• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • unforgiven1203

Marksman
    Jun 8, 2008
    Dayton OH
    thanks to all the instructors and others who work to make this program so great! I had a great time in cloverdale today (as always)! congratulations to all of the new riflemen, hope to shoot with you again!

dom1104

Shooter
    Mar 23, 2010
    Ok that was just fantastic.

History. Responsibility. Marksmanship. Comaraderie.

Best. Weekend. Ever.

And we got to shoot a bunch of rounds! :ar15::ar15::ar15:

I am definatly coming again to the one in June, going to bring a different rifle.

I think I am going to do this with every rifle I have. Try to get a Rifleman Patch for each one. That.. .would be a good goal.

ALL I gotta say is, I with my wife shot as good as Sue, I wish I had as full a beard as Bill, Was as friendly yet subliminally frightening as Dave, and could procreate as amazingly often as... I cant believe I forgot his name.

My brain is dead. What a weekend.

What a fine bunch of shooters. I would be a Cook all my life just to hang out with those fine examples of Indianas skill with the rifle.

All I can say is... :yesway:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Ok that was just fantastic.

History. Responsibility. Marksmanship. Comaraderie.

Best. Weekend. Ever.

And we got to shoot a bunch of rounds! :ar15::ar15::ar15:

I am definatly coming again to the one in June, going to bring a different rifle.

I think I am going to do this with every rifle I have. Try to get a Rifleman Patch for each one. That.. .would be a good goal.

ALL I gotta say is, I with my wife shot as good as Sue, I wish I had as full a beard as Bill, Was as friendly yet subliminally frightening as Dave, and could procreate as amazingly often as... I cant believe I forgot his name.

My brain is dead. What a weekend.

What a fine bunch of shooters. I would be a Cook all my life just to hang out with those fine examples of Indianas skill with the rifle.

All I can say is... :yesway:

Edit: I think you're on crack. I've never found anything subliminal about Dave. :D (end edit)

That would be Don Of Many Children.

(Edit #2: I'd say something about Sue also, but I don't know her well enough to tease her yet. Well, not much, anyway. :) )

And my beard is short compared to what it used to look like. :):

We had eight non-Instructor Rifleman in the group photo at Cloverdale, though in fairness, two had achieved the score before and one shoots HighPower. We also had a chilly Saturday and the beginnings of a chilly Sunday as well, but it warmed up nicely enough. I added scores on a whole bunch of AQTs and for the first time (on each of three separate targets), I saw a perfect 50 on the seated stage, a perfect 100 on the slow-fire prone, and one target on which the shooter had a 227. We saw higher scores than that, but I should mention that that Rifleman had two flyers on the slow-fire prone. As each had the possibility of 10 more points, you can imagine what his other stages looked like. (48, 49, 50, 80, IIRC) Please note that I have mentioned no names; I will say only that I know at least four of those eight are INGO members.

Rifleman scores are great, and we LOVE playing a small part in people earning them... but so much more important is the fact that we had people who came out to learn how to use their rifles, but in the process, changed themselves from U.S. citizens into Americans. That is an amazing thing, and it is meaningful and humbling for me to be a part of that process. The heritage of our Founders passing to Americans, both child and adult, the obvious rapt attention to the story of the origin of our country- as an instructor, I find that fulfilling and awesome all at the same time.

Our shooters, Rifleman and not-yet-Rifleman alike, thanked us for being there this weekend. We do these weekends as a labor of love (and sometimes a love of labor!) but I think I can safely speak for Sue, Dave, and Don when I say that it is our honor and our pleasure to have been there with all of you.

Thank YOU, and as always,

Blessings,
    Bill

dom1104

Shooter
    Mar 23, 2010
    So if a shooter was 2 flyers away from a really good score, obviously what a Rifleman would do is persist.....

And come back and give it another whirl!

I gotta say I found myself wishing I had kids those Appleseed days. Because the ONLY thing that would have made that experiance better would be to share it with a son or daughter.

I cannot IMAGINE a better venue for a father and child to bond with each other, with TRUE history, and with a skill that breeds respect and freedom.

Do they make Chipmunk Rifles in 2 year old sizes?

Note: I did think of my son when Dave said to drink enough "Wawa".

I got to work today, and starting talking up the Appleseed program.

The responses were basically " Yeah well you were probably shooting some expensive rifle, like a sniper" "Well I could never do that" "Yeah, interesting, probably a bunch of army guys"

When I told them it was just regular guys shooting 10/22s, they were like "Huh I got one of those...." :rockwoot:

What a fantastic program with such a low barrier to entry. I am a fan. I am a Fan-Boy.

I am a Appleseed Believer.

Sep 29, 2009
    Mooresville
    First, I'd like to second what Dom said, both posts! I had a great time (this was my second) and my wife reluctantly came. And, despite a rifle that kept messing up, she came back Sunday and did super and actually enjoyed herself! :): And she did great too! She had about a 1-1/2 inch group on the ball and dummy and several much tighter groups on the redcoats and AQT's! I am very proud! :rockwoot: Now she is talking about getting a friend of hers and my mom, who has been once before, to come out for the women only weekend! :rockwoot: Thanks again to everyone and especially Don who helped my wife (and me too) out alot! You guys are awesome!

And we really enjoyed the history and the Indiana Society Sons of the American Revolution. What a treat!

Also, is the pic of the riflemen going to be posted anywhere? I definitely want a copy of that!

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Tryin'

Victimized
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Appleseed. Is. Amazing.

At least that is what my bro. keeps saying. . . :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:
    The improvement in our skills was hard to believe! Dom, amazing shooting, seriously, wow. . . :yesway::yesway::yesway:

Unfortunately, My brothers hat will no longer fit, being 16 and a RIFLEMAN tend to do unspeakable things to the male ego. . .

I don't have an all-rifleman photo, but I do have these. . .

BEAUTIFUL day. . .

My Bro is a RIFLEMAN!

Rockin' good time!

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    The semi official posting?

Maybe we will get some photo's to go with this!

A beautiful weekend to honor our Founders.

At range Friday afternoon with my youngest daughter to set up the target line, then back in the evening to set up my camp site.

Saturday started at 7:30 AM for instructor briefing ..... with an early shooter ready to check in. A beautiful day, sunny and in the mid 60's, light breeze

Due to range restrictions we can't send rounds down range until 10AM. So with check-in from 8:30 to 9 out of the way, introductions, an excellent first strike (presented by Bill) to frame the weekend, shooters equipment to line, Safety briefing, and rifles to the line ... with 18 shooters on the line we sent first rounds down range to the Red Coat just after 10.

From Red Coat to squares on prone steady hold factors, Six steps to firing the shot, NPOA and IMC, stopping at 12 for an excellent lunch provided by Boy Scout Troop 93 of Cloverdale. After lunch and 2nd Strike, back on the range the Color Guard of the Indiana Society of the Sons of The American Revolution presented the flags of the revolution and their history. Discussed the Revolutionary War clothing they were wearing and then ran though a musket drill and firing demonstration.

Back on line with double Redcoats and squares still wringing out equipment problems. A team Star shoot follows as we practice what has been learned, then squares, introducing standing / sitting positions. Then............ the time to honor those who fell THAT day is upon us.

A Proclamation is read, the tone is set.

A name rings out..... AIM....FIRE!

and our 18 gun salute merges with Appleseeders across the nation in Remembering .... and .....Honoring

Back to the squares and we wrap it up at 5PM, with a group of tired shooters

Sunday dawns bright and clear, chilly in the AM but almost hot in the afternoon. 20 Shooters on the line this AM. Our Redcoat shows marked improvement from yesterday, with three shooters clearing the target. An indication of what will follow?

We run Ball & Dummy on a Redcoat followed by introduction of transitions to make use of the complete target. Lunch and 3rd Strike. Now …...AQT time. From the first AQT we start handing out Rifleman patches, wrapping up the day with EIGHT Rifleman. Three confirmed their understanding of Marksmanship Fundamentals with additional Rifleman scores.

Wrapped up another great weekend Appleseeding with an outstanding group of folks.

Our thanks to all who spent this weekend with us! Come back and strengthen those ties that bind us together as Americans and bring some friends!

Sep 29, 2009
    Mooresville
    Yes, thanks Tryin' for the pictures!

I shared our experience on Facebook yesterday, along with one of my wife's targets, and I had a guy (who I've known for probably 15 years, but never really hung out with) tell me he wants to learn to shoot, and he asked me if I would help him. I don't think he has ever shot anything. So, I am pretty excited for the opportunity and I hope he takes me up on my offer to come to my house and learn a little. Then, hopefully, I can get him to the Appleseed! :rockwoot:

DHolder

Expert
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    This weekend, we came to honor our Founding Fathers. We were fortunate enough to have 3 gentlemen from the Indiana Society of the Sons of the American Revolution color guard. They are reinactors and they came to demonstrate and educate us on the life of the Revolutionary War soldier. They brought with them period clothing, rifles and flags. ey explained to us how their uniforms were mostly just the clothes they would have normally worn. They answered the question of why their hats were 3 cornered as well as why a feather was called "macaroni" One child asked "Were you in the RW?" after much laughter he kindly explained no he wasn't.

It was explained to the group the meaning of some of the flags of the period. The popular Gadsden Flag and the Union Jack are still around today. Both having snakes and stating "Don't Tread On Me"

As the program ended the actors took up arms. They got into formation and on command loaded their muskets. When the "fire" command was given, a loud bang and a cloud of smoke the show came to and end. The actors were kind enough to stay for pictures and and I'm sure my children had more "good" questions.

Later in the day at 4 pm we paused for a roll call. The instructors read the names of those slain in the scirmishes on April 19th 1775. Each person in attendance was on the line and fired one round into a target as a rememberance of those fallen heroes.

In all the weekend was history in its self. Ordinary citizens came out to enjoy history, spend time together. As a bonus came away with shooting skills they can build on for life!!

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    They answered the question of why their hats were 3 cornered as well as why a feather was called "macaroni" One child asked "Were you in the RW?" after much laughter he kindly explained no he wasn't.

Outstanding! I am glad they were well received. So, Don, why do they call it macaroni? and why are the hats worn with three corners?

YHJ

Tryin'

Victimized
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    It was called macaroni due to a famous clothes designer of that period having that name. The colonials were a ragtag bunch, and so when they placed the feather (for identification) the red coats would sneer: "They think it's Macaroni!"

The tri-cornered hat served to prevent a wind from blowing the hat off. Check one out and you will see how well it works!

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    It was called macaroni due to a famous clothes designer of that period having that name. The colonials were a ragtag bunch, and so when they placed the feather (for identification) the red coats would sneer: "They think it's Macaroni!"

The tri-cornered hat served to prevent a wind from blowing the hat off. Check one out and you will see how well it works!

Thats something I have always wondered and no one has ever been able to answer it! I love learning new things.:yesway: sent some rep your way.

Sep 29, 2009
    Mooresville
    One of the facts I liked was the one we got when someone asked how much a flintlock rifle cost to an average person. I don't think there was an answer for cost, but he said that when you wanted a rifle, you had to go to a locksmith and have him make a lock, go to a blacksmith and have him make a barrel, then go to a carpenter and have him make a stock and then put it alltogether. So I guess the cost could vary quite a bit. But he also said that somebody finally came up with the idea of putting the parts together and selling them whole. So they advertised, get your rifles here, "lock, stock and barrel." So that is where that saying came from.

And the story about how they came up with rifled barrels was also interesting. The rifles fouled up so bad, that after about the fourth shot, you might not get another ball down the barrel. So someone thought, why not put some grooves inside the barrel to trap the fouling and see if it would go longer between cleanings. Then someone thought, why not put the grooves in a spiral pattern, then you have more length to the grooves and more surface area to catch even more fouling. Then they shot it to try it out and were amazed at what the "rifling" did to their accuracy.

Their visit was a very informative and interesting one for sure. I really enjoyed it!

Top Bottom