• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    First Thanks to Aron and Joe, great instructors.

I did not know what to expect coming into this class other than what I had heard from other members of the forum who have been to an ACT class. Coming from a background of military training only, and never doing any kind of competition shooting or civilian training, this was a great addition for me.

It was everything that they said it would be :)

The goal of Intermediate pistol is to show you skills that will enhance your basic understanding of shooting. Coach went over safety rules first and foremost before any weapons or rounds were touched.

The first thing we worked on was just the basic draw from the holster and hand positioning for a quicker draw. This was slow at first for most everyone in the class and we quickly got faster and faster. We would do a draw, shoot a few rounds, holster, draw, shoot and so on. With each session of this Coach would get us going a bit faster each time.

After we had done a few of these drills and the instructors felt we had grasped the concept and every one was safe, we moved on to action reloads in the middle. Here is where I lost some time from my training. Coach preached to keep the weapon in your face box, and this was not a problem for me. My problem came in the fact that ever reload I did there at the start I would roll my weapon over to observe the port. Normally I don't do a reload unless I'm empty and my habit is to put the mag in, roll the pistol, pull the slide and observe the chamber. This costs me an extra second for a hot reload.

Coach then went into a concept that he calls "calling the shot", until he explained it I didn't understand the concept. The philosophy is to focus only on your front site post and to watch it flip up. If you don't see that then you have not made a good shot.

The next area of focus he wanted us to train on is a concept that I've seen and was taught in the military. Snapping the eyes, look at the next target and bring the weapon to the target. This helps with better shot placement on the next target because your arms are not going past the target and you don't have to bring the weapon back once you have gone past it. If you follow his instructions, those second and third targets are hit rather quickly and accurately.

After several drills of putting a couple of the concepts together Coach set up a set of three targets in a near to far situation. We were to engage them in that order. With each training run he wanted the class to push to shoot faster, all the while he and Joe were watching accuracy as well.

The last thing that was set up was a set of 11 targets including 2 pepper poppers! Man this really worked everything that we trained during the day. The Draw Stroke, reload, eye snapping as well as calling the shot. Coach started the round showing us how it's done. First run was at 8.3 seconds, the second run, the last at the end of the day was 8.51, it's the video. Enjoy and I'll be training with ACT in the future.

100% professionals, knowledgeable, friendly and funny. Great class!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks for the excellent report! I'm glad you found so much positive in what Coach presented during the afternoon. It was a lot of information in a very short time!

Top Bottom