• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    On President's Day, an Abe Lincoln impersonator memorized the Gettysburg Address and attempted to recite it on the steps of Lincoln Memorial. He was stopped short for breaking a handful of Nanny State Federal Laws.

Freedom, baby.

genthumb.ashx

Watch the video interview here:
    Lincoln Impersonator Fined On Presidents Day

Illegal recite Gettysburg Address without permit

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Not having read the article, I am just going to assume he violated the first amendment's freedom of speech? Or the first amendment's right to peaceful assembly?

Oh, I see, you have to pay a tax to be able to use your first amendment rights because Abe Lincoln copyrighted the Gettysburg Address!

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    "I think the officers were doing their jobs, and I think that we broke the law," said Howell.

"I guess in the back of my mind I thought we could make some money. After the first speech, we made about $25. That's a pretty good rate," said Howell.

But it's illegal to solicit money or sell anything on federal property without a vending license. But, Honest Abe says he didn't know.

"I was just naive,"says Howell.

Great thread, the misleading title is right on par for you.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    thats a bunch of BS and if he got fined for that, the the people sitting on the steps should also need a permit for occupying space in a restricted area

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I think he should have been fined for being tacky. Dressing up like Lincoln and reciting a speech to make money on President's Day? Tacky...

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    yea passing around a basket for money i see being a problem, and i cant say that i would dress up as Lincoln and recite the Gettysburg address. something he could have done is move down off the steps but still all he was doing was showing his support

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Thanks Benny. I thought you would like it since you like seeing permit enforcement and useless fines.

Hey, look at that, another LIE! I've never once said I like either one of those things. Show me where I have and I'll call myself a liar.

I just like pointing out your delusive thread titles.

Like you, many members here don't read the articles you post, so I think it's only fair to point out your agenda seeking lies.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    What is the problem with the basket? You don't have to put money in it.

I like how the cops confiscated their money. lmao

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Great thread, the misleading title is right on par for you.

Oh, and +1 on this, I've got some rep for you when I reload. Argue all you want about freedom of speech and requiring permits, but the title says he was fined for reciting the Gettysburg Address, which is CLEARLY not the case. The majority of these threads all have that in common, misleading titles.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    And soliciting money.

right, i covered that when i said "yea passing around a basket for money i see being a problem" no way to get around the fact that handing out a basket for money would require a permit no matter where you are :thumbsup:

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I knew something was up as soon as I read the title. Figured it was a money solicitation thing.

Right or wrong, he broke the law. Stupid law perhaps, but law nonetheless. It's not as if he was simply being robbed of free speech.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I knew something was up as soon as I read the title. Figured it was a money solicitation thing.

Right or wrong, he broke the law. Stupid law perhaps, but law nonetheless. It's not as if he was simply being robbed of free speech.

First he got denied his right to speak on the steps.

The basket incident occurred when he tried his speech again at a different location.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    First he got denied his right to speak on the steps.

The basket incident occurred when he tried his speech again at a different location.
    if you've been to D.C. you know how crazy some of the people who migrate there are :):
    if they allowed speaking on the steps for one then every nut bag in the WORLD would be giving speeches on any given day, and tourist dont wanna hear that crap. not to mention you get the black panthers and the kkk together giving speeches the same day and time and its gonna be unsafe.:draw:
    if you wanna be the next MLK then get a permit and give your speech ;)

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Keep the stories coming Rambone. I for one like the nugets of news that you dredge up. I can make my own mind up as to whether a story has merit or not, but I can't even do that if you don't deliver the news.

Top Bottom