• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have generally been disappointed by the accuracy of cheap FMJ bullets. Match bullets are great but pricey. Generally hunting bullets are at least slightly less accurate than match bullets. Since they were on sale, I gave MidwayUSA "Dogtown" bullets a try. I was really happy. Shooting at 100 yards with a stock Bushmaster DCM from prone position shows these are pretty good bullets. I know that a real benchrester with tripods and bags and scopes and all can do better. I am pretty happy with the accuracy from a combat rifle and iron sightes being held by an old man who was legally blind a few years ago. I put these hunting bullets over 24.0 gr H4895 sparked by a cci primer in used, mixed headstamp cases. I was still adjusting the sights to try to get the group on the dot so it would be sligtly smaller next time.
    picture.php

When I was competing, this would have lost me the match, but I gave a try at 100 yard standing off hand with the same rifle/ammo.
    picture.php

With practice, I may be able to shoot again

Last edited:

jlm223

Aim Small Miss Small
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Muncie
    That's pretty darn good, I have loaded the dog town bullets and would buy them again. Good Job. :yesway:

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    I use lots of bulk Winchester FMJ ,Ive used them for some NRA HP matches and got 460+ out of 500. Ive never used the Dogtown bullets but I think I will soon.

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    I use lots of bulk Winchester FMJ ,Ive used them for some NRA HP matches and got 460+ out of 500.

What powder do you like behind those bullets? I have only loaded 100 of them and I was kinda dissapointed in the first batch.

That being said I have just started loading for an AR. Normally I am loading for varmit rifles or other bolt actions.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    xring, 460's are good solid scores, way to go!

twenty, I used Hodgdon's H4895 on that load. I would usually go to VARGET first but I was out of Varget. H4895 is VERY close.

****WARNING****** This is opinion, so nobody needs to feel offended. I think most people load the .223 for AR's too hot. Why try to give the little bullet horse power out to 500 yards if you never shoot past 200 yards? Loads at the peak of maximum pressure can get flaky. Even when I shot the M1a, I didn't shoot full max 168 and 175 grainers everywhere. I placed high in a bunch of 100 yard matches with little 125 gr Speer bullets. At 200 and 300 I usually ran the lighter 150's. Why beat your rifle and shoulder up when you can win with a reasonable load.

Some barrel/bullet combinations shoot better on the lower loadings, some higher. Do not be afraid to start low, and if it groups good, just stay there. I know that seems hypocritical from a man that shot a 6.5 X 284, but I never chambered a round in that rifle for less than 600 yards and generally shot it at 1000. That is a good reason to load top loads.

Good Luck

Last edited:
    Top Bottom