able to own a shotgun but not a handgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    kinda weird story. my brother who I haven't seen in YEARS because of his choice to use drugs and abuse alcohol from his early teens messages me on facebook asking me to go eat dinner with him but and the end of the message he says "whether you go or not let me know if you can get me an M-4 that's not dirty". this set my spidey senses off so I go show my mother who has been trying to get us together for awhile and she tells me he owns a shotgun to which I say I'm not sure he can own any firearms do to his MANY run ins with the police and arrests(not sure if any are felonies) and the fact he is on many anti psychotics for mental issues. she says he can own a shotgun just not any handguns. so my question is are there any laws regarding being able to own certain types of guns but not others? because I would think if he's not allowed to own handguns he would not be allowed to own any other type of gun. thoughts, answers, bacon?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Personally I wouldn't help anyone get a gun (legal or not) when they ask if its "dirty".

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    kinda weird story. my brother who I haven't seen in YEARS because of his choice to use drugs and abuse alcohol from his early teens messages me on facebook asking me to go eat dinner with him but and the end of the message he says "whether you go or not let me know if you can get me an M-4 that's not dirty". this set my spidey senses off so I go show my mother who has been trying to get us together for awhile and she tells me he owns a shotgun to which I say I'm not sure he can own any firearms do to his MANY run ins with the police and arrests(not sure if any are felonies) and the fact he is on many anti psychotics for mental issues. she says he can own a shotgun just not any handguns. so my question is are there any laws regarding being able to own certain types of guns but not others? because I would think if he's not allowed to own handguns he would not be allowed to own any other type of gun. thoughts, answers, bacon?
    A restriction like that would have to be a Court Order.
    Likely stemming from a plea agreement for an offense.
    As far as the letter of the Law goes, you're either a "fit" person to own a firearm, or an "unfit" person. As in a Felon, a mental patient, or a habitual user of illegal drugs.
    P.S.
    I wouldn't get involved with him and a weapon acquisition. :rolleyes:
    Maybe a younger Active Duty Officer will have more information. :dunno:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    she says he can own a shotgun just not any handguns.

This gun myth has me stumped. I have heard it in gun shops, at gun shows and at shooting ranges. "Because of my felony convictions, I can't own me no handgun but I kin own a shotgun." Yeeeeaaaahhhh.:n00b:

I have been unable to trace this one. However, I was told over the weekend that people believe this because long guns are not subject to "registration". I remain perplexed over this gun myth, Tyler.

Anywho, assuming the shotgun is not blackpowder, your mother's statement is incorrect. You cannot be a a convicted felon and be in possession of firearms or ammunition.

Further if your brother is SVF then he cannot possess any firearms, even blackpowder.

If anyone knows where this gun myth originates let me know. It's a hobby of mine.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    for the record I am not helping him an any way to acquire a gun, dirty or not. as far as me and him go he is dead to me and will remain as such for many years to come. so if he is in violation of the law I'm going to see this through with the authorities.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    You need more information. I'm no expert but I have never heard of any laws creating the conditions you describe. However, judges can and do restrict individuals in just about any way they want. These conditions are normally the result of another case and usually conditions that must be met as terms of probation or something similar. Again, I'm no expert but if you're asking these questions you already know that your concerns about helping this person obtain a firearm are warranted.

Or it could be just a simple common case of people having no clue what the actual laws are regarding firearms. I often hear people discussing firearms that have some crazy ideas about gun ownership.

Whatever the case, I'd just trust your instincts. Given the facts you do know about him, just because he may be "legal" doesn't mean helping him obtain a firearm is the right or the smart thing to do. But I know you're smarter than that. :twocents: :yesway:

Last edited:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    This gun myth has me stumped. I have heard it in gun shops, at gun shows and at shooting ranges. "Because of my felony convictions, I can't own me no handgun but I kin own a shotgun." Yeeeeaaaahhhh.:n00b:

If anyone knows where this gun myth originates let me know. It's a hobby of mine.

Didn't come from these guys.....

Boss_Hogg%2Band%2Bthe%2Bdukes%2Bof%2Bhazzard.jpg

They used Compound bows with dynamite arrows. :rockwoot:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I'd go with bacon. It seems like the only safe choice in this situation.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yeah asking if a gun is "dirty" or not is very strange.
    For me a gun is dirty if I haven't cleaned it since the last time I shot it at the range, that's it.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Thats really odd. Moreso because who asks for a non-dirty m4? Handgun I can see, but a m4? Not exactly a lot of crimes committed with one of those bad boys...

Sucks to hear your brother is dead to you. Im sure you have your reasons, and im sure they are valid, but it always sucks to loose contact with your family.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    if he can't pass the checks on a 4473 then he can't own a "modern" firearm, anything made after 1855, I believe is the date, is considered a modern firearm by the atf. Some new black powder stuff falls into that category but they are rare.

revolvers&w

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Albany

I have been unable to trace this one. However, I was told over the weekend that people believe this because long guns are not subject to "registration". I remain perplexed over this gun myth, Tyler.

Anywho, assuming the shotgun is not blackpowder, your mother's statement is incorrect. You cannot be a a convicted felon and be in possession of firearms or ammunition.

Further if your brother is SVF then he cannot possess any firearms, even blackpowder.

I think that is why Bo and Luke Duke used Bow and arrow

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Kirk I have no evidence, but my bet is that it stems from having to have a license to carry a handgun, but not for a rifle. People being turned down for the "handgun" license and then ignorance to believe they can still own a long gun, coupled with the fact that most black powder guns commonly available are rifles used for hunting.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    If you can get one just tell him that he will have to through a FFL for transfer if he says no then bacon is the way to go. I wouldnt ever buy a gun for someone else You have to watch your butt first

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    for the record I am not helping him an any way to acquire a gun, dirty or not. as far as me and him go he is dead to me and will remain as such for many years to come. so if he is in violation of the law I'm going to see this through with the authorities.

You might rethink turning him in. The family discord may not be worth it. And I am not referring to you and your brother but your mother and other family members.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    If you can get one just tell him that he will have to through a FFL for transfer if he says no then bacon is the way to go. I wouldnt ever buy a gun for someone else You have to watch your butt first

This would be the safest answer that I could think of, short of not getting involved in the situation at all. I think from what information the OP has given, staying as far away from it as possible is reasonable. :twocents:

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I work with a guy that can't own handguns. It was part of a plea deal. Doesn't show up anywhere or stop him on they 4473. Guess its just the honor system until someone goes digging.

Top Bottom