• ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Man Shot At Denver Gun Show - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver

ADAMS COUNTY, Colo. -- One person was shot in the chest Saturday afternoon at the Tanner Gun Show in what witnesses are calling an accidental shooting.The Adams County Sheriff Office confirmed the shooting at the gun show being held at the Denver Merchandise Mart on Interstate 25 and 58th Avenue. The man was rushed to Denver Health for treatment. His condition is not known. Witnesses told 7NEWS that the man was unconscious after being shot.

Witnesses said the man picked up a gun from a vendor’s table and it went off. "He picked up a gun and it was loaded and he shot the guy next to him," said Mark Cameron."I started hearing, 'Oh my god, he got shot. He got shot in the chest,' " gun enthusiast Ken Gibson told 7NEWS. "It was just a dumb accident," Cameron said.

Authorities said they are still investigating and trying to determine what actually happened. The Adams County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Candi Baker said it is illegal to have a loaded gun at a gun show. The Tanner Gun Show states on its Web site that all guns brought into the gun show must be unloaded, including concealed weapons. All guns must be shown at the door and tied with a safety on the trigger.

Witnesses we talked to blamed the dealer, who they said should never have had a loaded gun on display. Other’s said the customer simply should have known better."Any gun you pick up off a table, you automatically assume its loaded," Cameron said. "It’s not a toy. It’s a gun."

Last September, a vendor at a gun show in Loveland accidentally shot himself in the leg while showing a firearm.

Illegal? Really?

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Wow. For that to happen I assume that every single firearm safety rule would have to be violated, most of them several times. I wonder if this happened at the beginning middle or end? If the gun had already been handled for a while, I wonder if someone "slipped" a round into it.

Honestly I'm not sure if it is illegal or not, with the hodgepodge of state laws.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Quite a few people had to violate most if not all the rules for this NEGLIGENT discharge to happen. Nothing accidental about it

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Was at the Holt Road Show back in the 90's and heard/saw (after it went off) Bob the owner of PSS, shoot one into the ceiling of the big room, man you could have heard a pin drop, right after! Immediatly started looking for my teenage son, (he was OK) and the ceiling tile chips were raining down, the look on Cheeks face was a Kodak Moment.............dang scary thats for sure.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Wow...nothing accidental about that! If you don't know how to check a firearm for ammo...or didn't do it yourself...you're stupid!!!

Rule #1...unless you just unloaded a weapon yourself, always assume it's loaded and ready to be fired.

Rule #2...A.L.W.A.Y.S. check a weapon for loaded/unloaded status yourself, don't ever rely on the 'other guy' to have done it for you!

This is a story about someone having a major 'dumbass attack' and making a major mistake in public!

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    That is horrible! How does a loaded gun even get on the table?
    Why didn't the guy picking the gun up do it in a proper way?

How did the gun get loaded? WOW!
    This is crazy

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    loaded

I have been at several shows that had discharges, and 2 of the 3 I have been at over the years, it has been the dealers personal carry gun that was loaded in his briefcase and handed to a customer. I know some guys think the no loaded guns does not apply to them.
    I read a story years ago that said that a rabid anti-gunner was at a show and was caught slipping loaded rounds into guns here and there.
    I forget the details, and it might just be a urban legend type story, but there is always a possibility of some nut doing just that anywhere...
    That being said, I was at a small estate auction once, they had about 20 guns of different types, when I was looking at a M1 carbine, I cleared it and a cartridge popped out... after cleaning my pants we looked and every one of the guns for sale was loaded! even the 3 muzzleloaders were loaded! The auctioneer removed all the magazines but failed to clear them before they went out on the table.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Heres the problem that I saw this weekend while I was fingering guns at the 1500.

On the 1911's that I was looking at I wanted to pull the trigger to see how they feel.

half of the guns were tied so I could not check the chamber to see if they were loaded before I pulled the trigger.

Most vendors would cut the strap with no questions asked, others would huff and puff about it.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Quite a few people had to violate most if not all the rules for this NEGLIGENT discharge to happen. Nothing accidental about it

Person writing the article must of been old.

20 years ago everything was accidental, now with the lawyers they have changed us into saying Negligent.

ReadnFool

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Sheridan, IN
    Let's not forget that not everybody is properly trained and adequately knowledgable about guns and gun safety. This guy COULD have been completely green and window shopping for his starter gun. I personally grew up in a house / school / social environment where I learned nothing about guns. I had to pick up my information and skills as an adult on my own and I will be the first to admit that I cringe when I think back to some of the stupid things I did getting started.

On the other hand the dealer is in a deep hole. He definitely should have known better.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009

Person writing the article must of been old.

20 years ago everything was accidental, now with the lawyers they have changed us into saying Negligent.

Ah, no. FPD nailed it.

Jeff Cooper's Rules of Gun Safety

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

Lawyers or not, calling it "accidental" implies some element of chance. The handler may not have intended to fire a round, but he is responsible for it regardless of his intentions. The accurate term "negligent discharge" places the responsibility where it belongs.

ETA: I wouldn't put it past some anti-gun commie lib activist to pull a stunt like dropping rounds into chambers when nobody is looking. All the more reason to follow Coopers rules.

Last edited:

superstorm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 19, 2009
    SW Fort Wayne
    I agree that the Libs are eating this up this is fuel for them to try to stop the sales of guns shows.They will try everything they can to do away with guns shows.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Ah, no. FPD nailed it.

Jeff Cooper's Rules of Gun Safety

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

Lawyers or not, calling it "accidental" implies some element of chance. The handler may not have intended to fire a round, but he is responsible for it regardless of his intentions. The accurate term "negligent discharge" places the responsibility where it belongs.

Sorry but negligent is a lawyer term and is used to asses blame.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    My instructor told me a story one time about a guy who had a table set up next to him at a gun show. He asked the next door dealer to look at a gun he had on display. The guy handed him the pistol barrel forward to start with and a closed slide.

The instructor did what he tells us to do: Remove the magazine, rack the slide three times, and check the barrel with your pinky finger. Guess what he found? Yep, a loaded firearm with the safety off! :nuts:

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Sorry but negligent is a lawyer term and is used to asses blame.

No need to say you're sorry. I'm sure anyone involved in that incident is sorry enough as it is. It has been my experience that some folks will use any excuse to continue using inaccurate terminology as well as trying to justify sloppy gun handling.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Wow...nothing accidental about that! If you don't know how to check a firearm for ammo...or didn't do it yourself...you're stupid!!!

Rule #1...unless you just unloaded a weapon yourself, always assume it's loaded and ready to be fired.

Rule #2...A.L.W.A.Y.S. check a weapon for loaded/unloaded status yourself, don't ever rely on the 'other guy' to have done it for you!

This is a story about someone having a major 'dumbass attack' and making a major mistake in public!
    I ALWAYS say, ALL GUNS are ALWAYS loaded... if this person, followed that rule, this would not have happened... There is someone on this site, that hates that saying, but it would have worked here !!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom