• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    T-Dogg is a bad influence. Just getting that out there right now :)

I’ve always liked the collapsible stocks on my ARs but recently the aforementioned TD made me think that an A2 would be interesting to try. I had picked up one of Sigs 516 uppers a while back but it still didn’t have a permanent home so I decided that an A2 equipped lower build was in order.

a85b356a1fc3ecb7af6ae4f5039c4655.jpg

This is the result. The rifle feels completely different to me now as it did when sitting on a lower that had a collapsible stock. It feels like a nice, handy rifle now. Simple even.

With the snow, I have not had it to the range but that should change shortly. I’m now toying with making that same change to a couple other ARs as well.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I have lots of range time with A2 equipped rifles. You'll find since there is no "wobble" like with the collapsible variety, it will produce smaller groups. When shooting prone, get your nose up on that charging handle and hold hard. You will enjoy the results!

Last edited:

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Great looking rifle. The rifle length buffer system is a big plus too.

A2 stocks are too long for me though. I build one with an A1 and really like it.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    In another thread the "gray" color of the A2 stocks was mentioned. FWIW, in my limited experience, that's the normal color. Both my Colt from '95 and my Bushmaster from the late '90s are like that. It looks right to me.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    In another thread the "gray" color of the A2 stocks was mentioned. FWIW, in my limited experience, that's the normal color. Both my Colt from '95 and my Bushmaster from the late '90s are like that. It looks right to me.
    I haven't had my SP1 out of the safe in a while but remember the stock as more black than gray

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I have lots of range time with A2 equipped rifles. You'll find since there is no "wobble" like with the collapsible variety, it will produce smaller groups. When shooting prone, get your nose up on that charging handle and hold hard. You will enjoy the results!
    John is a real Dude. Be like John.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I've always liked the A2 look. Is the primary function of a collapsible stock to be adjustable for wearing armor? Why did manufacturers go away from the A2?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I've always liked the A2 look. Is the primary function of a collapsible stock to be adjustable for wearing armor? Why did manufacturers go away from the A2?
    Yes. But some people just aren’t as gangly as others.

They went away from it because money.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

I need to get to the range with this rifle

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Are you seeing much of a difference in quality between those two stocks?
    The Rock River is made better. I don't think the UTG is necessarily junk, but it's definitely a $40-$50 stock kit. I personally won't put one on anything but a 22 rifle. Personal preference.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    2 of my 3 ARs have fixed stocks, one an A2 and one an A1 length GWACS lower. The A2 is definitely best suited to a more bladed shooting stance, and while I have shot it with armor the length is not ideal. However, it's quite nice for shooting in a regular shirt and burying your nose against the charging handle to utilize a set of A2 sights. As long as you have a good fit between receiver halves, you can really pull that gun into you with no movement or wobble.

A stock is a stock at the end of the day, but a lot of people dismiss the A1/A2 as useless because it's old and bulky and doesn't adjust. Same for the 20" barrel and iron sights (different conversation). IMO most of the people who say that really haven't run stages or done any real shooting with one. You can do good work with one and it's not the handicap some think it is.

Plus you can swing an A2 stock into somebody's face and it'll probably hold together, which is more than I can say of some collapsibles.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    On my last two, I had a Magpul MOE fixed stock and a Leapers Fixed stock. Other than my first build when I realized that I had the stock fully extended(I prefer somewhere around a 14" LOP), I have always run fixed stocks.

I'm not an operator, I won't be doing CQB stuff, so it seemed pointless to me.

However, if I ever decided to get back to owning an AR, I will probably go with an adjustable stock since the only reason I would get another one is for SD purposes. :)

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I use A2 on 30 caliber or bigger AR10. Never thought about it for an AR15. Might give it a try on the Grendel. I wonder if they make Walnut A2 stocks.

Top Bottom