AAR: MTAC Armed Citizen HD (Home Defense) Feb. 3, 2018.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Where:
    Muncie Threat Assessment Center (MTAC).

Synopsis: Armed Citizen Home Defense is a class that teaches the basics of defending your home against intruders, whether they be unarmed or armed. It is not a course for cowboys. It is a conservative, low risk, survival based approach that gives you solid legal foundation, powerful fundamentals that you can rely on, and practical exercises with surprises to keep you problem solving. Do not expect to play an offensive ninja role. The instructors have firsthand experience in law enforcement. I attended the course with only basic prerequisites in my skillset- Basic Pistol and Defense with a Pistol Outside the Home.

When I arrived I was greeted immediately and received my UTM training ammo. We were then given our holsters and each of us received a UTM training weapon-real Glocks, with a completely safe training modification. They fire little plastic projectiles at low velocity from an almost standard case. There is no difference between this and real firearm except no injury, less recoil and noise. Your target knows when they are hit. We next were given classroom instruction on how the class would unfold, first with instruction on basic home security, castle doctrine, mindset, and procedures to follow if you have unwanted guests. Heavy emphasis was placed on responsible reactions in the moment which would help should you end up in court.

Next, we eased into “slicing the pie”, then acclimation using training rounds. This was helpful for many of us to see how much of a target is presented from threat and defender views as well as engagement technique. After that we were taught movement fundamentals and safety precautions for dealing with unarmed/armed assailants. We mentally reviewed how each of us might be placed if we were resting at home when a break-in occurred. We got to ask questions along the way and did some dynamic practice. During that time, the most important take away for me was that I asked about the specific layout of my home and how it would best be defended. Shannon and Eric were quick to strategize and solve with me. This segment ended for me with a solid plan. I knew then I already had my money’s worth. In addition, they were very good throughout the course with answering anything we could ask.

After a break we started with scenarios in the shoot house. I was unfamiliar with the location so there was some acclimating there. The other students had taken several classes, some of them were “alumni” already and were familiar with the MTAC terms, layout etc. I picked it up as we went along. MTAC setup allows for ultimate variability and scaling scenarios to “unlimited complexity” as Eric put it. This got me excited for future training. Suffice to say the scenarios were excellent. Like another poster, I will not share what occurred, because it would prepare you for what to expect, and we should all be expecting the unexpected. If you find yourself more advanced, I’m sure these guys have something for you. Attend a training and find out.

Lastly, I’m appreciative of the team effort and all of my classmates, instructors and scenario role players. I spoke with a few of the scenario “actors”, who have gone through MTAC trainings, and now are playing roles of bad guy, family, etc. This place goes 360. Another amazing feature of scenarios was being able to watch my fellow students run through them. It was useful to hear everyone's AARs- reviewing our weaknesses, strengths and plans. The realism and intensity were second to none for me, and beat any day shooting paper targets. I left for the day with a tremendous sense of humility, gratitude and value. It also reminded me how precious our lives are and the objective of why I train- to have skills to protect them. This course prepared me with concrete tools to employ immediately. It gave a boost to my confidence and revealed where I still need training. The best of all of it is now I have a durable home defense plan.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom