• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spray73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    In general does anyone else have this issue while carrying (owb & iwb)?? I'm experiencing it all too often with my M&P C, left handed iwb in a Vanguard II. But recently it has found a way to release while sitting in my gym bag.. This is potentially a serious issue and I'd like to make it known and see if anyone else has had this come up??

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    I have with several pistols, but have zero experience with the Smith. In a couple of cases, subtly changing the way I carry (shifting holster/changing holster) eliminated the problem. With another pistol, I shaved down the mag release button a bit. You may also have a weak or broken spring in there.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've had it happen with my SR9, in a Remora OWB holster, but since I switched to a Bianchi carry-loc, it hasn't happened. If it did it while it was in a gym bag, though, I'd think that's an issue with the firearm itself.

spray73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've tried numerous carry positions but at some point it seems to get pressed and if it weren't for carrying it canted I'd have dropped or lost the mag in public.. Frankly I'd LOVE to avoid that situation. . A weak spring coild very well be my issue as it doesn't take much pressure to release..

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have a 9c and have never had this issue. What I do notice is that when inserting a full mag with the slide closed, I really have the slam the mag home or it will not fully seat. I mean REALLY smack it up in there.

spray73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have a 9c and have never had this issue. What I do notice is that when inserting a full mag with the slide closed, I really have the slam the mag home or it will not fully seat. I mean REALLY smack it up in there.

I've had that issue since day 1 as well.. But, if you remove a round it will seat with very little effort.

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    With your 9c have you reversed the mag release? I know I'm a lefty and I tried it setup reversed, or normal for lefty users, and I seemed to bump it that way. Moved it back to the right handed position and never had the issue. I guess I'm used to them being on the wrong side so moving it over messed me up.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    My 9c mag release holds up very well in both OWB and IWB situations. I'd start by looking to see if your body is putting direct pressure on the mag release. Perhaps a hip bone is hitting just the right spot. Are you wearing your EDC before placing it into your gym bag? If not, take a good look at the spring inside your grip.

I had a problem like this with a crossbreed supertuck. I had to rub a dimple into the holster where the mag release sat to relieve the pressure the leather was putting on it.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Wolff Springs have extra-power mag release springs for a lot of the firearms mentioned here.

For my 1911, I bought a mag catch that had to be fitted, then fitted it tightly. I also used the extra power mag release spring. No more problems, and I do carry it on my left side. The button is exposed.

Josh

spray73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm using varied positions and cants to help identify my issue. Originally it was my hip bone causing the problem, but I'm still having issues. My next option is to reverse the release button and learn to use it on the opposite side but I'm leary as it is then exposed to pressure from anything I sit against.. If nothing else I'll run it into Elmore's and compare mine to others and go from there. Hate to have to rid myself of the pistol as I'm quite fond of it.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Could it by any chance be caused when you are in your vehicle with the seatbelt buckled? That was one instance that caused the mag to release in my SR9. Apparently, the holster being between the mag release and seatbelt buckle, was enough to do it.

spray73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Could it by any chance be caused when you are in your vehicle with the seatbelt buckled? That was one instance that caused the mag to release in my SR9. Apparently, the holster being between the mag release and seatbelt buckle, was enough to do it.

I'm left handed.. But, the issue is prevalent when I'm in and out of the vehicle.

Top Bottom