• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    This was one for the books. We had lots of kids, love the kids.

We saw some serious improvement all weekend, Colin and Landon as first time shooters with their brand new Rossi single shots. Both were barely strong enough to operate the actions but operate them they did, and well. I got a huge kick out of standing behind little Colin and listening to him recite the Safe Rifle rules every time he finished. Both boys went from complete beginners to safely operating their new rifles, big growth. I made them my little sharpshooters and called them Butch and Sundance all day.

Mom and their sister did well also, both learned a lot about how to properly handle their rifle, how to aim, and how to use the sling. I was very sorry to not see them back Sunday. As it turned out the weather was beyond favorable and actually better then Saturday. I hope to see all four of you again.

Christain did a great job with his GSG and that is not a easy rifle to use as a fundamental marksmanship platform, carbines rarely are. But we got a sling on it and he stuck it out doing well by the end of the day Saturday. I think he learned a lot and hope he gets to come back and shoot a full weekend next time. Dad should bring a rifle too.

Caden, he will be a man of few words, but he listened well, never got frustrated, and applied everything we taught him. Even though we needed three rifles to find one that was light enough for him, he stayed with it and went from big groups on Saturday to a great 6 MOA group in KD, and then proceeded to hit the 8 MOA steel... repeatedly! He even did his own IMC and we proved the come ups (sight adjustment) were correct. Looked like Dad had a good time as well, glad Niecie and Auntibellem convinced him to go ahead and shoot Sunday. Dad had no problem hitting the 4 MOA steel either!

Kurt and David, what can I say? You came prepared and experienced, and it showed. What shooting! Dad nailed his AQT with a 240 and David did 248 multiple times. David was a great shooter, but still took instruction, he did not let his ego get in the way. Sure sign of a great Rifleman. I think when he shows up on a High Power firing line there will be some old hands take notice.

But it wasn't all work and no play, we had a fun shoot and pitted the Dads against the sons for the Issac Davis vinyl stickers (thank you Chilidog) and what do you know? The Dads proved to be Dangerous Old Men and edged out the youngsters to win the day! Everyone got to try out AB's AR and it looked like the boys had a few ideas about Christmas afterwards.

We had great shooting, good weather, a fantastic facility (THANK YOU Sand Burr Gun Ranch!) and stirring history. Everyone learned what it means when we say "Heritage", I hope the message went home with the targets. I hope the memory of what those men, women, and even kids, did for us goes home as well.

Thank you everyone, I enjoyed the weekend maybe more than you did.

I love this job.

YHJ

PS. Niecie, how about some pictures?

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    Saturday Pictures

Welcome to Appleseed!
    rocApr01.jpg

Appleseed is a family event.
    rocApr02.jpg

Getting the first course of fire.
    rocApr03.jpg

Where is my group? How big is my group?
    rocApr04.jpg

Let's learn positions.
    rocApr05.jpg

Peep sights are sweet!
    rocApr06.jpg

It's the shooter not the equipment, but good equipment is nice too.
    rocApr07.jpg

YellowHouseJake's little sharpshooters.
    rocApr08.jpg

Auntibellem doing what she does best.
    rocApr09.jpg

First Rifleman!
    rocApr10.jpg

America's future. Sand Burr seems to bring out the youngsters.
    rocApr11.jpg

Sunday's pictures coming right up.

YHJ

Niecie

Plinker
    Sep 27, 2010
    Next to Yellowhouse Jake
    Hello Everyone! What an AWESOME Appleseed Weekend! Inspite of the cold and wind, we had a wonderful shoot! everyone was positive, excited, and fun! Most important - everyone was more than willing to learn about history and marksmanship. Thank you to all our shooters and families for sharing such a terrific weekend with us. I do look forward to seeing everyone again - especially all the young shooters. Wow! I was so impressed by their determination, focus and safety. Congratulations to David on his amazing 248 score, and to Caden for really sticking it out all weekend and improving so much!

Gina, so sorry you did not make it back Sunday, but Butch and Sundance really accomplished alot, as did you and Alanna. Come back soon!

Kurt & Garrett - thank you SO MUCH for bringing your sons. I know you are really proud of their accomplishments.

Now for more pics....

Hi I am Auntie Bellum...sometimes my hat is blue and Rimshot thinks I am "fairly useful" %)
    rocApr19.jpg

Here I am being "fairly useful" giving instruction to Garrett...
    rocApr20.jpg

Fathers and Sons sharing a great day and learning together - it's a beautiful thing ;)
    rocApr17.jpg

rocApr14.jpg

Serious concentration and focus from these outstanding youth shooters!
    rocApr15.jpg

rocApr18.jpg

David getting his Rifleman patch with a 248 score :o
    rocApr26.jpg

Just look at this target!! ..:..
    rocApr22.jpg

Caden getting another memento and a reminder to dry fire and return to another shoot.
    rocApr25.jpg

Garrett and Caden - a very proud Dad and very happy son.
    rocApr24.jpg

Kurt and David - another very proud Dad and very happy son.
    rocApr23.jpg

Getting down to the seriously fun stuff ... IMC, KD, and SHOOTING steel!
    rocApr13.jpg

These "kids" have ideas for Christmas now :) Thank you Auntie Bellum for letting them shoot your AR :bow:
    rocApr12.jpg

rocApr28.jpg

rocApr27.jpg

I am so happy you all had a great time - see you soon!

Niecie

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    248?

:rockwoot:

That looks like a great shoot! I do love seeing families shooting together.

I believe David shot his AQTs as 246, 248, 246, 248. It was not luck by any stretch of the imagination. Did you notice he was using a stock Marlin 60? Fancy scope yes, but a rifle that costs less than what a lot of folks spend accessorizing their 10-22.

We know that scope vs iron sights is not an advantage when you are dealing with 4 MOA, so what does that leave? Skill.

YHJ

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I do not have the words to respond to amazing talent such as that shown by this young man. Well, I do, but not for use on a public board. That is by far the highest score I've ever seen. Very, very well done, young Rifleman. This is testament to good instruction and good practice. Our Founders would be proud of you. I know I am, but you have more reason to be proud of yourself.

Blessings,
    Bill

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    that is the best AQT score I've ever seen!

It was certainly impressive to witness! David had a huge smile on his face all day long - what a great attitude. All of our kids were great this weekend. My favorite picture is the one of Caden with my AR - he was a pro!

Even more impressive, though, was how each and every one of you absorbed the history. I knew they were paying attention and then asked at the end of the day today who their favorite person was in the history we shared - the majority decided Samuel Whittemore was their favorite, but one also said Hezekiah Wyman. Wise choices.

So, you wanna have this much fun? Rochester is having us back August 21-22 and September 24-25. Will we see you there?!

2011 Rochester, IN Appleseed Information - Link will be updated with new dates soon.

DBoller

Plinker
    Apr 7, 2011
    I believe David shot his AQTs as 246, 248, 246, 248. Hey, this is DBoller (David) and I actually shot a 248, 247, 244, and 248 on Sunday, but hey that's close enough. I wish I shot a 246 instead of that 244, but I'm still really happy with it. DBoller

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Hey, this is DBoller (David) and I actually shot a 248, 247, 244, and 248 on Sunday, but hey that's close enough. I wish I shot a 246 instead of that 244, but I'm still really happy with it. DBoller

Nice shootin' there, Rifleman! :yesway:

Top Bottom