• ...and so much more!
  • OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    First of a big :+1: to Obijohn, for putting the class together and Profire for hosting us on 6/1!

I haven't had any medical training and all the CPR stuff I remember came from High School. So it's been a few years. This was a really great class with a TON of information. We started at the basics and worked up to more sexy stuff... like GSWs.

Obijohn did a good job of explaining the basics without it getting boring. He touched on things like the Good Samaritan laws in Indiana and your obligations, as well as some universal precautions when providing care to someone.

From there we covered things such as Assessing the scenario, patient condition, etc and moved in to some basics in CPR without getting really in-depth. After basic CPR topics, the class moved into some more specific areas such as heat, cold, and other environmental conditions talking about symptoms, treatment, and prevention.

After Environmental issues were covered we moved into other things like Heart attacks, Strokes, Siezures, how to identify them and what to do when each presents itself.

This is where we started getting into broken bones, cuts, GSWs and we dug into Obijohn & Rhino's kits to see how various splints, bandages, and other items could be used for various situation. After being able to try to apply some of these things to ourselves we dug further into the Instructors kits and discussed how and what different items could be used and why they might be a good idea to carry.

If I would've been thinking, I would've snapped some pics of all the gear Obijohn brought out. This was a really good foundation and there was a ton of information shared.

Thanks for putting the class together and thanks to the fellow students who were there to make this class happen :rockwoot:

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    ACT always puts on a great class and does so with class. It was a very informative class and gave a good foundation to moving into a more advanced class later on, which is going to be on the agenda for me. Anytime one has the opportunity to take training with ACT, it's time and money well spent.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    It was a great class and packed full of information. I was drafting up an AAR to post but OneBadV8 beat me to it and did a great job of summarizing the class. Lots of info packed in to a 1 day class but a great way to get a broad enough content delivered to set up follow up classes on more directed topics.

Big thanks to ObiJohn and Rhino for a great class and Andrew @ Profire for housing us for the day. Also, Thanks to the other folks in the class for sharing their insights and experiences.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Thanks, gentlemen. I hadn't done any med training for awhile and I had a great time! I think we'll do at least one more session of the same intro material, probably at Profire, sometime in the next 6 weeks or so. Then we'll discuss where to go from there. CPR/AED for sure, but after that some 4 hour blocks where we can pick a subject and dig a bit deeper. Also more hands on time and scenarios.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Thanks, gentlemen. I hadn't done any med training for awhile and I had a great time! I think we'll do at least one more session of the same intro material, probably at Profire, sometime in the next 6 weeks or so. Then we'll discuss where to go from there. CPR/AED for sure, but after that some 4 hour blocks where we can pick a subject and dig a bit deeper. Also more hands on time and scenarios.

:+1:

Looking forward to the more advanced stuff in the future!

CGC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    I also took this class. My perspective is that of someone whose employer requires a first aid refresher every three years (and I've been with the same employer for 35 years). That stated, a brief description of what this course is not. It is not wilderness or survival medicine. It is also not a CPR/AED certification class (although this is offered by ACT). It is an overview of what to do to keep someone alive (in some cases even yourself) for the 5-10 minutes it takes for EMS to arrive after an injury/illness happens.

I found this class to be a good refresher for someone whose first aid skills may be a little rusty. It should also serve as a good overview for someone who has never had first aid. The course covered topic from bee stings to heat exhaustion to gun shot wounds and most everything in between. Relative to previous first aid courses I have had in the past, this course did some things much better. First, Obijohn presented good information about what information to collect to aid EMS once initial aid has been provided to establish an open airway, stop bleeding, and establish circulation (if needed). Second, Obijohn, assisted by his brother Rhino, discussed and demonstrated treatment for gunshot wounds including use of Israeli Battle Dressings and the Combat Application Tourniquet. Both of these items can be applied to ones self if needed. One useful aspect of the course regarding use of these two items was do nots as well as do's. Finally, Obijohn provided a list of useful first aid items as well as the minimum requirements of a blow out kit every one should always keep close by. Obijohn demonstrated the use of many items on his list.

Overall, I found this class a good use of a Saturday and felt it was a good expenditure of my training funds. Thanks again to Obijohn and to Profire for hosting us.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    ok, V8, now figure out what you want to dig into in late august/early september. I think a good 4 hour block would be: Primary and Secondary surveys, immobilization (splinting), c-spine control and transportation. That's at least 4 hours. or really, hundreds of hours ;)

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I am in the never had first aid crowd. Couldn't make the last one, but it is definately on my watch list for the next!

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    ok, V8, now figure out what you want to dig into in late august/early september. I think a good 4 hour block would be: Primary and Secondary surveys, immobilization (splinting), c-spine control and transportation. That's at least 4 hours. or really, hundreds of hours ;)

I think we need more shooting :ar15:

:lmfao:

But seriously... I could see another block with more hands on with basic CPR, using the Israeli Bandage (with splints, as a tourniquet, etc), tourniquets, and splints. Maybe basic dressing of lacerations/gsws. And if there is time (probably not) talk about improvised splints, etc. :dunno:

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I think we need more shooting :ar15:

:lmfao:

But seriously... I could see another block with more hands on with basic CPR, using the Israeli Bandage (with splints, as a tourniquet, etc), tourniquets, and splints. Maybe basic dressing of lacerations/gsws. And if there is time (probably not) talk about improvised splints, etc. :dunno:

Done. session in August over these subjects. do we want enough CPR for certification or enough hands on to be able to perform CPR if the need arises?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Done. session in August over these subjects. do we want enough CPR for certification or enough hands on to be able to perform CPR if the need arises?

I'm not sure how long the Certification takes, so .... maybe if there's time :dunno:

Top Bottom