• ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    When and Where: 7 NOV 2021, Mayday Gun Range Oxford, OH

Who: Dave Spaulding primary instructor, Bucky Buchannen Assistant Instructor

What: One day class on what Dave calls the "combative" use of the Mini Red Dot Sight on a pistol. Not to be confused with the competitive use of the same.

My gear: Sig X-compact with Romeo 1 Pro and Wilson Combat grip unit. Comptac Warrior OWB holster, with open front concealment. About 250 rounds of Federal Syntech 147 grain training match ammunition.

Intro: I had been to a Dave Spaulding class many moons ago in South Bend, IN. It was so long ago that I was one of the first people he had seen in a class both carrying appendix and shooting a pistol with a slide mounted red dot. Obviously I knew who Dave was prior to that as he has a long history in the firearms training community. This current class was being billed as the last class under his Handgun Combatives banner before he retires. He will continue to teach on occasion but no longer as a regular thing.

I arrived at the nice indoor range about an hour early as is my custom. Dave and the other students started arriving a short time later. We set up in a classroom and got paperwork and some conversation taken care of before a 9:00 start time. There were 12 students signed up for the class. 10 showed.
    Dave started right off by explaining that he and Bucky had developed this class because of customer demand, not because he felt a special class for MRDS guns was necessary. I have heard Steve Fisher say the same thing in class years ago. Dave further explained that he and Bucky developed the curriculum for this class independent of what others were doing and then went to some classes taught by others. Dave then went on to give his viewpoints on many things red dot related. He talked about liking auto adjust dots (somewhat of a departure from most instructors), the MRDS as a great raining aid even if you don't carry it, how important a proprioceptive index is for MRDS pistols, and the number 1 problem with using the MRDS, presentation. He also mentions how while being able to threat focus is a great benefit to dot guns, it still has to be remembered that the gun still blocks things about the target/opponent such as hands and waistband.

The classroom portion of the day would then focus on the history of the MRDS on handguns and the units themselves and set up. It is at this point that I would like to point out Dave Spaulding was actually an early expirimentor of MRDS on handguns. I remember when I went to that class with him years ago he had already been trying all of this stuff out after seeing Kelly McCaan work with it. When speaking of BUIS on MRDS handguns Dave says he is generally in favor of them but prefers a lower than true co-witness (I agree), and that it should be remembered if something is occluding your lens the BUIS may not be visible either. He is in agreement with most others and believes that the irons should be zero'd separately from the dot. We talked about alternative sighting methods and testing your gun/sight combo in all weather conditions. When speaking of brands, Dave says he has seen the most failures with Vortex and Sig Romeo sights. Again, I concur. Surprisingly to me, he likes the Bushnell 250. That is one of the few MRDS that I have not tried and you don't really hear much about them. As soon as I have another pistol that needs a dot, I will try one out. As Dave sees it the keys to MRDS use are 1) Consistency, 2) Deliberation, 3) Essential skills done the same way every time. An interesting side note Dave brought up is that his biggest fear with the MRDS is not complete failure of the dot, but an unexpected shift of zero. That would suck to still see your dot so you don't think anything is wrong, but suddenly you aren't hitting anything. He said he has had it happen. Dave wrapped up the classroom portion with a safety brief that was as follows. "DON"T DO STUPID SH^T!" That is pretty much in keeping with the no nonsense personality I have come to expect from Dave.

On the range we split up into two relays and started with zeroing. We were shooting on a 3X3 inch target at 10 yards. I was nervous to do well in the class and it showed. Typically I can put a 5 round group into one large hole at 10 yards but that didn't happen here. It got worse when the lady I was paired with put her rounds into one small hole. We then moved back to 25 yards where I was able to redeem myself. A few others had to do a fair amount of adjusting. Dave then had us shoot his chest cavity at 5, 7, 10, 12, 20, and 25 yards, I was settling into a groove now and getting more comfortable. After this it was a break for lunch.

Back at the range after lunch we started with the big reveal. This was Dave's method for finding the dot if it isn't in the window on Presentation. Dave likes the word presentation because it may not be just from the draw. It could be from a ready position, or after a reload, or from a downed or compromised position, etc.. Dave mentioned that a common solution for not seeing the dot is to squeeze the pinky to bring the dot down as most of the time if it isn't there it is likely to be high. He doesn't feel this applies all of the time though, so he has a different solution. It is actually quite simple but instead of me explaining it you can see Dave explain it (and me demo it) HERE. After that we went on to many of Dave's drills some of which you can find on YouTube if you are interested. We did his Orange Dot drill, his reset during recovery drill, dot to the edges of the window, 9 in 9 drill. A little side story on the 9 in 9. I have tried it before and found it to be much harder than it looks. When Dave announced it he said there was probably nobody in the class who could do it in 9 seconds. He then looked at me and said, "I bet you think you can?" I replied, nope. I am glad I said nope because although I had the fastest time, it was still 10.33 seconds. After this we did some fun command style drills and then the man vs man drag race. Because I am an idiot sometimes, I was the first person out on the man vs. man. I did not understand the directions and instead of shooting the required 3 rounds, I shot 9, 3 on each of 3 sections. Oh well, stupid is as stupid does. That was pretty much it.

We had a short debrief and were awarded certificates. By 6 pm I was taking my white knuckle 4 hour trip home to Coloma, MI via the Indiana backroads scanning for deer as the combines were chasing them out of the fields all around me. While it was a short class and I was familiar with most of the material I found the day beneficial. I actually am working with Dave's finding the dot solution in dry work extensively and using his orange dot drill every time I go to the range.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I don't personally use a red dot but I also don't imagine so many differences as to warrant a whole class for it.
    I am not in complete disagreement with that. What is a little funny to me is that many instructors are saying what they will need to have soon is irons only classes because the majority of students now come with red dot pistols

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I don't personally use a red dot but I also don't imagine so many differences as to warrant a whole class for it.
    I do. Particularly for students with a long history with irons who are transitioning to a red dot.

Once you've got the basics down, the similarities tend to even out when it comes to defensive drills at least.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I do. Particularly for students with a long history with irons who are transitioning to a red dot.

Once you've got the basics down, the similarities tend to even out when it comes to defensive drills at least.
    I freely admit ignorance and I'm a proponent of training. I certainly wouldn't disparage it. I thought it was interesting that even the instructor didn't initially think it needed its own class.

Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    There is a bit of a transition that has to be made. Tracking the sights in recoil and tracking the dot in recoil do not look alike and that takes some getting used to. Someone like me who shoots looking over the top of the gun (monitoring the "shooting out of the notch" sight picture peripherally) will have a bit of an adjustment to get accustomed to when they now have the front end of the gun partially blocked by the RMR frame.

The first weekend I received my first RMR equipped slide (circa 2010?) I shot a GSSF match. My scores with the iron sighted gun were significantly better than my scores with the dot equipped gun due to me waiting for the dot to "settle down" before I pressed off the next shot. Does the gun work the same? Yes. But what you are seeing (and accepting as good enough to make the hit) is different. A red dot specific class taught be someone who can actually shoot and who can speak to the differences of the two platforms will be of value to folks who don't want to have to try to figure it out on their own.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    There is a big difference and no matter of skill one would benefit from a class with a vetted Instructor if one decides to go with a RDS. There is a huge learning curve. I took the same Dave Spauldings Handgun Combatives MRDS class in April in Miamisberg. It was one of the best classes I have been to. I’d rank Dave up there with if not better than some of the best FLETC instructors I have had or worked with.

I personally am not into red dots either with handguns (rifles I have run them in M4s since 2001) I took this class because I am seeing them show up in classes more and more and wanted to understand it better than struggling trying to learn myself.

Top Bottom