• OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    So, I just wanted to start one of these :D

I'm tired, and ready to grab food so I'll share my thoughts later. But So Far I'll tell you they put on an excellent class while keeping everyone safe and covering a lot of info.

So far, we've covered basic malfunction clearing (Type 1, FTF), zeroing, holdover, stance, shooting position, gear, and a lot of stuff I'm sure I missed.

And after a few hours to relax.....

ACT puts on great classes if you've never been to one you need to do yourself a favor and sign up. They do an excellent job at showing you a good way to do certain things and adapting to what works best for you as an individual. I've had a lot of fun today while learning and working on good drills to help with various skills while working with a carbine.

This class started with Classroom instruction. We talked about the safety rules of firearms and something about a knife fight involving Rhino and his mother :stickpoke:. We covered topics about using a Carbine as a home defense weapon and how a carbine works (different parts). A lot of the classroom session was also spent talking about different gear and what works for most situations and preference of other accessories to increase the efficiency of the weapon system for each individual. Gear is one of those topics that's hard to research because everyone is different and different things work for different people. With an AR there are so many different things to put on it, its hard to tell what works best for you. Its good to hear about different options and how things work for different people and why. Best thing to do for gear is to just try it by borrowing or shooting/using someone else's gear if you don't want to buy it before you try it. You could spend weeks on the different things you can put on it.

We started off the range portion of the class by working on a 25 yard zero. After obtaining our zero, we worked on some UP drills that are common among ACT classes (Pistol, carbine, etc). Next we moved on to the subject of holdovers which is easily shown and demonstrated by aiming at the target from extremely close distances (about 3 yds) and seeing how low we were actually shooting because of the height difference from the muzzle to the optic/iron sights. We also demonstrated this by trying different distances so each shooter to guage the different holdover at different distances for their rifle, gear, and shooting style. Ever rifle/shooter combination is a little different so it's best to hit the range and see for yourself.

Once each shooter got a handle on their rifle and various holdover we did more UP drills from various distances while adding in reloads. Reloading on the move can be a lot to think about while manipulating the rifle and trying to remember everything else you're supposed to do but for the most part everything went well. Next on the list was multiple targets all while incorporating all previous skills learned (reloads, movement, etc).

To finish up the day we did malfunction drills, mainly failure to fire clearing. Adding this to all the previous skills of the day make for some fun drills at the end of the day. Overall its been a fun day and I can't wait to see what DR 201 brings tomorrow. If you've been on the fence about a class like this from ACT I would highly recommend it.

Last edited:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Sounds interesting. Does this class focus primarily on the AR platform or could other weapons be used as well? I don't own an AR (yet) but I do have a decent .22 carbine. I'm sure many of the same concepts and skills would apply.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks for the AAR. I took this class a year ago, and learned a lot.

ACT, IMO, is very top notch. Those guys run a great program.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Sounds interesting. Does this class focus primarily on the AR platform or could other weapons be used as well? I don't own an AR (yet) but I do have a decent .22 carbine. I'm sure many of the same concepts and skills would apply.

You'd have to ask the instructors but we had a guy in class today that had an AK

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    You need to tell them to get a representative on INGO! :yesway:

Mind if I ask how much it costs and where it is?

Rhino, obijohn, and Coach are all active on here. A great class, and I'm looking forward to tomorrow. Mags are jammed and I'm ready for some shut eye. :)

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

We can't even convince rhino to stop coming back! :D

Guess I should have asked if someone was already here instead of assuming otherwise. :rolleyes:

I checked out those links Chuck. Looks like its center-fire only. Borrowing a weapon for a class like this doesn't make much sense to me. I can't see getting training for a weapon I don't own. Although I can also see how a .22 carbine wouldn't be considered the best weapon for defensive training. I'll have to put this on my "someday" list for now.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Guess I should have asked if someone was already here instead of assuming otherwise. :rolleyes:

I checked out those links Chuck. Looks like its center-fire only. Borrowing a weapon for a class like this doesn't make much sense to me. I can't see getting training for a weapon I don't own. Although I can also see how a .22 carbine wouldn't be considered the best weapon for defensive training. I'll have to put this on my "someday" list for now.

I have been in the market for an AR for awhile now. I am left handed and borrowed a Right handed AR from my buddy. I LEARNED A LOT today.

My main thought was using the standard AR and building it with a lot of ambi stuff. I was pretty much convinced that this is not the way to go for me. With that being said, I'm glad I borrowed one and shot it before buying one. I now have a decent idea of what I need to do with my set up. I have shot AR platforms a handful of times, but never in defensive situations. I had a lot of difficulty manipulating the gun backwards (for me anyway, but not the rest of the class :D). I have pretty much been convinced to just go ahead with a Left handed model. Maybe I'll do better next time. Again, I'm very thankful I borrowed one before I spent :spend:.

The ACT guys were once again awesome and patient with my awkwardness with the platform. Thanks Rhino and Obijohn. Great class once again.:yesway:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I have been in the market for an AR for awhile now. I am left handed and borrowed a Right handed AR from my buddy. I LEARNED A LOT today.

My main thought was using the standard AR and building it with a lot of ambi stuff. I was pretty much convinced that this is not the way to go for me. With that being said, I'm glad I borrowed one and shot it before buying one. I now have a decent idea of what I need to do with my set up. I have shot AR platforms a handful of times, but never in defensive situations. I had a lot of difficulty manipulating the gun backwards (for me anyway, but not the rest of the class :D). I have pretty much been convinced to just go ahead with a Left handed model. Maybe I'll do better next time. Again, I'm very thankful I borrowed one before I spent :spend:.

The ACT guys were once again awesome and patient with my awkwardness with the platform. Thanks Rhino and Obijohn. Great class once again.:yesway:

I didn't mean to imply that the class wouldn't still be very valuable. I'm sure I'd still learn a lot even with a borrowed weapon. I just feel it would be even more valuable with a weapon I own and could continue practicing what I learned on even if I did make some minor changes to it after taking a class.

Incidentally, I'm also left handed. However I guess I'm a little different because the only things I do exclusively with my left hand is write and use a fork or spoon. Nearly everything else including shooting I do right handed. Some things I am able to do with either hand. I make my living with hand tools and most of them are just as comfortable in either hand. I've actually tried shooting left handed and I suck at it. Although I suspect it would be easier for me to learn to shoot left handed than a "normal" right handed person. I probably should try to learn someday.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Borrowing a weapon for a class like this doesn't make much sense to me. I can't see getting training for a weapon I don't own... I'll have to put this on my "someday" list for now.

I'm very happy I used a borrowed gun for this class a couple years ago. It gave me a fair idea of what works and doesn't. More importantly, it prompted me to move away from the 10/22 platform for .22lr. as the controls differ from the AR platform causing confusion.

I'll be there tomorrow with my own newly built gun.:)

Chuck, check fb for breakfast time..

breakfast? dont leave me out of that one! Im always up for breakfast!

We're in the same hotel, so its the Continental breakfast... pry nothing you wouldn't mind missing out on.

MMM breakfast???
    MMM
    MM
    M...
    Don't forget we're gaining an hour overnight.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I'm very happy I used a borrowed gun for this class a couple years ago. It gave me a fair idea of what works and doesn't. More importantly, it prompted me to move away from the 10/22 platform for .22lr. as the controls differ from the AR platform causing confusion.

I'll be there tomorrow with my own newly built gun.:)

As I said, I know the class would still have value. At the very least, I'd want to make sure I was in a position to buy right after the class.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I didn't mean to imply that the class wouldn't still be very valuable. I'm sure I'd still learn a lot even with a borrowed weapon. I just feel it would be even more valuable with a weapon I own and could continue practicing what I learned on even if I did make some minor changes to it after taking a class.

Incidentally, I'm also left handed. However I guess I'm a little different because the only things I do exclusively with my left hand is write and use a fork or spoon. Nearly everything else including shooting I do right handed. Some things I am able to do with either hand. I make my living with hand tools and most of them are just as comfortable in either hand. I've actually tried shooting left handed and I suck at it. Although I suspect it would be easier for me to learn to shoot left handed than a "normal" right handed person. I probably should try to learn someday.

Different but same. I shoot everything left handed but I am right hand dominant. My brother is the left handed and shoots right handed.

Top Bottom