• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    MEET AND SHOOT was pretty good, moderate attendance. Jedi will no doubt have 'official' numbers.

Worst thing that happened was getting a Jedi hug. I have now declared my body a JEDI FREE ZONE.

Shooting a stock Glock 19 with assorted factory FMJ ammo, mostly cheap import stuff and a few reloads mixed into the container too.

Had what I consider to be a Mini-KaBoom because the gun appears to be in tact.

The last round fired, but the gun was not in full battery so the bullet was not all the way into the chamber. Case head split off and expanding gasses exited down into the magazine, blowing the bottom of the magazine off and cracking it, ejecting the spring out the bottom of the gun. Hot gasses exited out the trigger and mag release areas and rushed past my fingers, causing NO burn but it was an odd uncomfortable sensation. Only after looking it over did I realize that what I had felt was the hot exhaust gasses rushing out around the trigger and mag release.

The case head of the cartridge separated from the sidewalls and fell away when I was inspecting the gun to see what the heck just happened. Case is stuck in the chamber, but I suspect it will extract pretty easily when I take the gun apart.

I see ZERO damage to the gun, except the magazine baseplate, which can be replaced.

Lonehoosier & KLB were standing there when it happened and they also took a quick look at the gun, perhaps they will have a bit of input. There was NO DRAMA, it was almost like a non-event. Oh, Jedi was there but as he is allergic to Glocks he only noticed the base plate fall out. Not sure if he realized anything else happened, but then again, we are talking about Jedi and nobody really knows where his mind is.

On the bright side, my 30 year old ultra-rare MC finished/one-of-a-kind Detonics MK VII 38Super ran flawlessly, which is what you'd expect from a Detonics compact 1911 pistol.

Also pulled out an early production Para "CARRY9" pistol. Its a 1911 style pistol with their proprietary LDA (Light Double Action) trigger system. I used to carry it all the time. Not sure why I stopped. I may start again. Its a super sweet pistol to carry and to shoot. Light weight, 9 shots of 9mm, and 1911 controls with an awesome trigger.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    DJJ_5018w_zpsa107323c.jpg

:lol2:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Shooting a stock Glock 19 with assorted factory FMJ ammo, mostly cheap import stuff and a few reloads mixed into the container too.

Had what I consider to be a Mini-KaBoom because the gun appears to be in tact.

The last round fired, but the gun was not in full battery so the bullet was not all the way into the chamber. Case head split off and expanding gasses exited down into the magazine, blowing the bottom of the magazine off and cracking it, ejecting the spring out the bottom of the gun. Hot gasses exited out the trigger and mag release areas and rushed past my fingers, causing NO burn but it was an odd uncomfortable sensation. Only after looking it over did I realize that what I had felt was the hot exhaust gasses rushing out around the trigger and mag release.

The case head of the cartridge separated from the sidewalls and fell away when I was inspecting the gun to see what the heck just happened. Case is stuck in the chamber, but I suspect it will extract pretty easily when I take the gun apart.

I see ZERO damage to the gun, except the magazine baseplate, which can be replaced.

Lonehoosier & KLB were standing there when it happened and they also took a quick look at the gun, perhaps they will have a bit of input. There was NO DRAMA, it was almost like a non-event. Oh, Jedi was there but as he is allergic to Glocks he only noticed the base plate fall out. Not sure if he realized anything else happened, but then again, we are talking about Jedi and nobody really knows where his mind is.
    I wonder if it was merely the proximity to Jedi that caused the issue. :dunno:

On the bright side, my 30 year old ultra-rare MC finished/one-of-a-kind Detonics MK VII 38Super ran flawlessly, which is what you'd expect from a Detonics compact 1911 pistol.
    Well, flawlessly except for that one little incident with you know who.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    What a great time, as usual!

I typically (always, thus far, but I can be optimistic about the future) miss the June/July/August GTGs, and Sept is kinda hit and miss for me. My +1 today, Bobby, is a swell young man who has instructed riflery in a camp-style basis for several years but has shown some interest in learning more about shooting. We were a little late getting things loaded up (he fought a screen door and the door won with a strike to the heel) but got in just before lunchtime.

I needed to do a little testing of my Glock magazines to make sure they were working properly, after I had a recent jam develop with one of my magazines. Turns out I have two that will jam in my Glock but work without jamming in my Sub2000 (go figure? - a new post I guess..)

Other than that, though, I really just wanted to show Bobby a good time. Any day on the range is good by me, but having an event like this where he could try small/medium/large handguns of varied calibers, rifles (thanks for letting him try the Mosin-Nagant, Jedi!) and shotguns.

Then, we snuck off to try our combined hands at shooting clays. It was, in short, a hoot of a time - I thought I could hear folks over on the shotgun field shooting so we just drove over, and the place was empty. I considered heading back to see if I could locate Mr.O and his thrower, but I decided to try throwing them by hand..

nr14_CT_KnappScholarship_lg.jpg

If Tom Knapp can throw 10, surely we can throw 1, right?

Sorta, yeah - I mean, not well, but we probably threw better than we could shoot. It was an excellent time, though, and we talked the entire car ride home about shotguns. He's a young man working a pretty decent job, so I feel like we'll probably have a new shooter in the club soon enough. I'm off to lock my thread trying to sell the ol' pump Ithaca and start looking for a thrower of my own..

As always, gents, a great day - thank you for all the hospitality!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Remember.
    The only time you need the spare tire for your trailer, is when you LEAVE IT IN THE GARAGE.

Spare trailer tire is now on the trailer.
    The donut tire for the Ford Escape, has been put UNDER the Escape, where it's supposed to be. For the first time in 4 years.
    I did this, because I now have a FULL SIZE spare on the front of the Escape.
    The problem is
    IT LEAKS out the valve stem.
    W
    T
    F
    The middle of the day..... shooting guns..... great.
    The beginning and the end...... SUCKED.

So, when I get 2 new trailer tires, I'm going to see if they'll tighten the valve stem on my truck's spare.

Black Betty got a workout.

I'm almost out of .38/.357 and .308 ammo.

It was nice to see everyone there.
    Gunbunnies, tell your brother that your nephew was very well behaved.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    OK I'll make a few comments before I post my official AAR as I just finished putting everything away and cleaning the runs. :faint:

1) LoneDisaster
    Let it be know that Lonehoosier is a LOSER!!! That dude left not one but two shotguns behind! :facepalm:
    I ended up meeting him on the way home to get them back to him. Next time however, I'm going to raffle them off. MMUUUUAAAAHHHHH

2)melensdad you got Kevin's hug!
    MEET AND SHOOT was pretty good, moderate attendance. Jedi will no doubt have 'official' numbers.

Worst thing that happened was getting a Jedi hug. I have now declared my body a JEDI FREE ZONE.

Kevin and GG did not show up with a mini-14 and neither did melensdad so your punishment was a Jedi hug! :rofl:

There was NO DRAMA, it was almost like a non-event. Oh, Jedi was there but as he is allergic to Glocks he only noticed the base plate fall out. Not sure if he realized anything else happened, but then again, we are talking about Jedi and nobody really knows where his mind is.

You see everyone proof that GLOCKs :puke: go KABOOM and are evil dangerous guns!!! My life was in danger as I was next to him on the other side of the bench when the 'clip' sprang it's spring. Melensdad put that horrible weapon on the bench to inspect the 'clip' and spring and I had to use my pen to push and point that GLOCK :puke: in a safe direction. Now my poor pen is traumatized for life!
    :rofl:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Jedi's AAR

-FINANCIAL UPDATE--
    Pre-Event Pot: $150.03
    Expenses: $100 plywood
    Donations: $0.00
    Post-Event Pot: $50.03

Thanks to larry for bring the plywood and making a $30 donation for it as well.
    We end up getting $130 worth of plywood. I think it was 9 sheets of plywood.
    Larry can you confirm please.

--EDIT--
    15 sheets of plywood were donated!
    --END EDIT--

--FOOD UPDATE--
    Thank you to all the brought food.

This is what our inventory looks like
    3 bag of chips
    1 bag of assorted packaged cookies

We are good on plates, cups, napkins and forks BTW.
    We have jumbo dogs, regular dogs, bacon, BLTs, and a slew of sweets.
    Rex's fiance brought ICE TEA powder and using SnapDragon's cold water OMG :drool: that stuff was yummy!
    We need more of that stuff for next time. LIPTON Ice Tea was :drool:

---THE RANGE---
    Lots and lots of new faces this month.
    4H was there early in the morning with some kids doing 10/22s, then some handguns and even a black powder handgun.
    Nice to see them still doing classes for the kids on an on-going basis.
    Those same 4H instructors will be at the youth event next month helping with the bow and arrow and crossbows.

Could not have asked for better weather. It was chilly in the morning but as the sun came out it was get right with a very light breeze. Staying in the sun did get a bit uncomfortable but the shade was good.
    (Note to self bring sunscreen for next time)

The RO said thanks for the plywood. He was very grateful for it. I talked to him in terms of what else they need.
    The dustpans are now 1 year old and have taken a beating both from use and by the elements. So hopefully we can take them some next month. Brooms are 50/50 right now. They like the big ones we took them last year in JUN but don't always put them out as one of those brooms "walked". :xmad: So I'll try and see if I can find 2 more big brooms and bring those smaller cheaper ones as well.

If you have an old broom at home we can use it as a donation.

--SPECIAL EVENTS--
    Sorry no competitions were held this month. :crying: It was my first month this year and I'm a bit rusty in terms of getting everything organized plus my mind has been on the YOUTH DAY.

--MY DAY--
    Well it had been 5 months since I last shoot anything so I had no expectations this time around but I surprised myself.

Test 1 - 200 (Sharpshooter) Lv2
    Test 2 - 242 (Expert) Lv3 :woot:
    Test 3 - 158 (Marksmen) Lv1
    Test 4 - 180 (Sharpshooter) Lv2
    Test 5 - 138 (Marksmen) Lv1
    --afterlunch--
    Test 6 - 202 (Sharpshooter) Lv2
    Test 7 - 200 (Sharpshooter) Lv2

Not bad for taking 5 months off. But I think it's time to move up to .223. I did shoot the .30 carbine but not on the Appleseed targets since that little gun can't do the last 2 stages without shooting way high. Limitations of the gun not the sights.

Thanks to KLB and lonehoosier for helping me figure out why the Hi-Point carbine I had was shooting way to high. The front post is missing a piece! :facepalm: Will have to get that fixed sometime this month hopefully.

The mosin kicked like a mule again but I was able to stay on target and it's always a blast to see others shoot it and the smile they have afterwards. :) I only did 10 rounds and that was enough to leave me bruised.

BTW whatever Mr. O says about me and his sidearms is a FLAT OUT LIE!!!! :whistle:

--FINAL COMMENTS--
    I counted 24 members and guest at the event. Good to see our 'indy INGO" members show up.

Last edited:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Man the wife and I have a blast, we come here to see pics, tons of comments and get this short turnout. Told the wife she should now get on INGO so we'll see. She also had fun with the clays.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Best part of the day was shooting the Para CARRY9 pistol.

Its been tucked away and not carrier for way to long. That is just a sweet shooting gun, light weight, 9 shots, compact size and the "LDA" trigger system is pretty darn amazing. My 'new' carry gun may end up being one of my 'old' carry guns.

Glad I pulled that out of the safe.

2)melensdad you got Kevin's hug!

Kevin and GG did not show up with a mini-14 and neither did melensdad so your punishment was a Jedi hug! :rofl:
    Well I left mine at home because Kev answered your TEXT by saying he would bring his Mini14. No need to punish me for his transgressions!

Top Bottom