• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccrise

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Mishawaka, IN
    I could use a little help. I have been looking at a Kimber 1911 and have some questions. I’m new to firearms so please be easy on me. They seem to use the term “Match Grade” and “Custom” on several of their pistols. What does this really mean? The price ranges are all over the place and I don’t want to go by just price and be sorry I didn’t get the next model up. From what I have been told they are a quality pistol and I couldn’t go wrong with any of them. So what do you all have and what would you change if you were to purchase it again. Thanks.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Match Grade is their top quality. It is often used by people who competitively shoot. Custom, is cheaper, and although it's not Match Grade, it is a Kimber and will still be a pretty awesome gone out of the box. What model of Kimber 1911 are you looking at? The Custom II vs The Gold Match II?

ccrise

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Mishawaka, IN
    I'm not sure yet. I like the looks of a wood grain handle and two tone. Laser sight doesn't impress me. I'm expecting to pay between $1000 and $1400. I figure that should get something nice. I am open to all suggestions. Its hard to find a shop that has a large stock of Kimbers so any help will be appreciated.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I have a Eclipse Pro II that I love. I went to the Kimber site, and put in Mishawaka, and it looks like these three are your three nearest dealers:

Blythe's Sport Shop 2810 North Calmuet, Valparaiso Phone: (219) 476-0026

LaPorte Sporting Goods 816 Lincoln Way, La Porte Phone: (219) 362-3447

Midwest Gun Exchange 3415 Grape Rd, Mishawaka Phone: (574) 257-0020

That's not to say that a different shop might not have one in on trade or consignment, but I would say that those three should have some since they are Kimber "Dealers" and are listed on the Kimber site. Call them up and grope around.:laugh:

Goodluck!

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The Kimber Custom is a great gun and is in the price range you mentioned. I just added a Kimber Raptor Pro II last week. Its very well made. (Pics avail here.)

If you want to see one, Poops... Sorry "Pops" had one in there the end of last week. You could at least get hands on and choose to buy it elsewhere. (Was listed $170 higher than what I paid for it.)

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I'm not sure yet. I like the looks of a wood grain handle and two tone. Laser sight doesn't impress me. I'm expecting to pay between $1000 and $1400. I figure that should get something nice. I am open to all suggestions. Its hard to find a shop that has a large stock of Kimbers so any help will be appreciated.

You should also decide what you are going to use it for before you decide which model to get. If you are gonna carry it, you might look at a different model than you would if you plan to compete or use it as a home defense/range gun.

Don't worry about what the grips are to decide. You can easily replace the grips. I would say in order of importance; 1. determine the function it will have, 2. determine the features you would like 3. decide if it meets your aesthetic preferences/how much it would cost to make it the way you want it after you buy it.

Good Luck!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Excellent choice on Kimber.
    I'm a big fan of the Custom 2. Out of the box the gun is much better than most shooters will ever be able to shoot.
    Price is excellent on the quality of gun you get for the $$.
    I think you'll pick one up and you'll know the instant it's in your hand that it's the one you want.
    It'll be like magic.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    halfmileharry;2149568 I think you'll pick one up and you'll know the instant it's in your hand that it's the one you want. It'll be like magic.[/QUOTE said:
    You'll have a moment similar to this:
    harry-potter.jpg

:rockwoot::rockwoot:

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    If it's your first 1911 (for now anyway :D trust me) I would go with the Custom II, shoot it for a while and get a first hand idea of what, if anything, you want to change. That's the beauty of a 1911, there's nothing about it that you cant upgrade later. I have a Custom II and an Ultra Carry II that have both been very good guns. Be carefull, 1911s are habbit forming......:rolleyes:

ccrise

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Mishawaka, IN
    I was considering the "Super Carry Custom". I will be using it for range shooting and for personal protection/carry. I like the fact the major parts are Stainless steel. Should I be looking at something else that would be better? I currently shoot an H&k P30 and a Para Warthog. Both are very good pistols. I like the feel of a full size 1911 which is the reason for the Kimber.

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    Go to the grape road store of midwest gun exchange and ask for Bruce. He is a heck of a nice guy with a ton of knowledge and will be very helpful to you.
    My wife got her Kimber custom target II at 21st century in Bluffton and they usually have a few Kimbers but the would be a haul for you.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I have a Kimber Crimson Carry 5in....its the most beautiful, well fuctioning 1911 for the money. I do not recommend 1911s in the "sub compact" 3in barrels....the 1911 was designed to function in a full size barrel....I have had nothing but issues with the smaller sizes.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Just to point out, if you did not already know, "custom" as in Super Carry Custom, is the barrel length. The "Custom" length is the full-size 5-1/2" barrel. Then they have the Pro which is the equivalent of a commander length (4-1/2") and the Ultra 3".

I have a Super Carry Pro and absolutely love it!

Super Carry guns also go through the Kimber Custom Shop...just to confuse the custom name more...

Mark

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I had a Kimber pro carry II with the Crimson laser, super nice piece, i should have never traded it, i just didn't want to get hooked on the whole 1911 thing. I noticed almost everyone that had a 1911 had more than one, and i didn't want to end up like that, well didn't work, i have 5- 1911's now and will probably add more in the future.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I'd second mshogren's Super Carry recommendation. I've fondled a lot of Kimbers, and I think the Super Carry is my favorite. Me, I'd go for the Super Carry HD because I prefer black and don't mind the extra weight, but I'm a freak like that.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    I have one Custom II and love it, I will not hesitate to buy another in 3" and 4"

For Carry, I would get the lightest one I can find for me, I think it is the Aegis aluminum frame.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I purchased a Kimber Custom 2 TLE, love it and will never part with it. Got it for unker $1k at Elmore's. I see that you are up north so coming down here to south Indy is not really an option, but I'd say shop around and see what you can find as far as price. You will not be disappointed with a Custom 2!

Top Bottom