• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I can't speak for Shay but he had a bunch of lights available for demonstration. I would say bring your current light, figure out what works and what doesn't and then go from there. Hind sight 20/20 I would have taken the class first and then bought the light. I personally would not go out and buy a $150 light only to figure out it is not what you really want. Ask me how I know! Actually I was very happy with my current light (and still actually, it is in my pocket right now) but I see other features that I think might work better. But my current light is servicable and will work just fine for now.

Only part of the class actually used our lights. We actually used dummy lights to practice a lot of the strikes.
    LOL!

My SureFire C2 has been with me now for*** I think almost 10 years. Something like that anyway, a long time. It is my go to light. And yes it has even seen use a .25 roll once or twice in the Bars in Germany, they have a LOT of Weapons Restrictions there... :popcorn:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Most of my classes can be taken by showing up with a pen and paper. If I don't provide all the equipment anyway, I have loaners of just about everything.
    That is great to know, however I am a HUGE fan of training with My Kit, that way I can either confirm or verify it does/does not work...
    Plus there is nothing like knowing where the line of Equipment Death is for your own gear.

Although, I will tell the CFO (Wife) that I have to have something for the class anyway...
    Now to think of what I really need for the Class... ;)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    My SureFire C2 has been with me now for*** I think almost 10 years.

So its incandescent then eh? :stickpoke:

:laugh:

As VERT said, bring what you've got and try out some of Shay's various lights to see what works best for you.

Only part of the class actually used our lights. We actually used dummy lights to practice a lot of the strikes.

:yesway:

Loved the DIY training lights.

5a9a843c.jpg

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Hey now. You're giving away my high tech dummy training light trade secrets. :):

We use the dummy lights when actual light isn't important to the exercise and to save wear and tear on people's personal lights.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Hey now. You're giving away my high tech dummy training light trade secrets. :):

Is it bad that I was thinking of other ways to build them on my drive back home? :):

I cannot wait until I have to make the switch the new CFL ones... :popcorn:

CFL? lmao

You mean LED? :rockwoot:

From class-- "Incan lights are now like the 8-track tapes of the flashlight world". :laugh:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    My Bad... :dunno:

I'm just bustin' your chops. CFLs are those spiral lights that everyone uses in their homes these days.

And when I use up my bulb supply I will be making the Switchover to the LED Head I already have for it... ;)

Lots of advantages to the new LED technology.

• Brighter light output in smaller packages
    • Cooler temps
    • Can take more shock, even when hot
    • More durable overall (no filament to break)
    • Has a life expectancy that far exceeds incan

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy

• Cooler temps

And typically lower power consumption which translates to longer run-time on a set of batteries.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I'm just bustin' your chops. CFLs are those spiral lights that everyone uses in their homes these days.
    I know...
    I was being facetious... ;)

• Cooler temps
    I know the problem is I don't like to throw away good stuff. Plus there is absolutely little to no market to sell the Incandescent in my stockpiles. As I use up the Incandescent;), they are being replaced by LED Heads...

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I would say it includes either. My light will come on with light pressure on the switch. By fully depressing the switch the light "clicks" on. The problem is once it is on you can't get it to turn off in a fight. Seems easy enough but you can't. Plus under stress you tend to mash it on. Multi function would be even worse. For example my current light has high mode with one click and low mode with two clicks. So if you are trying to get it on and off quickly you might have low light when you want high.

Not sure how the high, low, strobe, twist twice type in a code enter a pin type light would work under stress? My guess is that it would suck.

What you want to buy is a light with a tailcap that has a momentary switch. Press to turn on, release to turn off. The cap then twists for the light to stay on for utility purposes. That is fine because you won't be under stress when turning on your light to look behind the couch for the babies binky.

Oh by the way I will cut you a great deal on a SureFire Defender! :D I know you like how bright it is.

Thanks for the clarification on the light operation!

I learned a lot about light tactics this weekend during the ACT lowlight class, so I'm starting to get a good idea of what I might like in an EDC flashlight.

Need to get some more training next year (including force on force with Shay), but having a good idea of what I'm looking at.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I learned a lot about light tactics this weekend during the ACT lowlight class, so I'm starting to get a good idea of what I might like in an EDC flashlight.

Keep in mind that different school have different schools of thought on what constitutes a good defense light. What may work well in one context may not work well in another.

If all you plan to do is shoot with your light you would probably end up with a different priority of features. A weapon mounted light is always superior for shooting. The focus of this combatives class is when you ONLY have your light and how to use it best for defense. It's also important to have a flashlight that can stay with you in non-permissive environments which again shuffles the priority of the features. A light that doesn't make it on the airplane or inside the court house with you isn't going to be available as a tool for your defense in those places.

In a nutshell, my list is:
    - Small enough to carry every day on your person
    - Big enough to fight with
    - Bright enough to cause a veiling glare
    - Tough enough to survive repeated hard impacts
    - Plain bezel that invites no scrutiny
    - Thumb on the button, light comes on. Thumb off the button, light goes off

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The more I think about it I might just start to carry two lights. One like the one Shay described above and one to stab people. :laugh: I can be a one man fist of fury. :D

MangoTango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Hi everyone, I am new to INGO and learned about this site from the awesome Mindset Course I just took. Previously known as Julie and now MangoTango this class not only gave me skills but changed the lens I am viewing everyday situations. Since perception many times over rules facts in combat situations, the increased knowledge of risks vs benefits in several situation was an important part of this course. (i.e. small bloody gashes that do not take you opponent out of the fight vs. looks worse to the officer that eventually shows up, bystanders view of situation if they didn't see who "started it" (the uninjured guy must have started it...look at that other dude), and increased risk of a blood- born pathogen getting into my eyes or mouth). It also forced me to think about what I might do instinctively which gives me the power to train to overcome a natural instinct or work with it. This course is equal parts making me a better decision maker as well as improved physical skills. PS: I just bought the Surefire Aviator. I really like the blue light for low light. I am hoping this helps me preserve battery power as my daughter grabs it to look for everything (as do i with my old light) and now she knows to use the blue light. Also got a box of batteries. Glad I waited to buy a light until I had my inservice. Good lesson for any future purchases.

Top Bottom