• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You mean a ND? It wasn't an accident, it was negligent.

You are correct. I made the change to ND.

Quote from Booey50:
    so you don't carry your glock with a round in the chamber???
    Glorified paperweight to me... there is an easy way to check just pull back on the slide a little bit and you will be able to see the casing as the extractor grabs it

I don't carry my Glock 17 as a CCDW

As some one said, Brain Farts are not good sometime.

Safe shooting,
    Vv

Last edited:

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    +1 to the OP for reminding us that it can happen to anyone. Thanks for posting your story. It's hard to admit publicly that you had an ND, but hopefully this story will remind us all to check our chambers. Repped for a good reminder.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Last year I shot my refrigerator with a pf9. If you own guns you will eventually have an AD, be glad no one was hurt, replace the window glass and screen and go on with your lif a bit more cautious.

Good luck and God Bless

red68ss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    If there is a question that it is loaded, drop the mag, rack the slide several times then lock to the rear. Then visually and physically check the chamber. Can't go wrong with that. Sure beats pointing it at the window and hoping for the best!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Last year I shot my refrigerator with a pf9. If you own guns you will eventually have an AD, be glad no one was hurt, replace the window glass and screen and go on with your lif a bit more cautious.

Good luck and God Bless

So the risk of having a ND (not an AD in this case) comes with gun ownership and there is not much we can do about it? :dunno:

Many gun owners have spent their entire life around guns and never had any ND.
    Anytime you hear about a ND it's always because someone broke one or more of the four golden rules of gun safety.
    Follow those simple rules all the time and you will never have any ND.

In that case the OP broke rule 1 (he assumed gun was not loaded) and 4 (used a window as a "safe direction").

4rules.jpg

I have yet to see any case of ND where the shooter followed all of those rules.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Every gun is loaded all the time

I dont know why it's so hard to understand.
    All the rules are very simple, even a child can understand them.
    I dont want to be hard on the OP, but even I knew his gun was loaded by the simple fact that it's a gun.

I thank the OP for posting his story in here.
    Hopefully he will learn from his mistakes and maybe prevent other members from having the same thing happening to them. :yesway:

motivator9924694.jpg

WOLFEMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    LAFAYETTE
    I've never worried about keeping a round chambered in any of
    my Glocks. But I have witnessed a friend of mine load a round
    into the chamber of a Glock 23 and then drop the slide resulting
    in the round going off. Thank goodness the pistol was pointed in
    the down safe position and no one was hurt. I always feed the first
    round off a full mag and then reload the mag.

:ingo::patriot:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    But I have witnessed a friend of mine load a round
    into the chamber of a Glock 23 and then drop the slide resulting
    in the round going off.

Oh, no, Wolf, now you have done it. INGO does not believe this happens, even when I post stories about it.:D

VN, glad you are OK. Do you have a sand barrel yet?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Oh, no, Wolf, now you have done it. INGO does not believe this happens, even when I post stories about it.:D

VN, glad you are OK. Do you have a sand barrel yet?

:D

I did mention sand barrels even though I knew you would still do it Kirk. :yesway:

A window is not a safe direction to pull the trigger of your gun. :n00b:

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Q for the OP. I have 3 Glocks, all have the loaded chamber indicator. Not the easiest to see but easy to feel with your finger. Also a close visual inspection will show the brass visible in the chamber. Yours not the same?

Newg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Westside of Indy.
    I always do a press check when I grab one of my guns. Before I ever press the trigger on a gun I believe has been unloaded; I check to ensure the mag is out, rack, rack, rack, point it in a safe direction, and press the trigger.

I find it ironic that the thing the OP did to make himself feel comfortable (not keeping his Glock in condition 1), helped lead to him pressing the trigger on his gun without checking its condition. Looks like he felt comfortable pressing the trigger on his Glock without checking its condition because he "knew" he never kept his Glocks in condition 1.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Q for the OP. I have 3 Glocks, all have the loaded chamber indicator. Not the easiest to see but easy to feel with your finger. Also a close visual inspection will show the brass visible in the chamber. Yours not the same?

Yes mine is the same, but stupid is as stupid does. Today I was stupid. Even though I never keep around in a Glock chamber, today mine had one. Who put it there, well it had to be me. No one else has access to my firearms. That is the only reason I have ro failure to triple check my firearm.

To those who have been shooting for 20 years without a ND, I must tell you there is a time for everything if not carefull 100% of the time, so you may just have one too 20 years from now. I am a combat veteran and have been shooting for over 40 years and today was my first.

I started this thread to remind those that may need a reminder now and then. Maybe some of you have been lucky so far, I don't know but you do. I am glad to see this is creating discussion about firearm safety.

I saw the Poll on NDs. The results are about what I would expect them to be. I also viewed the video and yes, it is a good one to watch. It told stories of people who just did stupid things. They failed to think as I did today. Fortunately for me my pride and my window are the only casualties. I had a very strong reminder of the four basic rules of firearm safety.

Thank you all for your help, recommendations and comfort. I know you all mean well and your comments are to help, not only me, but us all.

Safe shooting,
    Vv

Top Bottom