Training Provider: On Target Training
    Course: Handgun (personalized training)
    Date: 12/26/13
    Duration: 3 Hours
    Instructor: Steve Griffin View Profile: Latewatch - INGunOwners
    Students: 3
    Students from the Board: View Profile: Slawburger - INGunOwners

Related Threads

1. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ical-concealed-carry-course-october-21st.html

Overview
    This was not an “off the shelf” standardized training course. They offer standard training courses but this session was personalized to meet the objectives of the students. I wanted to work on some things to get ready for competition shooting. Since my Brother-In-Law and college-aged Nephew were visiting for Christmas I also wanted something we could do together instead of just going to see a movie. My BIL hunts, shoots trap and is very competent with a long gun but is relatively new to handguns. My Nephew has been shooting with his Father and I have taken him to the range a few times but this was a new experience for him.

Details
    We began with introductions, background, objectives and the Four Rules of Firearms Safety ( https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ate-col-jeff-cooper-shooter-trainer-hero.html ). We discussed grip, sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control and drawing from a holster. We loaded magazines in the safe area then moved to the firing line to shoot a few groups. After shooting each group we analyzed the targets and discussed any issues that were apparent. We started with close targets then moved back and shot from a greater distance. We then did a few two-round shots to work on watching the front sight drop back onto the target. Next we worked on moving into the box and shooting or firing moving to another box and firing again. We started with straight forward movement, laterally left to right and then laterally right to left. Each time we did something new the instructor reiterated that we were building on the previous steps and reminded us that we couldn’t forget front sight focus or trigger control just because we were adding movement. We did some magazine changes while shooting at the stationary IPSC targets. We then moved to the steel plates and worked on maintaining front sight focus instead of watching the plate fall until we could go one for one (six shots, six plates). We wrapped up the shooting portion by shooting a few more groups and analyzing them. After the shooting portion (and sprinkled throughout) we discussed competition rules, magazine changes, target scoring, power factors, stages, range commands and how matches were conducted.

Conclusions and Takeaways

I would recommend Steve to anyone seeking a good handgun course or individualized training. Everyone shot better groups at the end of the session than at the beginning of the session. The training covered the things I wanted to work on and moved me closer to my goals for next year. It was a productive (for me) and enjoyable way to spend an afternoon with family. We all learned things and had a lot of fun. As a side benefit my Nephew had a huge grin on his face and I became the “cool Uncle” for at least 24 hours.

Edit: I almost forgot to specifically state it but Steve was a great guy, personable, professional and made learning fun.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom