• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Just a quick review of the class for anyone interested.

We started off the class fairly promptly at 9AM with class room time.

The class room time was related to Defensive Pistol (duh) type things, like where to shoot, what to shoot, carry gear, ammo selection, etc.

After class room, we had a gourmet hot dog lunch complete with well cooked dogs, chips, cookies and water to drink. Next came actual range time.

Due to the size of the bay we were using we had 3 relays. 2 were 5 people, and the 3rd relay was 3 people.

We started from the basics with the draw stroke. How to get out of the holster by 'shooting back into the holster' and the 4 steps of a proper draw. We also worked on one handed shooting breifly, standard 'tap/rack/bang' or 'wack/rack/back' malfunction drill, and shooting vs. moving. Mag changes were when ever we had to do so.

At the end of the day we wrapped it up with an all time favorite, the Henk Drill. Everyone pretty much got to do it as much as they wanted.

Overall it was a GREAT class with GREAT instruction! I've taken the DR101/201 classes, and this has a great tie in with this in terms of weapons manipulation goes. Everything pretty much carries over from each type.

I've said it before and Ill say it again, anyone looking for awesome instruction for a reasonable price, and LOCAL, you can't beat the ACT crew!

see you guys at DP201 in Nov!

Last edited:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I had a great time, and enjoyed meeting some of you guys.
    For me (still trying to make sure I am responsible enough to carry), the classroom instruction was a big help and I learned alot. Having taken NRA basic beginner's pistol course, ACT's instruction material was about 80% new in comparison, and dealt more with defensive/carry rather than function/manipulation of a firearm in general. :yesway:

About half DP101's range drills were similar to what I had done before through private training with Coach (But practice makes perfect). The latter half of the class involved movement, and then movement while manipulating the firearm, and this was all new to me. With practice, I look forward to DP201. :rockwoot:

I enjoyed learning from my own performance on each drill, but also learned alot from watching others as well. And we had ALOT of good marksmen and markswomen in our group! I would not want to cross Star's path with a .357 revolver in her hands that is for sure! She was shooting a new revolver, and learned how to use speedloaders on the fly. Amazing. :draw:

I had my fair share of mistakes, and it was a little crowded/tight on some of the drills, but luckily no safety issues and hopefully I didn't look like a nincompoop out there.

Really the only downside was, I wish there was more dancing by Rhino. Everytime he started, John would quickly put a stop to it. :dunno: I felt cheated.:D

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks guys. I could not make it this time, but am interested the next time they come to MCF&G for this course. I previously took IP101 and was very pleased with that one, and this one looks to be very interesting as well.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Really the only downside was, I wish there was more dancing by Rhino. Everytime he started, John would quickly put a stop to it. :dunno: I felt cheated.:D

Sounds like I need to put together a routine for the lunch break entertainment!

Thank you to all of you for the kind words and feedback. Everyone was safe and I hope had the oppotunity to either learn some new things or at least a different perspective on something they already new.

I'm looking forward to see you all soon!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    At the end of the day we wrapped it up with an all time favorite, the Henk Drill. Everyone pretty much got to do it as much as they wanted

Except for me. :( I had to cajole Joe and John to let me run it three times. :): But more seriously, having an ending drill that encapsulates the entire class is an EXCELLENT way to help the alumni remember what was taught. I hope the DP 201 has a similarly crafted drill/drills.

Overall it was a GREAT class with GREAT instruction!

I have to strongly second this. While not all the information was new after the IP 101 class, the training, practice, personal interaction with "like-minded" people, and coaching contained in this class was very valuable. This class is definitely one that someone seeking to break into the world of carrying should take.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Thanks for the kind words, y'all. We certainly had a great time training with you and learned some ourselves. I want to thank Joe S, Granger and Jackson for their help.

AND THERE WILL BE NO DANCE PERFORMED BY PACHYDERMS. Not on my watch. no sir. not going to happen.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thanks for the kind words, y'all. We certainly had a great time training with you and learned some ourselves. I want to thank Joe S, Granger and Jackson for their help.

AND THERE WILL BE NO DANCE PERFORMED BY PACHYDERMS. Not on my watch. no sir. not going to happen.

I don't know if I should apologize for prompting him to that dance or not...

In other news, our dads (speaking to the Virays) knew each other back in the day. My dad was a JASM with a BSA troop that evidently your dad helped out with.

Small world...but not all that surprising I suppose. It is Crawfordsville, after all!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't know if I should apologize for prompting him to that dance or not...

In other news, our dads (speaking to the Virays) knew each other back in the day. My dad was a JASM with a BSA troop that evidently your dad helped out with.

Small world...but not all that surprising I suppose. It is Crawfordsville, after all!

That would be Troop 326! obijohn was a member for years and our father was one of the assistants for more years than that. I was not allowed to join!

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    While not all the information was new after the IP 101 class, the training, practice, personal interaction with "like-minded" people, and coaching contained in this class was very valuable. This class is definitely one that someone seeking to break into the world of carrying should take.

You'll find that, the more training you take, the less new stuff you'll hear. But you will also find that you will hear it in different ways, from a different perspective, or with a different emphasis and you may come away with a different understanding.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co

Thanks for letting me come and hang out. I enjoyed it.

Thank you for coming and hanging out!! Its always nice to have another set of eyes on the class to see what we are doing right/wrong!!

Last edited:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I wish Id have put a bit more time and effort in to putting faces to Usernames. Im not very good at keeping track of that kind of thing and now I'm not sure who most people were.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I wish Id have put a bit more time and effort in to putting faces to Usernames. Im not very good at keeping track of that kind of thing and now I'm not sure who most people were.

Ditto. I think about everyone raised their hand when they asked about ingo members... but I only found out who clay and indyguy was (and of course rhino and obijohn)

FWiW I was the really skinny dork trying to get extra credit by peddling my cough drops.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    You'll find that, the more training you take, the less new stuff you'll hear. But you will also find that you will hear it in different ways, from a different perspective, or with a different emphasis and you may come away with a different understanding.

+1. Was re-watching one of my Clint Smith DVD sets over the last few days and noticed the same thing.

Top Bottom