• OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Day 2

So, Rhino and Obijohn called in some favors and we had some pretty darn good weather all weekend. It wasn't cold and it wasn't hot, perfect for throwing some lead down range. DR 201 starts out on the range and this is where we spent the whole class.

The first thing we covered were transitions from the rifle to the pistol. I think I could've done 100 more repetitions and still reloaded my rifle when it went dry :facepalm: Transitions aren't too difficult when going slow, but there are things that can get in the way such as the magazines sticking out. We were shown a few examples to keep this from happening so we could get to our pistol easier without having more stuff in our way.

Next we moved on to different shooting positions. The first being dropping to a knee. We covered some considerations to make before you go to a knee. For example, depending on which side is your strong side and how you wear your pistol will help you decide which knee to go down on. Drawing a pistol from one knee can be easy if you chose correctly or a pain in the butt if you chose poorly.

While running through some drills dropping a knee and transitioning to the opposite side of cover or concealment they also covered switching shoulders. Shooting left handed with a rifle is actually a lot more difficult as I thought it would be, however while moving its much easier to shoot from the opposite shoulder than twisting your body around into some really bad positions.

After this we were introduced to shooting from the ground and a few other positions that were touched on lightly, some were only demonstrated for various reasons. Most of the day focused on movement though and if you've taken any other ACT course some of the later drills that sort of put it all together were the same and yet very different with a rifle.

This is definitely a class worth taking if you're on the fence. ACT does an excellent job at covering a lot of topics while having fun and keeping it a safe range. I would highly recommend them for any class they offer. This one was a lot of fun even without the tactical barrel rolls.

And a side note.... Apparently when Rhino says "everyone up on the firing line and unload your guns" he doesn't mean empty them by using the trigger :ar15:

Who knew :dunno:

Last edited:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    updated OP with a few thoughts.

I wish someone had a camera to grab some pics.... its hard to only explain in words.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I wish someone had a camera to grab some pics.... its hard to only explain in words.

I wish EVERY training outfit had the means to have a photographer present. So much can be learned by the student and by those reading the AARs when it can be viewed in retrospect.

Heck I would've volunteered to snap them if I wasn't working over the weekend. But I guess if that was the case I would've been a participant. :D

Thanks for the AARs guys.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I wish EVERY training outfit had the means to have a photographer present. So much can be learned by the student and by those reading the AARs when it can be viewed in retrospect.

Heck I would've volunteered to snap them if I wasn't working over the weekend. But I guess if that was the case I would've been a participant. :D

Thanks for the AARs guys.

I would like to offer my photographic capabilities in exchange class time. and no that is not supposed to be in purple. Instructors can PM me and I can send some of my Photo journalism work.

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    Once again the ACT guys put on a terrific class. Thank you Rhino, John and Granger!!!

One of the reasons I took these classes was to help me determine what equipment worked and what didn't...that plus learn how to effectively run my rifle. As Chuck mentioned it is easy going slow but things really get in the way when speeding up and moving. I think everyone learned something about their set-up that could be improved on. In my case one problem was my 2 point sling (Vickers Blue Force Gear) when transitioning from strong side to weak side. After learning how to transition to the weak side without strangling myself (thanks Granger) I found that the sling blocked my safety selector and the trigger. I learned to work around it but now I question whether the 2 point sling is my best choice.

The drills we ran were fun and looked easy but turned out to be fairly difficult. Shooting 3D targets turned at weird angles on Rhino's command isn't as easy as it looks......especially when you are moving and trying to get behind cover.

The last thing I would like to say is that not only did we have great instructors but we had a great group of guys in the class. Everyone was friendly, helpful and safe.

If you are considering taking some rifle classes give ACT a try...I don't think you will be disappointed.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I think everyone learned something about their set-up that could be improved on.

I'd be curious to hear about this from the other participants as well. Any other "lightbulb" moments?

In my case one problem was my 2 point sling (Vickers Blue Force Gear) when transitioning from strong side to weak side.

Just curious, how and where do you attach your sling to your rifle?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I'd be curious to hear about this from the other participants as well. Any "lightbult" moments?

Just curious, how and where do you attach your sling to your rifle?

I learned for carbine classes I NEED a Noveske 10.5" Diplomat
    http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bi...&cat=136&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=

I think that's the only way I can get my Monolithic Rail to be a tad ligher :D

I'm actually starting to get used to my current setup, it was a bit much the first time I used it. I do have a 2 point and a single point sling, I like the flexibility that some slings have to be able to be used as single points or 2 point slings.

CWood also sells an attachment that you can put on your sling that is an attachment point to turn your 2 point into a single point sling if you want to go that route.

I agree that a single point sling makes shoulder to shoulder transitions easier, but I think with some practice you could get the same comfort level with a 2-point :twocents:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    In my case the sling was attached to the rear of the receiver (Noveske end plate) and near the rear of my rail.

Were you running a CTR as your buttstock?

One trick I've seen that works well if you have a CTR or CTR like stock is attaching the sling to the outside of the stock. So if you're right handed the stock attaches to the QD Attachment point on the right side of the rifle (side with the ejection port).

This makes it easier while choking you less

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    In my case the sling was attached to the rear of the receiver (Noveske end plate) and near the rear of my rail.

You might try the method Chuck posted (stole my thunder ;)) or see how you like a single-point attached to the Noveske plate.

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    Yep, I was running a CTR. I am going to try what Chuck said and I think I may also play with a single point. I really think the single point may be the answer for how I intend to use my rifle.

Thanks for the advice.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Another great class! As I told John, Joe, and Grainger after the class, there are very good reasons why I keep taking their classes. I always learn a ton and have fun. DR201 pushed me in new directions which I hoped for and expected. Chuck did a pretty good job describing what we did in the class so I don't need to say much about that. I learned about my strengths(yes there are a few) and my weaknesses(which were plentiful!).

For the most part, I'm happy with my gear choices. My rifle ran exceptionally well on both days, even though I looked like a Magpul fanboy. :D I ran a Vikings Tactical 2-point sling both days and I'm happy with the choice. As Chuck mentioned, I tried running the QD mount on the right side of my CTR stock. It makes sense why it works. I didn't have any difficulty in putting in enough slack for my transfers.

On Saturday I just used my Raven gear and it went off with out a hitch. I decided on Sunday to try my new warbelt setup. You can only practice so much before putting it in use. Grabbing mags was difficult at times, but with more practice I'm sure it will work. We had quite a bit of fun(at my expense of course) with my Safariland 6365 ALS. Going from a Raven(that I'm use to) to a Level III retention holster is fun under stress! :D I know with more drawstrokes(and that darn thing called practice) it will work out the way I have want.

Thank you again to the instructors AND the participants for a fun, safe weekend!

Doug

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    updated OP with a few thoughts.

We've had people on the scene specifically for taking photos or video in the past, but we didn't have anyone available this time. We were too busy to do any of it ourselve this time!

I would like to offer my photographic capabilities in exchange class time. and no that is not supposed to be in purple. Instructors can PM me and I can send some of my Photo journalism work.

Send email to John@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com if you'd like to discuss that.

Just make sure you're not trying to do both in the same class. Your pictures will suck and you won't learn as much. :D

Indeed. If we pay or barter with someone to take photos or video, they're not going to have time to participate in the class they are documenting.

Once again the ACT guys put on a terrific class. Thank you Rhino, John and Granger!!!

One of the reasons I took these classes was to help me determine what equipment worked and what didn't...that plus learn how to effectively run my rifle. As Chuck mentioned it is easy going slow but things really get in the way when speeding up and moving. I think everyone learned something about their set-up that could be improved on. In my case one problem was my 2 point sling (Vickers Blue Force Gear) when transitioning from strong side to weak side. After learning how to transition to the weak side without strangling myself (thanks Granger) I found that the sling blocked my safety selector and the trigger. I learned to work around it but now I question whether the 2 point sling is my best choice.

The drills we ran were fun and looked easy but turned out to be fairly difficult. Shooting 3D targets turned at weird angles on Rhino's command isn't as easy as it looks......especially when you are moving and trying to get behind cover.

The last thing I would like to say is that not only did we have great instructors but we had a great group of guys in the class. Everyone was friendly, helpful and safe.

If you are considering taking some rifle classes give ACT a try...I don't think you will be disappointed.

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback ... as always, it was honor to have you in the class.

I think you can make that sling work for you, but the suggestion that Chuck made might help. Also, for switching shoulders, it may just work better to drop your support arm back through the sling so it's just looped around your neck. A couple of the other guys were doing that and it gave them plenty of freedom to switch shoulders and back.

I learned for carbine classes I NEED a Noveske 10.5" Diplomat
    http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bi...&cat=136&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=

I think that's the only way I can get my Monolithic Rail to be a tad ligher :D

You can buy it after you pay the deductible for your double hernia surgery.

Another great class! As I told John, Joe, and Grainger after the class, there are very good reasons why I keep taking their classes. I always learn a ton and have fun. DR201 pushed me in new directions which I hoped for and expected. Chuck did a pretty good job describing what we did in the class so I don't need to say much about that. I learned about my strengths(yes there are a few) and my weaknesses(which were plentiful!).

For the most part, I'm happy with my gear choices. My rifle ran exceptionally well on both days, even though I looked like a Magpul fanboy. :D I ran a Vikings Tactical 2-point sling both days and I'm happy with the choice. As Chuck mentioned, I tried running the QD mount on the right side of my CTR stock. It makes sense why it works. I didn't have any difficulty in putting in enough slack for my transfers.

On Saturday I just used my Raven gear and it went off with out a hitch. I decided on Sunday to try my new warbelt setup. You can only practice so much before putting it in use. Grabbing mags was difficult at times, but with more practice I'm sure it will work. We had quite a bit of fun(at my expense of course) with my Safariland 6365 ALS. Going from a Raven(that I'm use to) to a Level III retention holster is fun under stress! :D I know with more drawstrokes(and that darn thing called practice) it will work out the way I have want.

Thank you again to the instructors AND the participants for a fun, safe weekend!

Doug

Thank YOU! It's really cool to see the progress that you and the others have made since we've known you.

Re: mounting the two point on the outboard side of your stock ... if you noticed, that's where I have my quick detach swivel for when I convert from single point to two-point. It not only gives you a little more freedom to move the gun around, but it also helps it hang better in my opinion. I rarely use my sling that way, though.

Top Bottom