• Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Up top you have 50 in-lbs and lower in the write up, you have 50 ft-lbs. I'm assuming it is supposed to be in-lbs?

YOU ARE RIGHT.

I was trying to write too many things at once.

50 FOOT LBS would break the screw. Don't try it ;)

Josh

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Kind of what I figured. I'm thinking about bedding my barrel this week now that I've read this. Cheap and easy mod that can't hurt anything to try. I'll take it. Haha.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    NK, I need you to get it running real well because I need something 'scoped to shoot against! :D

What 'scope is that on there? If it cost less than two or three times the rifle, it could be a lot of the problem too.

How much do you want for, say, 20 pieces of brass? I'll still need to get bullets, primer and powder, but the plan is to load up my own good stuff and buy more brass as I can afford it.

Josh

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Good info fellas, Im going to try an look into a lil bit better scope. But also going to try an shoot it just open sighted an see how it does

samariojeep

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Fishers
    Do you have any pictures you can share regarding bedding the barrel . I have a Stock 91/30 and i just sent my bolt to be modified properly for the ATI scope mount because the kit for the bolt doesn't give me a reliable vibe. Does the bedding concept apply to the wooden stock?

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    The bedding concept applies to any stock, but it's done to my wooden one, yes.

I will have to take pics of it next time I have it apart. My torque wrench is on the fritz right now and I really don't want to take the rifle apart until I have a replacement...

Thanks,

Josh

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    NK, I need you to get it running real well because I need something 'scoped to shoot against! :D

I'm going to work on it. For some additional baseline data, I am going to shoot some better ammo. I'm going to order some Priv Partisan and S&B ammo and start there. In theory, if Winchester is indeed .308 and I shoot it until my barrel warms up, could the slight difference between .308 and .311 be throwing off my shots..? I think it's worth a "shot".:dunno:

What 'scope is that on there? If it cost less than two or three times the rifle, it could be a lot of the problem too.

BEC Goldline 4-12x44... It IS cheap glass, but I bought it 5 years ago at the start of my Mosin tinkering. It has a good 500(easily) rounds worth of 7.62x54R recoil on it. However, it has never come off zero, and always has always yielded consistent accuracy upon cold bore shots. I've read TERRIBLE reviews online for these scopes, I guess I got lucky with mine. I've never had a problem with it.

I think the ammo and my barrel floating are my contributing factors to my reliable, slight inaccuracy. I do want to upgrade to some better "budget" glass sometime though...

My mosin is a fun gun, so I'm always playing with it, and I'm always trying to ask more and more of it. The rifle has always been good for "minute of coyote/pig/milk jug/etc.":):

How much do you want for, say, 20 pieces of brass? I'll still need to get bullets, primer and powder, but the plan is to load up my own good stuff and buy more brass as I can afford it.

Josh

Pm sent ;)

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Ordered my ammo.

60 rounds of Prvi Partizan 182gr FMJ

60 rounds of Sellier & Bellot 174 gr HPBT Match

I'll see if this stuff shoots any better. Like I said, it's worth a shot.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Excellent tips, Josh. And easy! Another place to consider shimming is between the trigger guard/magazine housing and the stock. A lot of these stocks have compressed wood and need a little thickness to get everything back where it should be. IIRC the Soviet manual for the Mosin describes using oil soaked paper to put a little upward pressure near the end of the stock. I've shimmed a couple of my main shooters with cut up drink cans under the reciever and/or triggerguard. Took some trial and error but the results were definitely worth it.

23mar03

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah....Really gonna have to get some pictures of this prac-ap to start modifying mine. You guys are really speaking another language or I'm not understanding the nomenclature.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I'll get the pics.

Right now, I am typing with a bad left thumb, and it makes things hard as I touch type.

Gunsmithing and such is not without its hazards. I did not secure a piece of threaded stock correctly, and it bent while spinning at about 2800rpm. Nice long piece. Cut and smashed my right thumb right where it contacts keys!

Regardless, I'll get pics up as soon as possible.

Josh

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Josh, quick question on the bedding.

Do you run a strip of cork the entire length of the barrel? I read somewhere else while searching for a how to, that they used a strip back by the action and one up by the end of the barrel. I don't remember where I read that though. That's the method I used. I'm going to try it tomorrow and see how it works. I also put a small piece under where the screws go in as well. Unfortunately I have no torque wrench right now, so I just winged it. Hopefully Im close with my ol mental torque wrench. :). As soon as my phone quits acting up, I'll put up a couple pictures that I took. They aren't super useful but I think you'll get the idea of what I did.

Here you can see where I sanded it down towered the end of the barrel to fit a 1"x2" piece of cork gasket material underneath the barrel.

5ac02b86.jpg

Here you can see where I sanded the wood down back towards the action to fit another 1"x2" piece of gasket material.

5cf8fae5.jpg

Here you can see the little square cut out that goes under the action.

56e8dd55.jpg

And where the rear screw goes in.

5611212b.jpg

I didn't use any adhesive at all because I didn't see anywhere that said to use it. I did put each 1x2" strip under the barrel bands though to hold them in place. The whole gun feels so much more solid and sturdy. I'll report back tomorrow with how it shoots.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom