• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Edit: Thanks! Got our question answered and made a purchase!

I know somebody who recently told me that he prefers his Taurus 709 to his first love, his Glock 26. He likes the thumb safety and the grip angle of the 709, but wants the higher capacity of the 26. In an email, he said,

I like the Glock. The Taurus is better, though, because the angle is better and the manual safety is thumb activated. I would really like a 709 the size of the G26, but I am not going to expend the cash to change over. I can manage with my current equipment. I just have to remember to cock my wrist.

It'd be nice to be able to recommend to him something that might suit him better, but I need some help coming up with suggestions.

I can tell you straight away, he isn't interested in the 1911 or the XD primarily because of the grip safety (but he also finds the 1911 too complicated to field strip). So other things that would be considered similar to the 709 but closer to the size of a G26 or even the G19 as he recently discovered he is more accurate with that size pistol.

Thanks, y'all!

Last edited:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    s&w m&p

you can get some models w/ or w/o thumb safeties, they have good ergonomics and point-of-aim. as with any handgun purchase, always go to a local shop and fondle a few

^^^^^What he said^^^^^

An S&W MP9 Compact would fit the bill. That's next on my list.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I traded my 709, not because I didn't like it as I still have other Taurus weapons, but because I didn't want a safety on my EDC. Now I carry a Kahr CW9 and am very happy with the trade. Size is similar except the handle and the mag provides just a bit more room than the 709 did so my pinky fits in at the bottom very well. Just a thot.

I also would recommend the S&W M&P9c which I own and love however it is a double stack and so slightly wider to carry.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Sweet. I think he might like the M&P9. I didn't realize until just now when I looked it up that it has the trigger safety, like the XD and Glock, which he really likes.

Product: Smith & Wesson M&P9c - Compact Size, Thumb Safety

I know that he'll like the look of the PT111, with its similarity to his 709, but without the trigger safety, I think he'll be biased against it.

Ohhhhhh but look at this! I'd not heard of this. This might be exactly what he is hoping to find!

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Anybody know anything about the Taurus PT24/7 G2 9MMCOMP?

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ruger SR9c.

- Frame mounted safety
    - Safe-action (ish) trigger
    - Trigger is very crisp and relatively light (aprox 5lbs)
    - comes with 1 10rnd mag & 1 17rnd mag with grip extension
    - Comparable in size to the G26

I'd say that is right up his alley

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    Ruger SR9c.

- Frame mounted safety
    - Safe-action (ish) trigger
    - Trigger is very crisp and relatively light (aprox 5lbs)
    - comes with 1 10rnd mag & 1 17rnd mag with grip extension
    - Comparable in size to the G26

I'd say that is right up his alley

Yes I forgot about the ruger. These sweet feeling and looking guns. I've yet to shoot one.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thanks to all who contributed to this! My friend checked out all the ones that were mentioned in here. And then he saw this gun (link below) listed in the INGO classifieds, so he met the guy and checked it out, liked it, and picked it up tonight. It will be his new EDC as soon as he gets new holsters that will fit it. Be watching for a G26 to be listed soon!

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...d_revolvers/154707-taurus_pt_24_7_pro_ds.html

Thanks again for all our input.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks to all who contributed to this! My friend checked out all the ones that were mentioned in here. And then he saw this gun (link below) listed in the INGO classifieds, so he met the guy and checked it out, liked it, and picked it up tonight. It will be his new EDC as soon as he gets new holsters that will fit it. Be watching for a G26 to be listed soon!

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...d_revolvers/154707-taurus_pt_24_7_pro_ds.html

Thanks again for all our input.

I have to admit it, mk2ja was right when he told me I needed to replace the G26 with a larger unit. The key point was that my shooting is much more accurate with the the Taurus 24/7. So, my father's day gift from my son was help in improving my shooting. +1 for mk2ja.

Top Bottom