• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    It's a great idea. You just screw it into your porch light and hook up your phone to it and it does anything and everything you wanted it to do except work.
    You see it works off of Wi-Fi and that's great! But what they don't tell you is it's 2.4G Wi-Fi, it won't work with 5G Wi-Fi for some reason. So what's a body to do?

Last edited:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    May want to check your router setting. Mind has a 5G and a 2.4G option. My security cams run on the 2.4G

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    May want to check your router setting. Mind has a 5G and a 2.4G option. My security cams run on the 2.4G
    Uuuummmm, 5G is 5th generation cellular networks. 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz are the frequencies home wi-fi operates. Two different animals.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    So does that mean I have to turn my router on 2.4 g and leave it there to get the security camera to work or do I have the option for dual Wi-Fi?

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    So does that mean I have to turn my router on 2.4 g and leave it there to get the security camera to work or do I have the option for dual Wi-Fi?
    When I search for Wifi on my phone or laptop I have the option to choose one or the other.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Uuuummmm, 5G is 5th generation cellular networks. 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz are the frequencies home wi-fi operates. Two different animals.
    You are correct sir. It is Ghz.

The Blink Camera does need Wi-Fi. The camera requires a 2.4 GHz connection to send images and notifications.

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    You have to get in your router settings, if I recall when I upgraded mine I set up a network for 2.4 and another for 5 so they both show up

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    My router is a dual channel 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. Yours may not have that option. It may be able to be configured for 2.4Ghz in the router settings.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    If your router is set to auto, then your cell and laptop will choose a frequency on its own which if close would be 5ghz but if said equipment is far enough away to still get wifi, then the 2.4ghz would be selected. To get around this issue with your camera, you need to split that signal into 2 connections 2.4ghz and a 5ghz. Note..by doing this, your equipment with be on 1 or the other but you can choose which 1. I have actually seen no speed difference between the 2 connections which the 5ghz is supposed to be super fast. I have the 100meg internet speed thru mediacom.
    If anyone ever buys a pellet grill smoker with wifi, you'll have to do the sane thing..

db308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Access the router via a web browser. Chrome, Firefox, etc.
    Router might have a label on it with IP address, username, and password.
    If there is no info/label on the router you'll need to find the gateway address off your network. The gateway address is most likely the router address.
    If using a windows computer you can find the gateway address using the command prompt and the ipconfig or ipconfig /all command.

If there is not a label on the router, and you do not know the username/password, it may still be set at the default. You can find the default credentials for most home routers by searching the web.

Some will set up the 2.4 and 5 ghz networks using an _2.4 or _5 suffix.
    i.e. homewifi_2.4 homewifi_5

If both bands are active and the network name (SSID) is the same for both I would expect the camera or other device to connect to the 2.4 as it doesn't have a 5ghz radio so won't "see" the router's 5ghz signal.

A benefit of having both bands set to the same name is that if the 5ghz is poor, the device should connect to 2.4 without having to manually select the other network.
    2.4 tends to be attenuated a little less by walls, etc as compared to 5ghz.

hope that helps .....

edit to add:
    Windows computers may have a Prefer 5ghz setting in the advanced properties of the network adapter. There may also be a "roaming aggressivness", or similiar, setting in the advanced properties. This will make it or more, or less, agressive in preferring the 5ghz band over the 2.4

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You can also do what I did. Buy a 2nd dumb wireless AP for some gear (ring doorbell) that didnt like my smart band steering APs.

Unless you have a dual radio router, you may have to choose between 2 or 5 ghz.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't know if it's still a problem, but a lot of WiFi setup apps (iRobot, Cameras, Thermostats, smart speakers, etc...) don't understand how to deal with AP/routers that can do 2.4 and 5Ghz on the same SSID. If the phone is connected to the 5Ghz signal the apps would simply say they couldn't use that SSID even though it would work if they actually sent the config to the device being setup.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    If you have mediacom internet and only use their modem with built in wireless, you can call and they will give you the address to get into the wireless part. A wireless wifi/modem box won't always work with a separate router because eventually the modem will kick the router offline. This is because the modem and router are using the same ip address which causes conflicts. I found out the hard way on this.

Top Bottom