• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    I don't want to get into too much detail of my self defense of my home, but for you of those that have a quick access safe in your night stand etc... How do you feel accessing the safe and drawing with your weak hand? I ask this beacause the side I sleep on the side that requires me to use my weak hand. I have practiced and still actively practice using my weak hand. I feel extremely confident, but what are your experiences?

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    I feel you shouldn't be drawing while still laying down. Sit your butt up and use the "strongside"

In all honesty even still sitting up I still feel more comfortable drawing with my weak hand because of how the gun lays in the safe.

Just to make clear I am comfortable drawing and shooting with both hands.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I don't want to get into too much detail of my self defense of my home, but for you of those that have a quick access safe in your night stand etc... How do you feel accessing the safe and drawing with your weak hand? I ask this beacause the side I sleep on the side that requires me to use my weak hand. I have practiced and still actively practice using my weak hand. I feel extremely confident, but what are your experiences?

Ever thought about getting the box spring holster holder that the NRA sells, so that you can just draw your gun while in bed? I am seriously looking into getting one.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Why not take it out of the safe when you go to bed? I keep mine in a shoulder holster slung over the headboard when I'm in bed and on my person or in the safe when I'm not.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I keep my safe on my dresser which is next to the bed. I open the safe when I go to bed and close in the morning. Basically I would have to stand up and my gun is just a couple feet away.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    If you do not have children there is zero reason why you should have to fumble around in the middle of the night to get to you firearm.

I have a 16 month old and my firearm is either on my side or in the drawer next to my bed, and it is only in the drawer while he is sleeping.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If you do not have children there is zero reason why you should have to fumble around in the middle of the night to get to you firearm.

I have a 16 month old and my firearm is either on my side or in the drawer next to my bed, and it is only in the drawer while he is sleeping.

That will change the first time first time you wake up and he is looking at you. The drawer is OK as long as 1) it is up high and 2) you don't get in the habit of leaving the gun there. A fast access safe is easy to open. I open mine after the kids are in bed and lay my keys, light and wallet on the door. Next morning I grab my stuff and close the door.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    That will change the first time first time you wake up and he is looking at you. The drawer is OK as long as 1) it is up high and 2) you don't get in the habit of leaving the gun there. A fast access safe is easy to open. I open mine after the kids are in bed and lay my keys, light and wallet on the door. Next morning I grab my stuff and close the door.

Ya I have thought about him comin in the room and waking me up, since its in the drawer that is 6 inches from my head I think I would know if he is opening it. But we will see if I change my mind as time goes on.
    I do not leave the gun there when I am not sleeping, it is on my side once I am awake.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Always a fine line between accessibility and security. Those darn kids never cease to amaze me how they can get into things. Learned the hard way.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I have a dog so there is a fair chance I would have some warning ahead of trouble, but like you "my" side of the bed makes it awkward to draw from the box with my strong hand without getting out.

I do practice with both hands, strong hand and weak hand just in case I need to defend myself any any of those modes.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    The pistol is holstered between the boxspring and sideboard. Semi-auto 12 ga with weapon light only a few steps away but hidden. I'll go for the shotgun if I can, but the pistol is within reach. But I don't have any kids in the house, just my wife and I.

Top Bottom