• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brianinarng52d

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    I am looking at getting a carry gun as I dont think my super redhawk with a 9.5in barrel makes much sense to carry. Anyone with suggestions on accuarcy vs. cost?

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I tend to lean more toward reliability, reliability and reliability on my carry piece. Then I worry about such things as carry-ability, accuracy, power and capacity. pretty much in that order. Cost is pretty much an afterthought, sure I can't buy what I can't afford, but you can get nearly all of these for under $500.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Your going to be shooting at just a few yards. Litteraly any handgun will produce acceptable accuracy at this distance. I would be focusing on reliability and ergonomics. Check out the S&W M&P, or the CZ-75.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    if your worried about accuracy get the Judge

p1190842159.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ORlYmHtx78]YouTube - The Taurus Judge .45 Colt/.410[/ame]

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Please excuse the no hearing or eye protection and the (disinigrate the target comment), not to mention he is a horrible shot. Sorry carry on, done thread jacking!

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    I agree with most of the forementioned. To me, accuracy in a carry gun is last in the list. In the majority of self defense situations the attacker is close, very close and unless you had a sidearm that shoots around corners it is pretty much point and squeeze. Reliability is top of my list followed by effectivness on the target. Everyone thinks their needs are different and this auto-loader is better than that, but as long as you are confident in you piece getting the job done then it should. Me personally, with all my XDs, 1911s, and the Sig's and Glock I have had, I still prefer my little 5-shot stub nose 38 for carry.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    How many can shoot up to their pistol? One in five hundred, one in two hundred at most?

Accuracy is third or fourth on the list. Above all, the gun must work.

I tend to lean more toward reliability, reliability and reliability on my carry piece.

Seconded.:)

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    In my humble, just another plinker opinion, I agree with the first answer you were given. Carry-ability is number one. You'll only be able to defend yourself with the weapon you actually have on your person at the time you need it. I wouldn't buy some big cannon. As you've already figured out about your redhawk, carrying a big gun looks good in the movies, but it's a pain in the you know what in real life. And don't drink the Kool aid :koolaid: that you have to have an 18 shot automatic, either. Jtmarine is right about his .38 snubby. Plenty big enough to stop (or hopefully just scare off) a bad guy, but you can put it in your front jeans pocket an not be too obvious. Good luck, and there's my two cents.:twocents:
    Andy

PS
    I would practice regularly with whatever you do carry, as you'll want to be pretty comfortable and confident of your accuracy with it.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I am looking at getting a carry gun as I dont think my super redhawk with a 9.5in barrel makes much sense to carry. Anyone with suggestions on accuarcy vs. cost?

Pretty much any gun worth carrying will be accurate enough for defensive purposes. The shooter... that's where the question lies!

Find a gun that fits you, sits well in the hand, is comfy, and has sights you can actually see. Beretta, Ruger, Glock, XDs, M&Ps and other S&Ws, Sigs, H&Ks, Taurus, 1911s... all should be accurate enough out of the box for defensive work, and all are reliable machines.

Crimson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2008
    Columbus, Indiana
    I agree. A reliable gun is the most important thing for carry. Then I choose caliber along with how I shoot it. It should be a gun that you can practice with as much as you can to increase your accuracy with it.

But a reliable gun wont let you down or at least shouldnt. Dont get a gun for its looks or coolness.

This is a gun you will bet your life on. You can find them for less than $700.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Pretty much any gun worth carrying will be accurate enough for defensive purposes. The shooter... that's where the question lies!

Find a gun that fits you, sits well in the hand, is comfy, and has sights you can actually see. Beretta, Ruger, Glock, XDs, M&Ps and other S&Ws, Sigs, H&Ks, Taurus, 1911s... all should be accurate enough out of the box for defensive work, and all are reliable machines.

+1, great advice.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    I would second those who have said consider carry-ability along with reliability. If you won't carry it, it's not a good carry weapon. For many of us, this rules out full-size pistols (though some can pull it off). I would be thinking about Glock 19 size pistols down to airweight revolvers in .38 special.

I would also suggest something relatively simple to operate such as a Glock or revolver (no levers or safeties to operate if you pull it out in a defensive situation).

Cost on most weapons reliable enough to carry is going to be in the $500 range. And, as others have said, they'll all be accurate enough for self-defense.

Just don't get a judge! :) Get a little .38 before doing that :)

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    I've got to agree that the very best gun for SD shooting is the one you actually have with you.

If the gun is "too this" or "too that," you'll tend to use those faults as a reason not to carry it. The most accurate gun in the world isn't any help if you if you've found a reason not to carry it. There are plently of options out there, but my recommend is to find the one that fits your body style and carry preference first and foremost.

striker1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Michiana
    A carry gun is *very* personal. I like carrying (occasionally) a Sig 229SAS. Some will prefer a subcompact auto or a snubby wheelgun. Also consider how you will carry. Pocket holster? IWB? Guys who carry all the time will tell you that the choice of holster is supremely important.

brianinarng52d

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Thanks for the help guys, you all have made good and valid points. Hopefully I can find something suitable at the 1500 today.

HiTechVeteran

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Pflugerville Texas (Austin)
    Get a 1911 style. The cocked and locked is perfect.

In my area they live and breathe the Kimber Ultra II but they are scarce and expensive.

I am buying (after much homework) the Sig C3. It has great reviews and a proven history.

It also looks good and feels good in the hand.

Finally, I would not get shorter than 4" barrel either. When the barrel gets shorter, the accuracy goes down and controlability suffers too.

My Sig is going to have a 4.2" (standard) barrel.

Read the reviews, go to a gunshop (rent one) and fire what you think you want. Then decide.

remember! You will not have 10 seconds to think about sight picture etc. POINT AN SHOOT stuff here.

Top Bottom