• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have tried to do some looking online and seen everything from "no worries" to "go to the ER".

I checked my blood pressure last thursday and it was 143/105. I thought it was just a fluke. I checked again the next day and it was still about the same but I just figured I have been under a lot of stress and it would calm down. Well I checked it again yesterday and it was still up about the same. My pulse also seems to be staying up around 100 bpm even at rest. My wife has been telling me to call my dr. but I don't want to seem like a spaz if this is something that's not a very big deal.

I have never had a blood pressure problem before. I am 35 and about 70lbs over weight. I have also recently started riding a stationary bike for exercise but have put a hold on that due to heart rate.

Any one else had this issue? Is it a big deal or just wait it out?

cardio1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    South of Paradise
    Call your family doctor for an appt in the am.
    You need to get evaluated and started on medication pronto.
    Lifestyle modification and weight loss may make the need for blood pressure meds much less or perhaps none needed at all; but at this time you need to be evaluated and treatment started.
    If no family doc, go to minute clinic or some such where a NP or PA can see you

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Lifestyle modification and weight loss may make the need for blood pressure meds much less or perhaps none needed at all; but at this time you need to be evaluated and treatment started.

:+1:
    Not emergent, but urgent.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka

^^^^This^^^^

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have tried to do some looking online and seen everything from "no worries" to "go to the ER".

I checked my blood pressure last thursday and it was 143/105. I thought it was just a fluke. I checked again the next day and it was still about the same but I just figured I have been under a lot of stress and it would calm down. Well I checked it again yesterday and it was still up about the same. My pulse also seems to be staying up around 100 bpm even at rest. My wife has been telling me to call my dr. but I don't want to seem like a spaz if this is something that's not a very big deal.

I have never had a blood pressure problem before. I am 35 and about 70lbs over weight. I have also recently started riding a stationary bike for exercise but have put a hold on that due to heart rate.

Any one else had this issue? Is it a big deal or just wait it out?

You defenately need to keep it under control. The problemwith HBP is it might not be a big deal now but 5-10-15 years down the road it can lead to major heart problems/attack etc etc etc. There are a variety of factors in HBP. Your weight could be a major factor but other little things can have an effect as well. Diets with sodium and other contriutors etc. I have even read where sugar and cafine have been traced. Even stress in a few cases/ Sometimes I think the medical field doesn't even know for sure everything that does.

Your genetics/family history can also contribute which we have no control over. Just get into your Dr and see what he recommends. There are a variety of medications that can control it but you have to take it as directed.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Get it checked. Get it under control. And get back on the bike. Take it from someone who knows. It will never be any easier to get that weight off. Best of luck to you!

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    Yep, get to your DR. ASAP. Do yourself the favor, meds, exercise should fix you right up, lots of things happen as we get older. Make the necessary adjustments and get back to having a little fun!

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have been planning on trying to lose the weight. I got the exercise bike because I have two bad knees and cannot jog anymore. Also my eating habits are horrible. My job I drive all over Indy and normally do not have time to take a lunch break. Just habit now to swing through a drive thru and get a couple cheese burgers and some fries. I am also trying to skip breakfast or just eat a muffin and subway for lunch. Not totally healthy but it's a start. I will call my Dr. in the morning. I was hoping it would just go away on it's own but am thinking it may not.

Thanks for the advise.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Just out of curiosity, what did you use to take your BP?

Some electronic cuffs suck, really bad. Also make sure you're using the right size cuff.

My BP was SKY HIGH, I got readings of 180/120+. Then I swallowed my pride and picked up a fat guy cuff. Readings were still high but I didn't have to worry about stroking out.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Thanks for the link MikeDVB. Gave me a couple other things I need to discuss. I also suffer from insomnia, have for many years. Sleeping pills never seem to work so I just run on 4 or 5 hours a night. Also had not thought about the kidneys. I had kidney failure about 8 years ago. I have been in remission since but it is something I need to look at. Good information.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Get to the doctor very soon.
    Don't mess around with this. I would consider getting a referral to a cardiologist actually. Many men screw around when their body is telling them something and end up in a bad place.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Just out of curiosity, what did you use to take your BP?

Some electronic cuffs suck, really bad. Also make sure you're using the right size cuff.

My BP was SKY HIGH, I got readings of 180/120+. Then I swallowed my pride and picked up a fat guy cuff. Readings were still high but I didn't have to worry about stroking out.

First time it was done at the dentists office. They would not do any work on me because they said it was too high.
    I am 70 lbs over weight but I am also 6'5" so my arms are still pretty thin. My wife had mentioned the bigger cuff's but the dentist office, the machine at CVS, and the machine at Wal-mart all said the same thing.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Thanks for the link MikeDVB. Gave me a couple other things I need to discuss. I also suffer from insomnia, have for many years. Sleeping pills never seem to work so I just run on 4 or 5 hours a night. Also had not thought about the kidneys. I had kidney failure about 8 years ago. I have been in remission since but it is something I need to look at. Good information.
    I'm taking lorazepam 1mg to help me sleep and it works like a charm. I take it and within 15 minute I practically pass out.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    First time it was done at the dentists office. They would not do any work on me because they said it was too high.
    I am 70 lbs over weight but I am also 6'5" so my arms are still pretty thin. My wife had mentioned the bigger cuff's but the dentist office, the machine at CVS, and the machine at Wal-mart all said the same thing.

Yeah, it's worth a trip to the doc.
    Do you smoke? If so it's worth looking at quitting.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I have been planning on trying to lose the weight. I got the exercise bike because I have two bad knees and cannot jog anymore. Also my eating habits are horrible. My job I drive all over Indy and normally do not have time to take a lunch break. Just habit now to swing through a drive thru and get a couple cheese burgers and some fries. I am also trying to skip breakfast or just eat a muffin and subway for lunch. Not totally healthy but it's a start. I will call my Dr. in the morning. I was hoping it would just go away on it's own but am thinking it may not.

Thanks for the advise.

Skipping meals is never a good idea and is usually counterproductive. Besides setting yourself up for binge eating later in the day you are also slowing down your metabolism & messing up your blood sugar levels. You should always eat breakfast or have some form of nutrition to start off your day. If nothing else a Special K protein shake is a good place to start.

Top Bottom