About to take the plunge.... Any last words?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    So, I've done some preliminary research here on INGO and on Sniper's Hide, as well as some Youtube'n. and realize that I need to read more. So I'm going to head to the library and get the recommended books and start reading.

I have someone that is willing to give me a hand (thanks to that fellow ingo'er) and give me some basic instruction.

I'm pretty certain I am going to purchase the Lee turret system from Kempf. I may end up driving up there and get it.

I do have a budget and while I would like to be able to get a higher end system, I think that may be getting in over my head. I figure right now, 200 rds an hour is way more than I was thinking for output anyhow.

Given that, I plan on reloading .308 first, then moving on to .223 (5.56) and then maybe to .40 at some point in the distant future but right now, .308 is my priority. Anyhow, is there anything else I need to be looking at outside of the Lee kit from Kempf? I plan on getting the $13 upgrade. I also noticed on Midway that a book is included in their kit called "Modern Reloading" By Richard Lee. Does the Kempf kit include that?

Thanks,

-JD-

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Case gauge works too. I reload .40 with a friends lee turret and a case gauge is good to have to make sure the round will fit in the barrel of your gun when you shoot it.

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    I started with the RCBS rock chucker kit, Midway USA list it as 320 bucks, its a very nice kit take a look at it.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    1. Read a reloading manual before you even begin. 2. Study load data before you even begin. Most companies have published data online as well. Read all the instructions for your dies, etc. Make sure everything is set up correctly. If something does not seem right, stop, check, and ask questions if need be. 3. Take your time and do not rush. Things will speed up as you progress. 4. Above all, have fun with it.

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    I ordered the lee classic turret kit (with upgrade) from kemp and was very pleased. Mine came with the lee reload book.

Make sure you know and understand the entire process including how the press works and how/why the dies work before you try to actualy reload. Read your books several times.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I think your choice is a good starter kit. If you need help figuring out the scale, let me know and I will show you. A little mica will get the powder measure working right from the beginning. I have some.

You are buying FL sizing dies? Please say yes.

I will be around late afternoon tomorrow if you want to preview some of the things you will be purchasing.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Are you saying you will eventually purchase reloading dies?

For your stated purpose, my advice would be to buy the Rockchucker kit and then the Lee Classic Turret press, by itself. That will give you the best of both worlds.

Are you loading 308 for precision bolt-action loads or semi-auto fun loads? Precision semi-auto loads? :) I'm old-school and prefer the simplicity (read "fool-proof") of a single-stage press, especially for beginners. I also like the better quality you'll find in most of the RCBS reloading kit, particularly the scale. For a trimmer, the Lee case length gauge/trimmer can't be beat.

Good luck and be sure to share with us the stuff you picked up. :)

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, I'm getting dies, but was planning on the Lee dies. I'm thinking the Lee classic press is prety much everything I'm going to need. I'd like that rocker primer loader, or whatever it is called. It doesn't look like the RCBS press rotates the dies. Looks like you have to change out each die by hand. Is that the case, (no pun intended)

Lol, I've been married for 10 years and she's just now getting into shooting WITH me..... I got her, her own .308, so that is why I want to reload.

Yes, the idea is for precision reloads. First is .308, then 5.56 and then .40 just to save money.

-JD-

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I don't think the advantages of a quality powder measure and quality dies could ever be over stated. I use a redding 3 powder measure, and it throws any spherical powder to within 0.1gr even with being bumped around being mounted to a turret. Best investment so far... The lee "auto-index" both pro and regular worked for me but they were very inconsistent in charge weights, sometimes as much as 1gr or more.

After years of fiddling with lee stuff, about the only thing I actively still use is lee's FCD dies, which I generally refinish and polish the internals on, trying to keep them from rusting up like the other lee dies.

For a turret press, the lee one is alright, that's what I ran for years until I got tired of having a sore back and shoulders. I went for a lyman t-mag 2 and have been totally happy with it. Not sure if I really care for the priming system, I opted to get a RCBS handprimer after all the hassles I have had with press based primers.

Becoming a big fan of redding dies, but RCBS ones are great. I think redding dies are a bit more on the industrial and high volume side of things and RCBS are a little more nifty in their design. After using lee, if you try either of those brands you'll be shocked by what you were missing.

I just got done loading up that jar of 45acp swcs tonight after work.

a7Cig.jpg

Lupin3rd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think you'll enjoy your Lee Turret. I know I do. I wish I had a progressive but I'm glad I started with a turret because they're [progressives] a little overwhelming for a beginner. A couple people I know started with progressives and they seem to always be "just a few parts away" from cranking out their first round. In short, turrets are more efficient than single stage, less complicated and cheaper than progressives, and not very susceptible to human error (2 years running and not a squib or double to speak of!)

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Well, with the help of a fellow ingo'er I was able to get my new Lee Turret going tonight. I did roughly 50 rounds and had 5 rounds and 1 bullet mistake. Some of the errors were creases in the neck, and one was my fault because I didn't prime the case before I dropped the load and pressed in the bullet.

Its 3:30 am and I'm thinking of going back down to the garage to crank out some more rounds. I don't have my calipers yet so I have to wait to verify about 15 rounds as they were not the exact same over all height as the first rounds we did that were measured with the caliper.

I had a bullet get stuck in the top of the bullet press die... and I had to pull it out and reset the height and I used another bullet to compare.

Before I load the rounds into my rifle, I'll be sure to verify the OAL.

I still need a few more parts to complete my kit. Calipers, Case trimmer, case brushes and one more thing that is escaping my mind at the moment.

-JD-

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Sounds like you're making good progress, but until you get the calipers, don't load up any more rounds. You will run the risk of having to pull the bullets and start over, which is not fun! :)

You got a bullet got stuck in the seating die? That's a little odd. What cartridge are you loading for, again?

Top Bottom