand, don't you, that your last paragraph kind of invalidates the first part of your second paragraph, don't you? If someone is the kind to shoot up a workplace, they surely aren't going to be bothered by workplace rules against doing so!!!

the second paragraph doesnt invalidate the first.

with a higher percentage of guns being brought to work it is only reasonable to assume there would be an increase in work place shootings, or shootings to and from work.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute

with a higher percentage of guns being brought to work it is only reasonable to assume there would be an increase in work place shootings, or shootings to and from work.

Why is it reasonable to assume this? If more people have guns then the criminals might be less likely to act. Do you have some hard data other than your assumptions?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

Really? Isn't that kind of like "it's only reasonable to assume that a higher number of people carrying guns will increase crime?"

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I dont like the poll choices either... i think its a step in the right direction, not a perfect law, but maybe in a few years we can pass another one allowing the gun into the work place.... baby steps here guys, baby steps.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN

would this be what they call, manufacturing your own facts?

birdhunter55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Clarksburg, Indiana
    I really believe the law is unnecessary. The 2nd amendment gives us the right to Keep and Bear Arms. Keep as in own, possess. Bear as in carry. IE: I bear the weight of my actions and decisions, My wife is no longer in her child Bearing years. It doesn't specify that I can only Bear Arms where you or anyone else decides that I might. It states that it is my right to BEAR arms. So, why do I need a law saying I can carry it in my car at work? For that matter, why do I need a permit or license to exercise my right? Maybe because we let them get by with it?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I dont like the poll choices either... i think its a step in the right direction, not a perfect law, but maybe in a few years we can pass another one allowing the gun into the work place.... baby steps here guys, baby steps.

I think an employer should have the right to prohibit firearms in their workplace if they wish. I don't think we should be allowed to override their property rights any more than they should be able to override ours by trying to control what we can and can't have in our cars.

However, I do think the law should make clear that employers that choose to disarm citizens are liable for any victims of violent crime in their workplace, since by doing so the employer has chosen to assume responsibility for their safety.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I think an employer should have the right to prohibit firearms in their workplace if they wish. I don't think we should be allowed to override their property rights any more than they should be able to override ours by trying to control what we can and can't have in our cars.

However, I do think the law should make clear that employers that choose to disarm citizens are liable for any victims of violent crime in their workplace, since by doing so the employer has chosen to assume responsibility for their safety.

THAT would be nice :yesway:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    :wow:

Poll Fail. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by .fourfive

With a higher percentage of people bringing their lunch into work it is only
    reasonable to assume there would be an increase in work place chokings,
    or chokings before or after work. :twocents:

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I do think the law should make clear that employers that choose to disarm citizens are liable for any victims of violent crime in their workplace, since by doing so the employer has chosen to assume responsibility for their safety.
    :yesway:...Bingo!! Rep prize for that one(even though it won't let me)..On the other hand, you'll pardon me if I don't hold my breath while we try to get that passed.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Maybe it's not the greatest law ever passed, but if you work in a zero firearm tolerance workplace, this will let you have some defense in driving to or from work.

Top Bottom