• Ever had an accidental or negligent discharge

• Total voters

versuchstier147

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Indiana
    Several years ago on a military range firing an M9 Beretta. Finished the table with extra rounds. Not familiar enough with the weapon at the time, so I had a brain fart and forgot it had a decocker. Tried to lower the hammer manually, pulled trigger to release hammer, and BANG! Dirt flies 5ft in front of me. The gun was pointed downrange at the time so no one got hurt.

My opinion of the 4 rules is that they are very forgiving. Generally, if you slip and miss one of them, no one will get hurt. For example, if you put your finger on the trigger, or assume its not loaded, but keep it pointed in a safe direction, no one gets hurt. In other words, you have to make several mistakes at the same time before someone gets hurt. :twocents:

I've always been scared of blowing my thumb off doing that. What happened when you did it?

Raoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    I've always been scared of blowing my thumb off doing that. What happened when you did it?

Didn't hurt the thumbs any. I didn't have a solid grip on it like I would if I were preparing to fire, so it almost jumped out of my hands. After the fact it was embarrassing more than anything. I was a 1LT and a platoon leader at the time, and all the NCOs acting as range safeties just kind of looked at me like they were thinking "You know your a dumbass, right?" but no one said a word.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Never had one, but I've been told guns are just like bikes. There are only two kinds...the ones that have gone down - and the ones that will.

henry0reilly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Montgomery County
    both mechanical and negligent

My first firearm was a Winchester 121Y. I took the bolt out to clean it and got the extractor clips reversed when putting it back in. Next time I loaded it, it fired when I closed the bolt. I was very startled, to say the least. Being careful to point it in a safe direction, I loaded it again, and again, it fired as the bolt closed.

I also had a negligent discharge with a Mossberg 410 bolt action. I had wounded a rabbit and rather than shooting it again, I tried to hit it with the butt of the gun. I missed and when the gun hit the ground it went off with the muzzle very near my ear.

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    No for me personally....but I also have worked in my career with three other police officers who have had it happen. And mind you...these were TOP NOTCH police officers...cream of the crop! One of those put a round in his leg. It DOES happen...even to the best of them (us) to be sure! No matter the experience, or the amount of years working with and around firearms...one can NEVER be too careful!

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    No, but i did drop my pistol once(ruger P95) thankfully it has several safeties and didn't go off. I try real hard to be careful and accidents do happen, but i felf awful. Thank goodness nothing happened!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I don't really feel that there is such a thing as an accidental discharge. Negligence all the way

There is a distinction.

Negligence implies a breach of duty. Sometimes you can do everything right and the weapon will fire when you do not want it to fire (i.e., your finger off the trigger).

Mine was with a Remington 870. One handed reloading drills, I loaded round and closed action with left hand (right hand hanging at my side), the weapon discharged upon loading. I have a witness that my finger was not on the trigger.

Everytime, every single time you load or unload the weapon may discharge. This is why "just unload/load in the parking lot" makes me weak in the knees at ranges or gun stores.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    When I was young, maybe 8 or 9, I sort of had an ND while squirrel hunting with a 22. The spring that held the safety in its detent was missing and when you'd point the muzzle down the lever would fall into the fire position.

So at some point I did that and then later pulled the trigger without meaning to. I wasn't allowed to carry a chambered round but my father heard the click. Tried to argue my case but ended up losing my hunting privileges for a while. Later I came to believe that was set that up as a lesson.

rushca01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    I was at the range this past summer with a guy and he was clearing a malfunction with his AK. Well his booger hook slipped and hit the trigger as he chambered another round. Luckily the weapon was pointed down range and nothing serious happened other than a little damaged pride. The guys that were there next to us didn't even notice.

mcshaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Damn need to change my vote.

Pressed No then remembered AD using neighbors .22 pistol at range. The weapon fired as I racked the slide. The gun was pointed downrange in safe direction. Scared me. Happened again and I just quit shooting it, didn't feel safe.

I consider it negligent on neighbors part really. He was kind of an idiot anyway. He said something about spring being backwards later. I never took him with me again.

But I suppose this is a clear case of Accidental Discharge.:dunno:

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I guess this was already necroposted so I'm not the one necroposting. :):

My opinion of the 4 rules is that they are very forgiving. Generally, if you slip and miss one of them, no one will get hurt. For example, if you put your finger on the trigger, or assume its not loaded, but keep it pointed in a safe direction, no one gets hurt. In other words, you have to make several mistakes at the same time before someone gets hurt. :twocents:

This is exactly why there is excessive redundancy in the 4 major rules of gun safety. Aside from the one story of the guy almost shooting his GF in the foot, the stories here all had a "better than it could have been" outcome because of the redundancy in the rules. For most N/ADs in this thread, obviously a couple rules were ignored - always assuming and checking if a firearm is loaded, as well as keeping one's finger off the trigger until ready to fire. However the general safe direction of the muzzle prevented a loss of life.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I had as safe as a AD as you can have (if there is one) I was firing a rem700 on a cold day checking sight in, I fired once and was looking through the scope while I worked the bolt, the loose fingers my glove hit the trigger as I closed the bolt,

really scared me, has stayed with me ever since, Hopefully that was the scare that keeps me safe the rest of this life

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    Myself no, but not long ago near here some guys I know were "racing" to field strip their guns and one of the guys shot through his hand and into his buddies ankle. Just goes to say always clear the chamber!!!!!!! And then check again to make sure the chamber is clear.

Top Bottom