• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Oh yeah, the copper and wood on that rifle is "pretty" for sure... like an art piece of some kind of modern furniture or something. Just a bit much on a gun for my taste.

I was actually thinking something more subtle. I found a photo online of something along the lines of what I was thinking. A few touches here and there of "Burnt Bronze" with the Boyd's butt stock added in with Photoshop.

View attachment 47189

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I was actually thinking something more subtle. I found a photo online of something along the lines of what I was thinking. A few touches here and there of "Burnt Bronze" with the Boyd's butt stock added in with Photoshop.

View attachment 47189
    I'm liking the Boyd stocks. The prices are pretty darn reasonable too.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Okay, here's another question. Does anyone make a stripped upper assembly with barrel and gas block installed, no front sight? I've found several stripped barreled upper assemblies, but they all have the front sight installed. I basically want everything but the front sight and hand guard. I also don't want to break the bank. I've emailed Zeroed In Armory, where I got my last complete upper to see if they make anything like that. Since I'm going to want to use the wooden furniture it seems silly to buy a complete upper only to discard the hand guard and front sight.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Okay, here's another question. Does anyone make a stripped upper assembly with barrel and gas block installed, no front sight? I've found several stripped barreled upper assemblies, but they all have the front sight installed. I basically want everything but the front sight and hand guard. I also don't want to break the bank. I've emailed Zeroed In Armory, where I got my last complete upper to see if they make anything like that. Since I'm going to want to use the wooden furniture it seems silly to buy a complete upper only to discard the hand guard and front sight.

Is there a reason why you don't just want to build it yourself? Do you have an idea of what kind of barrel you want, how much you want to pay, etc?

Here is an example of one from DPMS that doesn't have a front sight, but fwiw I think you could get a better deal building it yourself.
    AR-15, 20" UPPER, 5.56 Nato, M16, AR15 : AR15 Parts at GunBroker.com

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Is there a reason why you don't just want to build it yourself? Do you have an idea of what kind of barrel you want, how much you want to pay, etc?

Here is an example of one from DPMS that doesn't have a front sight, but fwiw I think you could get a better deal building it yourself.
    AR-15, 20" UPPER, 5.56 Nato, M16, AR15 : AR15 Parts at GunBroker.com
    I guess I don't have the confidence to completely build it myself. I just don't know what's involved. That's why I want most everything installed. Probably want a 16 or 18" barrel, 1/7 twist. Maybe a light profile barrel but not ruling out a medium weight. I know I'd need the barrel nut, delta ring... gas block and tube, flash hider... what else? And how difficult is gas block installation? In other words how easy is it for me to screw up? :):

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I guess I don't have the confidence to completely build it myself. I just don't know what's involved. That's why I want most everything installed. Probably want a 16 or 18" barrel, 1/7 twist. Maybe a light profile barrel but not ruling out a medium weight. I know I'd need the barrel nut, delta ring... gas block and tube, flash hider... what else? And how difficult is gas block installation? In other words how easy is it for me to screw up? :):

If you can turn a wrench, you can install the barrel.

Seriously.

I'm not joking.

The gas block slips over the end of the barrel, you line it up with the gas hole, and install a set screw in the bottom. If you buy a barrel that already has a dimple for the set screw, I'm not sure you could screw it up.

I would be happy to help. I don't doubt there are a great many others on Ingo that would also be happy to help.

The parts you listed are pretty much all that is needed for the barrel installation. The one variable being the Boyd's handguards, I haven't really looked at how they install since I was only planning to use the buttstock.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you can turn a wrench, you can install the barrel.

Seriously.

I'm not joking.

The gas block slips over the end of the barrel, you line it up with the gas hole, and install a set screw in the bottom. If you buy a barrel that already has a dimple for the set screw, I'm not sure you could screw it up.

Sweet... That sounds like I may be able to do that. I'm sure there are youtubes galore out there, so I'll start looking and see what's up. Is the low profile gas block preferred? Or not necessary? Also, if I'm going to be installing the tube, would it be carbine length or rifle length? Say in the 16 or 18 inch barrel...

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Sweet... That sounds like I may be able to do that. I'm sure there are youtubes galore out there, so I'll start looking and see what's up. Is the low profile gas block preferred? Or not necessary? Also, if I'm going to be installing the tube, would it be carbine length or rifle length? Say in the 16 or 18 inch barrel...

The low profile gas block is used when you want to install free float handguards that extend past the gas block, so that isn't necessary for installing the Boyd's handguards. I looked at what it says about installing those and it said you need the handguard cap and the delta ring. You could probably still use a low profile gas block if you wanted to, but it would make more sense to use one with a rail on top so that you would have the option of adding a front sight later.

The gas tube length is determined by which gas system you use. You are asking for problems if you don't match the buffer and gas system to each other. Are you planning on using the carbine handguards, or the rifle handguards from Boyd's? That will determine which gas system you use, and that will determine which buffer system and barrel you use. The Boyd's buttstock is made for the rifle buffer tube, so you could use either buffer system. If you aren't sure which way you want to go, then I would recommend using the rifle gas system since it is an option with the buttstock. People normally only use a carbine system when they want a collapsible buttstock.

If you use the rifle gas system then you are probably looking at an 18" barrel, I don't think you could find a 16" barrel with a rifle system. You will need to make sure that the particular barrel you are buying is meant for a rifle gas system, they usually tell you which it is made for. The difference between them is simply the profile, specifically the distance from the breech where the little flare is for mounting the gas block. These photos are from Green Mountain, but all manufacturers would be fairly similar. Notice the difference in the distance to that flared part, 12.119" vs. 6.740", that is the difference between a carbine barrel and a rifle barrel. There is also a mid-length gas system, which is just something in between these two, but it would not work with either of the Boyd's handguards.

Rifle barrel:
    View attachment 47211

Carbine barrel"
    View attachment 47213

Edit: Ignore the attached thumbnail, I don't know why it is showing up in this post, and it won't let me delete it. It's another example of a rifle barrel, just heavier and fluted.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, I'm still leaning towards the Lucid stock set, not the Boyd's. It says it's a carbine length handguard, so I guess that decision is made for me. Looks like I'll want a 16" barrel. It doesn't have an option for a top rail (other than what's on the receiver itself), so I'm thinking I'll go with a lower magnification scope rather than a red dot. So with that being said, I would want a carbine length gas tube and probably the standard gas block, yes? I will be using the rifle buffer tube (A2 style) since it's a fixed butt stock.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...16-wood-carbine-furniture-sets-prod72337.aspx

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    That all appears to be correct then. The gas blocks come in different internal diameters, so make sure that is matched to your barrel as well.

FWIW, Lucid does have rifle length handguards available directly from them on their website.
    Forest Camo - WoodForAR.com

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That all appears to be correct then. The gas blocks come in different internal diameters, so make sure that is matched to your barrel as well.

FWIW, Lucid does have rifle length handguards available directly from them on their website.
    Forest Camo - WoodForAR.com

Awesome, thanks for that link! A rifle length is really my preference, so I've bookmarked that and will probably go that route. I've got a 16" rifle and a 20", so that's why I was kind of leaning toward an 18".

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    FWIW to anybody else that is considering a wood set, I contacted Lucid to see if they sell their buttstocks separately. They said that they do not, but they are working on a free-float system. The guy that contacted me has the last name Boyd, and the company is located in the same city in SD as Boyd's is so maybe they know each other? :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    FWIW to anybody else that is considering a wood set, I contacted Lucid to see if they sell their buttstocks separately. They said that they do not, but they are working on a free-float system. The guy that contacted me has the last name Boyd, and the company is located in the same city in SD as Boyd's is so maybe they know each other? :):

Ha! What a coinky dink, huh? And oooh, I like the idea of a free float system in wood. I wonder how long it will be before that's available. I want it NOW! :):

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Ha! What a coinky dink, huh? And oooh, I like the idea of a free float system in wood. I wonder how long it will be before that's available. I want it NOW! :):

Lucid got back to me on that, they said the free-float system is about a month away. They also said it will work with their current handguards, so I assume it will be some sort of barrel nut and tube system that the wood handguards mount to.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I went ahead and ordered the rifle length Lucid stock from Brownell's. I forgot that I get a discount with them with my C&R license so saved a few bucks there. :) And now I'm thinking of going more retro with the standard A2 front sight and carry handle instead of an optic. I can always add an optic later if I want but I do kind of like that old style look, especially with the wood stock.

Top Bottom