• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stchas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Terrible Haute
    So I was doing some hedge trimming and what not when I accidentally cut the yellow coaxial cable that runs from my Dish to the outside connection and obviously have no signal. Anyone know anything about these? Is this something I can fix myself to skip the hassle of calling and waiting on Dish to come out or am I going to have to setup an appointment?

Thanks.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    First things first. Unplug the box! there is voltage that travels down the cable. Leave it unplugged. You can probably splice the cable with a barrel connector & 2 cable ends. You just need to know the size of the cable so you get the right connectors. It's probably RGU-6 Then you'll need the tool to put the connectors on. Then the stuff to weather proof the connection. If you were close I could help you out.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    You've done the intelligent thing already. Why would you pay someone to pump stupidity into your home?
    Obviously you still have internet access. That should be enough stupidity for anyone.

Falkin88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    1911ly pretty much gave you the answer you need to know. A lot of times the sheath of the coax will list the cable specifications so you can get the proper connectors.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    The cable will be RG6. You will need a barrel connector, 2 compression fittings sized for RG6, some rubber tape, and some high quality UV resistant electrical tape. You will also need the tool to install the compression fittings. That is where the cost comes in.

Shootsforfun

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have accually been a cable tech......qualified even...have installed catv and dish/direct tv.........Yes get two compression ends and a barrel connector...this will require a tool for the compression fittings. this will work as long as your signal is good....the barrel fitting and the compression ends will deduct about .5db of signal strength each. Which can cause the picture to degrade.. worst case try it and see...then replace the whole cable if not. Tie the cable end to new cable and pull through...........hope this helps....

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    using a barrel will degrade signal - if its noticable, the dish needs aligned. just grab a crimper, a couple RG-6 ends, and a good quality barrel - either use an insualted barrel, or insulated ends.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    my apologies - wrong terminology. thats what i get for drinking and posting :D

i used to install for directv, so i know about the proper connections. a cheaper compression tool will work for a few fittings, and a $100 tool isnt necessary for a "non-professional"

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Why would you pay someone to pump stupidity into your home?
    \

I don't think I've ever heard it put more succinctly. I remember when my kids were little and I cut off the cable. All I remember is that I didn't want my daughter to grow up watching MTV, at least what they had back in the early 90's.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    there are some fun and interesting things on TV. not ALL of it is crap.

unfortunately, you cant subsribe to individual networks, so you end up with 99% crap. if i coudl pay for 5 TV networks that i want to watch, you bet i would.

if there is a network that still airs "animaniacs" and "hysteria!" i would pay for it. those were awesome shows.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    there are some fun and interesting things on TV. not ALL of it is crap.

unfortunately, you cant subsribe to individual networks, so you end up with 99% crap. if i coudl pay for 5 TV networks that i want to watch, you bet i would.

if there is a network that still airs "animaniacs" and "hysteria!" i would pay for it. those were awesome shows.

My kids watched Animaniacs, I loooooved that show.

I still can't imagine a pigeon talking in anything other than a Brooklyn accent.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    hahahahaha - this very moment i have a CD in my car with "the parts of the brain" "the balald of magellan" "the international friendship song" "the 50 states and their capitals" "the nations of the world" and "the presidents of the united states"

Top Bottom