• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Let me start out by saying that I am not the most articulate person in the world, so grammar Nazis please seek your jollies in a different thread.

I would like some assistance in finding a local family that could "SOME" help with Christmas (I do not like giving monies to charities due to the fact I do not know how much actually goes to help those in need versus so called operational expenses). I would like to help someone that would appreciate it, not someone to lazy to do for themselves.

Below are some thoughts, please feel free to make helpful comments.
    1) I think it might be best to accompany the forum member who recommends the family on a shopping trip.
    2) My funds are limited so no $500 gaming systems.
    3) Wednesday 12/17 is my best available shopping evening.
    4) I live on the west side of Indianapolis so logistically, shopping in Brownsburg would be great for me.

If you know someone like I have mentioned and can take time to help facilitate this, please let me know via a posting or pm. I would like to make a final selection by Sunday evening.
    Thanks,
    Dominic

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Good on you for thinking of others. You may want to consider helping at soup kitchens or other such places too. The best gift isn't bought in a store, it's shared from your heart. Let me know if you find something and I'll help.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    United Christmas Service of Central Indiana has a program where you (or a group) can "adopt" a family. They will provide a list of the family's wants and needs, number and ages of the kids, etc.. At my old job our department would sponsor a family every year. Apparently it's not too late this year, with December 17th being the deadline.

United Christmas Service

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    If you want your donations to go to the recipient instead of funding the organization, then donate to Toys for Tots, find an organization sponsoring an angel tree, donate food items to church pantries.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Take it as you will, but the kids need something to open, and not just packages of underwear or coats. Find a family that's trying to make it work right, and give the children some magic. Yeah, magic costs some money, but that little tear in the corner of a child's eye is worth more than you can afford to spend, yet costs less than you could give.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Take it as you will, but the kids need something to open, and not just packages of underwear or coats. Find a family that's trying to make it work right, and give the children some magic. Yeah, magic costs some money, but that little tear in the corner of a child's eye is worth more than you can afford to spend, yet costs less than you could give.
    That is EXACTLY what I am looking for. What I would call a fringe family. they make enough to survive life, not enjoy life.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That is EXACTLY what I am looking for. What I would call a fringe family. they make enough to survive life, not enjoy life.

Wife and I did this for years but a run of bad luck stopped it some years ago and we never picked it back up when our personal struggles cleared up. One of my buddys in the OSUT mentioned he and his wife did this so we went on the search. My MIL church had a list of truly needy folks. My wife actually got to meet the single mother of 3 we picked from that list. She has been busy getting a nice Christmas together for them. She found/delivered a mid sized tree and with our endless supply of ornaments she and the kids decorated it. I was (and still am) sick and I missed this but she was all a-glow with the spirit when she came home. She will be taking the packages out sometime this weekend.
    I only share this as the joy from these simple acts have lingered with us as a family. The act of giving/sharing is the true meaning of this blessed Holiday. It is not the money. Oh she exceeded the "Budget" you can be sure of that but when her and my daughter were wrapping and preparing it was our "Magic"
    I can only hope those kids feel it as well.
    The very best of the Holidays to all who share in love and giving.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Years ago, we had a neighbor, single dad, out of work- who had no Christmas tree. His little girl mentioned to the neighbors that she wished they had a tree. One of the neighbors went around and asked the rest of us if we'd like to help, and he anonymously left a tree and decorations on their doorstep. That was a good feeling. :)

Top Bottom