• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Str8himalaya

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Hello,

I am completely lost and new to anything considered a 1911. I am much more versed in guns such as glocks, rugars, springfield XD series, etc. I have a Kimber compact 1911, and I honestly dont know much about it and would just like to get a little info on it. Here is a picture of it:

picture.php

Str8himalaya

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Well, honestly I don't know much about the 1911 platform in general. What are the advantages of them over a glock type pistol, any idea on how the recoil and control of them are compared to a glock? I can break it down and get the slide off, but for the life of me I cant figure out how to get the recoil spring and barrel out...I feel very very ridiculous even owning this, but its a nice gun from what I have heard...

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    1st off congrats on a awesome gun :rockwoot:

Here is a link to the manual for your gun. My advice is to read it and follow it on breaking it in and getting to know it.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/uploads/manual-download/Compact.pdf

The recoil spring should lift out towards the rear of the slide and the barrel then will slide out towards the front.

If you are any where near Fort Wayne, I would gladly meet up with you and show you what I can about your gun.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have a Kimber Compact too, and you need a special tool to remove the recoil spring assembly. That special tool is......... A bent paper clip! There should be a small hole on the 3 o'clock position on the guide rod. Lock the slide back, remove the mag, insert paper clip into that hole and then pull the slide back and slowly allow it to come to a rest on the paper clip. At that point the side should be loose on the frame and you can remove your slide lock and take the slide off. Then remove the recoil spring assy (without removing the paper clip) out the back. Then slide the barrel forward and out the front. Reassembly is the reverse order. I belive you can contact Kimber and get an owners manual for free.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Btw I love my Kimber! Im sure you will love yours too. Oh and its best not to start a 1911 vs Glock debate here on INGO as they tend to derail threads and can get heated.

Both are great guns and have thier + and - just totally different.

Str8himalaya

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Ok, got it pulled apart, at least the basics, and figured out the barrel and recoil spring assembly. Definitely a little tougher than a glock (no bad intentions with that statement). My next question is, how is the recoil and shot on these? I heard the triggers are amazing, how does the recoil react, lets just say by comparison sake, a glock 23? I know, bad debate, but thats what I have shot and have to compare to. Thanl you so much for everyone's help and not bashing me for having a gun I honestly dont deserve right now.

Str8himalaya

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    How does it shoot? I've heard they are very smooth when it comes to trigger pull and staying on target. Does it have nasty recoil or is it pretty mild? Is there any way to tell when it was made?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Ok, got it pulled apart, at least the basics, and figured out the barrel and recoil spring assembly. Definitely a little tougher than a glock (no bad intentions with that statement). My next question is, how is the recoil and shot on these? I heard the triggers are amazing, how does the recoil react, lets just say by comparison sake, a glock 23? I know, bad debate, but thats what I have shot and have to compare to. Thanl you so much for everyone's help and not bashing me for having a gun I honestly dont deserve right now.

What makes you think you dont deserve it? Its a great gun and you have it, so you must have done somthing to deserve it!

Recoil is very managable. The recoil spring setup helps with that. Its definately more than a .40 but with practice you can be very quick with follow up shots. Accuracy on mine is outstanding for a 4" gun and the trigger is a big factor in that. It will almost scare you when it breaks and goes bang! I can hit my 75 yard gong with regularity with mine on a good day. About 3-4 out of the 7 in the mag.

BTW. I just said it was wise not to start a debate. You dont need to tiptoe around so much. If someone gets offened by your staments its thier problem. Atleast thats how I feel about it.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    How does it shoot? I've heard they are very smooth when it comes to trigger pull and staying on target. Does it have nasty recoil or is it pretty mild? Is there any way to tell when it was made?

Not sure about how to tell when it was made but it is in the serial number. If you contact Kimber they may be able to tell you.

Kimber, Unfortunately, Is not known for fantastic customer service so they may treat you like an annoyance.

All I can tell you is that your gun appears to be a GEN-1 Kimber which are more desirable bc they have series 70 type safties and are suposed to be made better, the GEN-2 has an 80 series saftey (or did I get that backwards again?) and some say the quality isnt they same, but I disagree. Mine is a GEN-2 and its a great gun.

BTW When I say "saftey" I mean the firing pin block not the saftey on the side of the frame.

Last edited:

eurobeaner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    NICE GUN!

ill tell you my 100% noob experience with a nice colt 1911 a friend let me shoot. i shot my sp101 in 38+P, then 5 of the 357's, then a clip of 1911 .45's... the 38+p felt like a cap gun, the 357 pushed into my hand pretty decent, but didnt really feel like it was trying to flip out of my hand backwards. THEN I shot the 1911... its recoil was VERY soft compared to the 357, but more of a twisting backwards motion than a palm stinging feeling like the 357. but overall, an amazing trigger feel, weird "soft yet strong" recoil, and great accuracy..... i want one now

again, this is from a LESS THAN 20 SHOTS FIRED ALL MY LIFE noob. saturday im going to hopefully go waste 200 rounds of 38 special on my revolver, and another 50 on a .45

Str8himalaya

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    I'm really looking forward to shooting it. I am a little concerned with the sights, they are all the same color without any dots at all. That maybe my first upgrade. Any other ideas on what to upgrade on this build of firearm?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm really looking forward to shooting it. I am a little concerned with the sights, they are all the same color without any dots at all. That maybe my first upgrade. Any other ideas on what to upgrade on this build of firearm?

For now, the only thing I would do is get a nice gun belt and holster for it, along with as much ammo as you can purchase. What range do you use to shoot?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The only real upgrade I did on my Kimber Compact was a nicer set of grips and night sights. The grips are just a matter of preference, but the sight upgrade sure made a difference. You'll really like that gun. The compacts give up very little to the full size and carry very well. That was a nice choice for a first 1911. I'll echo Que's advice about getting a good holster and belt, then practice with it as much as you can afford to.

Str8himalaya

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    By looking at the picture, can anyone give me an idea of how much it might be worth. I gave up getting a glock because of this gun, simply because there was an error with an order I put in for an EXO glock and instead of getting my money back and the deal falling through, I made a deal on this gun for a lot less than it was listed at. Anybody have any idea about what it would be worth?

Str8himalaya

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    For now, the only thing I would do is get a nice gun belt and holster for it, along with as much ammo as you can purchase. What range do you use to shoot?

I shoot at the indoor range in Muncie, IN. Muncie pistol and rifle association. It's a 50 ft range for pistols and .22 rifles. I have 200 rounds sitting at home waiting to shoot off, hopefully that will give me a good idea of how it feels compared to what I'm used to?

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    Take your glock and your kimber to the range and find out for yourself. That's really all the knowledge I have to give! Oh..take a couple boxes of ammo, too!

Top Bottom