• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    This was the first time I've taken the opportunity to take some training outside of the Army. I cannot convey the level of appreciation I now have for training from a different point of view. I now realize that I approached firearm defense totally wrong and would have possibly endangered myself and those around me, more than achieve the result of lessening my level of personal injury or death.

Shay covered everything that anyone would need as a foundation for training. Although I can normally hit six out of eight shots with my 1911 at 75 yards and can shoot 3-5 rounds to form a quarter size hole in a target at 7 yards, none of that really matters when a gun has to be deployed to save my life.

I've posted on several threads stating that I wasn't sure what I would do if I walked into a threat. Now, I have some level of knowledge what I should do, depending on several possibilities. I can now take that knowledge and build upon it to train my reflexes and act to achieve the goal of preventing my injury or loss of life.

If you have not taken a class at Mindset Laboratory, I would highly encourage it. I will be taking more in the very near future. Shay is an excellent trainer who conveys what he knows and isn't embarrassed to say if he doesn't know an answer. You will be VERY surprised how much you can learn about yourself in one day, running around a warehouse, deploying what is learned. Tyler said if I didn't like the class he would pay for mine. Well, Tyler, keep the money, because this was well worth my time and money.

Oh yeah, I will stop after this, but I never knew how much one can learn from the use of a blue training gun. I laughed when they were first brought out. Now, I own one and will be using it to safely practice my draw and other exercises learned today.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    I cannot convey the level of appreciation I now have for training from a different point of view.
    Took that course a few years ago. I understand how difficult it is to convey.

If you have not taken a class at Mindset Laboratory, I would highly encourage it.
    Agree wholeheartedly.
    ETA: Just realized you have dynamic scenarios tomorrow. It gets even better ...

True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing. -Socrates

Last edited:

Ridgeway

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    A big +1.

It was my first force on force class & was a great opportunity to work on/apply techniques learned @ the instant course or other more 'traditional' style courses.

Putting everything together was quite eye opening. It's one thing to try a detailed drill against static paper. A dynamic scenario & target really changes the experience and lets one see how they would really react.

I know I'll be adjusting what I carry & hopefully my reaction(s) in the event of a grave situation. First, in my choice of carry - perhaps decreasing my reliance on my LCP back to a G26. Second, I can see the value of a spare mag, particularly when carrying a smaller gun. Running out of ammo is a bad feeling . . .

In sum I thought it was an extremely valuable class & will be heading back for the 2nd day as soon as I am able.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    A big +1.

It was my first force on force class & was a great opportunity to work on/apply techniques learned @ the instant course or other more 'traditional' style courses.

Putting everything together was quite eye opening. It's one thing to try a detailed drill against static paper. A dynamic scenario & target really changes the experience and lets one see how they would really react.

I know I'll be adjusting what I carry & hopefully my reaction(s) in the event of a grave situation. First, in my choice of carry - perhaps decreasing my reliance on my LCP back to a G26. Second, I can see the value of a spare mag, particularly when carrying a smaller gun. Running out of ammo is a bad feeling . . .

In sum I thought it was an extremely valuable class & will be heading back for the 2nd day as soon as I am able.

I think I knew an Army mentality is not appropriate for civilian life, but I also learned that a LEO mentality is totally wrong, too. Having the right mindset to ensure my life is protected was a valuable lesson for me. So, yeah, I want to see any bag guy go to jail, but it may not be in my best interest to hang around and see that happen. I need to FAST and take advantage of the space created.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Que,

It was good to finally get you to a class. I could see the light bulb turn on several times as the day progressed.

Decision making under stress isn't easy. The more you do it the better you get. I know I'll see you in class again soon.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Que,

It was good to finally get you to a class. I could see the light bulb turn on several times as the day progressed.

Decision making under stress isn't easy. The more you do it the better you get. I know I'll see you in class again soon.

Shay, I was listening to NPR this morning and they had the reporter on who interviewed the SEAL team that took out OBL. One of them said they had performed over 1,000 training missions, preparing for that day. He said they trained so much it was like "mowing the lawn" when they actually had to do it. I will always be an advocate for training.

The biggest shocker in civilian life is not having anyone else around to help you. If something happens, it will be me alone and that is totally different than having a team, squad, or platoon.

I'll see you in the next class.

GreatLakes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I took Force on Force with Shay here are my observation notes:
    While it is important to train your shot to be more accurate, train your body to fight and train with others to protect one another. All of these exercises are mechanical. Training your mind to assess a situation after being surprised and under extreme stress is a very different kind of training. Midset Labs and Shay the owner have a formula for showing just how difficult it is to think clearly in those situations. In Force on Force you are in the situation you will most likely be in and hate to train for – the position of the victim. You don’t see it coming, you don’t easily anticipate the scenario and you are faced with whether to fight or not fight. Your life and/or your future could depend on going through such a class. Assessing a situation quickly and accurately and making fast decisions about your course of action is very difficult. Going through the paces in a controlled environment while under stress is exactly what anyone who caries regularly needs. It’s easy to spend money on the next cool gun, treat your weapon as it should be treated, like a dangerous tool. Just don’t neglect the most important tool in the tool box, your mind. Training with Shay will help you to see just how important that training is and how necessary.

Top Bottom