• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I took Mindset Labs Introduction to Force on Force class today. Wow, what an experience. This was the first training class that I have taken, and while I don't have anything to compare it to, I can say that I found the class extremely beneficial.

What did we learn? In a word, mindset. This is not a class on marksmanship. It is not a class on combat. It is a class on mindset, which is the most important skill that you can develop. Spending time at the range is important, but it does not teach you how to assess a situation, formulate a response, and then execute that response with skill.

Along with many other topics, we went over the three parts of a fight; before the fight, during the fight, and after the fight. Too many times it seems that people focus on what they would do during the fight, neglecting the importance of training, developing situational awareness, and maintaining a healthy body and mind. Most of the time we also ignore what will happen after the fight. Are we ready for that situation? What does it entail? These were all things that we went over in the lecture and during the scenario.

As for the scenario based exercise, well you'll have to take the class to find out more. All I can tell you is that I learned a lot, had great critique of my abilities, and came away wanting even more training.

Perhaps the most important thing that I learned today is that I can either continue along the way that I have been, or I can actively choose to improve myself by developing a training plan to address my weaknesses.

Thank you Shay for putting on a great class. I am looking forward to my next training class with Mindset Labs.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks for the AAR! It sounds like your experience was every bit as eye-opening as mine was.

PM inbound to find out how you did in the scenario. ;)

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Thanks for the AAR! It sounds like your experience was every bit as eye-opening as mine was.

PM inbound to find out how you did in the scenario. ;)

He did better than I did, I don't even know how I coulda done worse. Ok, I don't think I was THAT bad.

This course was a lot of fun, and really showed me how unready I really am.

Now I just need to talk the wife into letting me go to another couple of his courses in the next month or two.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I don't even know how I coulda done worse.

really showed me how unready I really am.

Strange as it may sound, I'm glad you failed and saw how ill-prepared you may be. Because if you're gonna fail, that is the place to do it. It sounds like you were given the gift of a reality-check, which most people will never accept.

As I told Bruenor in a PM-- it gets better. :D

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    You fail until you don't. It's a fact of life. If you haven't failed, then you haven't been tested. If you haven't been tested, how will you know how you will perform?

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    So I just sent in registration for the FOF scenarios on the 5th, hope there is room (and that I don't get laughed at and told to take intro again).

Can't wait for the combatives/retention in November.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So I just sent in registration for the FOF scenarios on the 5th,

That's a pretty fast-paced class, as it contains more scenarios than Low-Light and Vehicle. Its a great next step though. You will be mentally exhausted by the end of it. :D

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    This is one of my all time favorite classes. So much that I have sent both my parents to today's class.

Your family will have A LOT to talk about ;)

It was a pleasure meeting and training your parents. It was great to see two people so genuine.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Perhaps the most important thing that I learned today is that I can either continue along the way that I have been, or I can actively choose to improve myself by developing a training plan to address my weaknesses.

Definitely agree with this statement. I took the class yesterday (7/22) and it was an awesome class. I learned a lot about myself (some good and some not so much) and I'm looking forward to building on the things I took away from training with Mindset. The scenario in one word - intense!

I was also in class with smccabe17's parents - very nice pair of folks. Had a good time chatting with them both.

Already signed up for the flashlight class on 9/9!

Top Bottom