• ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Interesting Sagan quote, especially considering how that pompous son of a b*tch set himself up to be a fountain of the very type of authority he is criticizing.

True, yet understanding a fallacy does not preclude one from employing it rather effectively to sway those who don't.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

SwiftStorm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Kokomo
    I agree that it was definitely the wrong way to handle a firearm around others. I do practice and have taught them to my children. Glad to hear salesperson tried to correct the problem.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/teen-accidentally-shot-dead-front-174932767.html

No big deal right? Could've been anybody behind the line.
    Just a chunk of metal.
    Happy 4th at that house I'm sure.:xmad:

Bob

Tragic my thoughts and prayers to the Family.

It was a safe range and as implied by another response its just an inanimate object no more harmful than a baseball bat. Tragic accident but also a blatant act of negligence which the father will have to live with for the rest of his life.

Yeah so I will be old fashioned and review firearm safety over and over again. Stupid me I even have the rules laminated and stuck on the front of my safe.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I am shopping for a new 1911 . so we went to few gun stores today. At one of them this Jack Wagon began pointing a shot gun at people in the store. :xmad:. When he pointed it at my son I let him know how inappropriate and unacceptable his actions were.

My wife thinks I over reacted. When it was all said and done 3 other people walked out of the store.

Are the rules for firearms safety now meaningless?

Rant off

You are 100% correct.... your wife, needs some "re education"

But there are more then 4

The 13 Golden rules for Safe Gun Handling

1. Always treat the gun as loaded.
    2. Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
    3. Always keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
    4. Always keep the gun unloaded until you are ready to use it.
    5. Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy.
    6. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
    7. Learn the mechanical and handling characteristics of the gun you are using.
    8. Always use proper Ammunition.
    9. Be sure the barrel is clear of obstructions before loading and shooting.
    10. If your gun fails to fire when the trigger is pulled, hold your shooting position for several seconds; then with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, carefully unload the gun.
    11. Don't rely on the gun's safety to keep it from firing.
    12. Be aware of your surroundings when handling guns so you don't trip or lose your balance and accidentally point and/or fire the gun at anyone or anything. (fences)
    13. Don't mix Alcohol and firearms.

Now a lot of older posters before the AR used to have another. "Don't modify your firearm". But that might be the only one that I would change to "Don't modify your firearm unless you know exactly what your doing"

Last edited:

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You are 100% correct.... your wife, needs some "re education"

But there are more then 4

The 13 Golden rules for Safe Gun Handling

1. Always treat the gun as loaded.
    2. Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
    3. Always keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
    4. Always keep the gun unloaded until you are ready to use it.
    5. Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy.
    6. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
    7. Learn the mechanical and handling characteristics of the gun you are using.
    8. Always use proper Ammunition.
    9. Be sure the barrel is clear of obstructions before loading and shooting.
    10. If your gun fails to fire when the trigger is pulled, hold your shooting position for several seconds; then with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, carefully unload the gun.
    11. Don't rely on the gun's safety to keep it from firing.
    12. Be aware of your surroundings when handling guns so you don't trip or lose your balance and accidentally point and/or fire the gun at anyone or anything. (fences)
    13. Don't mix Alcohol and firearms.

Now a lot of older posters before the AR used to have another. "Don't modify your firearm". But that might be the only one that I would change to "Don't modify your firearm unless you know exactly what your doing"

I have to object to #4. Do you really expect a criminal to pull up a recliner while you load your gun?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have to object to #4. Do you really expect a criminal to pull up a recliner while you load your gun?
    Agreed to a point, but as a general rule for most firearms and firearm owners #4 still has validity, especially when youngsters or uninitiated have regular access to the premises and there is no safe.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Tragic my thoughts and prayers to the Family.

It was a safe range and as implied by another response its just an inanimate object no more harmful than a baseball bat. Tragic accident but also a blatant act of negligence which the father will have to live with for the rest of his life.

Yeah so I will be old fashioned and review firearm safety over and over again. Stupid me I even have the rules laminated and stuck on the front of my safe.

Us too. and ours is a "kid friendly"* version of the rules on the wall in a frame that also integrates some of the Eddie Eagle rules. (*keep your booger hook off the bang switch, in addition to dont touch, ask an adult, etc)

Agreed to a point, but as a general rule for most firearms and firearm owners #4 still has validity, especially when youngsters or uninitiated have regular access to the premises and there is no safe.

I agree. Except for EDC weapons, They are all stored empty with ammo in a separate ammo locker. And even EDCs, although still loaded, are they themselves locked away inside fast access lockers.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I would've just shot them. If a person points a firearm at you, doesn't that make it justifiable homicide?

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    No, it didn't "trigger" anything. It was a simple question to clarify the implication that blondes and/or females would be less likely to be knowledgeable about firearms and their safety. Why stop there? Why not imply that certain races would be less likely to be knowledgable about guns? It's the same thing.
    All I was doing was describing the young lady in the store. Nothing more or nothing less! If it was a black man, Chinese woman or anything else, I would still use descriptive terms. I apologize if I'm not politically correct for you.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Oh, now it's a law? That's hilarious! :):

I won't bother trying to satisfy or even compete with the common appeal to authority fallacy, but I will offer this quote which probably best sums up the pointlessness of your suggestion on this particular matter:

"Mistrust arguments from authority.'...Too many such arguments have proved too painfully wrong. Authorities must prove their contentions like everybody else."

~Carl Sagan

Thanks for playing. ;)

It's certainly good to see that you are so superior to those who have used and trained others in the use of guns for centuries that you just know that the four rules are archaic.
    You'll be the first person to come to mind if I ever see someone handling a gun unsafely, immediately followed by me putting as much distance as possible between myself (along with anyone accompanying me) and the unsafe person as possible.

Top Bottom