• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TFuller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Evansville, IN
    Randy Harris' teaching continues to deliver. We had a focused group of students intent on learning and getting on with business.

We began with the requisite safety discussions and then proceeded to discuss the evolution of vehicle threats, i.e. switching from a carjacking focus to also include the riot scenario.

First actions on the range were dry drills from a folding chair followed up with live fire. We worked shooting from the chair in all positions, much like the CRG drills (sans getting off the X). Many shooters were probably introduced to firing positions they had never experienced, which is where having attended CRG courses will make Vehicle Gunfighting go smoother. We are building on the fundamentals.

The afternoon had us working with a partner from the seated positions. Shooters got to experience both driver and passenger positions while working the around the angles of engagement. As usual we began running these drills dry before switching to live fire.

Now it was time to get customized. We lined up in our vehicles and worked dry presentations to targets placed at multiple angles around our vehicles. This made the student understand what works for their body in their vehicle. I found myself making arrangements to my vehicle to maximize line of sight for various engagement angles.

Our final shooting drill was engaging a single target with live fire from inside our own vehicle. Lots of brass in the defroster vent and elsewhere. No vehicle parts were destroyed, so the dry fire work was worth the effort. The tightest line of engagement for me was shooting through my truck's extended cab passenger rear window.

We ended the class with a discussion on what is cover vs concealment on a vehicle.

Another worthwhile class, even with practice ammo being as tight as it is. We weren't just shooting groups and patting our selves on the back for paper hole-punching. We were getting to experience first-hand what shooting from inside and around our own vehicle will feel like.

Timely and valuable.

TFuller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Evansville, IN
    From our personal vehicle we did driver side only. However, when we did range work from the folding chair with a partner, we shot from both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom